small comment on cheating

Dario D.

Spy
Reaction score
Last night my brother and I were playing CS - I know, I know; he likes it. I'm not too interested (but can have some fun once in a while, just until I get thoroughly sick of dying)...

Anyway, we were having fun on a CS server, and he was doing really well with the super-duper Auto Shotgun.

SUDDENLYYYYYYY.... (breaking the calm) this guy gets on the server - course, nobody notices, or cares - but within seconds of beginning the next round everyone's dead.

Ok, isn't that what CS is all about? Dying and respawning?

But this was different. It took 3 very, very, very quick rounds before I realized what was happening.

This guy, when I caught sight of him, was running at ultra-speed and gunning down the entire team with perfect aim in under 2 seconds; head-shots almost all around.

The game... suddenly got... LAME.

So... boring. Everyone on both teams was complaining. People were leaving left and right as we waiting for almost 10 minutes while this guy went around and... well, I assume you could say, "had fun".

I couldn't believe how inconsiderate. So finally we just left...

And low and behold, on this new server, I spawned, died (go figure) and was spectating a player on the other team.

This guy was walking around, slowly, slowly spinning a perfect circle, as if he was some kind of bot, and when anyone got within view, he'd spin around at lightning speed and gun him down.

I guess you can presume that this guy was also, might you say, "having fun".

I have to say I've been playing lots of HL2DM and a little bit of CS for months, and I've never seen anyone cheat, but whenever I do find a cheater, everything gets soooo lame. What a perfectly good game it was until the cheaters arrived.

I wish they'd just get real and leave everyone alone. Play normally, the fun way. There's a lot more to life than, *cough, """winning""".

Anyway... that is all.

u cud make ure own server then if there are any cheaters, boot em` off,
b*stards

I know what you mean, I was on this one server where I daily go on and am respected by some others.
Anyway I was running about looking for the enemy and suddenly this flash of light came running around the corner and guns me down in the head.
I think anyone using cheats for a long period of time should have their steam accounts banned for like four months.

I've always been perplexed by cheaters & their reason's for doing so. It's a game FFS! If you don't play the game then what is the point? It's sad enough that we can find anything better to do than play games on-line (Face it, We need to get out more!) so stop for a minute & think about just how sad ass these people must be.

If you destroy what little pleasure your likely to get from playing a computer game by cheating then your left with absolutely no reason to play the damn game! Spoiling over people's fun must be the only entertainment these people get. I guess our only hope is that they will quickly become bored & move on or better still be booted & banned by admins. So much for VAC!!

My mod is going to have a feature where if it detects certain patterns (or ridiculously fast scorers [or fast movers] over a certain period of time) they automatically get kicked. (of course disabled during cheat-enabled matches)

I don't see why Valve doesnt do something like that.

Also, 4 server bans should be a ban from the game.

Cheaters enjoy pissing people off, that's why they cheat. Everyone gets angry, people start swearing and leaving the server, and the cheater is enjoying it immensely. A lot of people say that cheaters cheat because they suck but I don't think that has anything to do with it. They cheat because they enjoy making other people upset, not because of how skilled or unskilled they are..

The cheating is getting outta control now. I have been playing a lot of CS since I got HL2 in november and anyone who plays frequently can tell you that the amount of hackers in the last 2 weeks has been crazy. It seems that nearly every other server I joined in the past 2 weeks had cheaters, they weren't even trying to hide it.

Last night I was on a server and this guy had a super hack or some shit. It was a wallhack/aimbot/spin/autofire thing. It would make him spin lighting fast yet he could easily move on his own, his gun would auto fire when anyone was in view and headshot. I'm assuming all he had to do was move around and his hack did the rest of the work.

Dario D. said:

I disagree with this last bit. There are a lot of childish admins out there. I have never been kicked in CS:S, but I have gotten kicked a bit in BF1942. Why you ask? Because I feel no mercy when it comes to killing tard admins. e.g. last week my friend joined a game and he went to the undermanned side--which was being camped with the AC130 landed in their base killing them as they spawned. He asked me to join to help out... so I hopped in, killed the guys in our base and decided to take off in the AC130. I ran over one Apache and ran down the other.

Well, not 5 seconds later I get kicked, which stated "Kicked for 10min being a Smacktard".

Stuff like that happens all the time. I have gotten banned on other servers for having high scores. Based on what I have seen in the CSS community, admins are even worse. There is so much paranoia--and for good reason--about cheating that some servers kick what appear to be legit players. I have heard a lot of good players talk about how they get kicked/banned so often that they see it as a sign of respect.

Anyhow, letting tard admins determine the fate of your $55 game is a stupid move. I have every right to play the game if I abide by the rules--even if 4 admins kick me. Cheating is one thing, feeling the wrath of an 11yo admin who hates losing is another.

Dario: Ummm recognizing patterns of movement is NOT the way to detect cheaters!!!

First of all, excessive spinning can be caused by intellimouses (the laser ones).. They get confused and they aim in the air and start spinning like mad

Secondly, doing lots of kills in a row should NOT be another way to determine a cheater... My favorite example is in the game Call of Duty... I was in SP, had a sniper rifle and 6 guys came running at me, one shot BAM head shot them all cause they were running in a straight line almost.... 6 kills with one bullet... So under your method, I would apparently be cheating and of course I wasn't... Oh and then comes the issue of grenades :) Kill multiple pople instantly.

The only way you know if someone is cheating is by seeing which plugins they have loaded which is connected with the engine, and seeing what data the users is passing/calling (like if they are using aim_headshot variable, I would safely assume thats a hacking variable... thats actually partly how VAC works)

Hacking sucks, it will always be around... Programs are made by humans, and can be beaten by humans. Nothing is perfect.

Iced_Eagle said:
Dario: Ummm recognizing patterns of movement is NOT the way to detect cheaters!!!

First of all, excessive spinning can be caused by intellimouses (the laser ones).. They get confused and they aim in the air and start spinning like mad

Secondly, doing lots of kills in a row should NOT be another way to determine a cheater... My favorite example is in the game Call of Duty... I was in SP, had a sniper rifle and 6 guys came running at me, one shot BAM head shot them all cause they were running in a straight line almost.... 6 kills with one bullet... So under your method, I would apparently be cheating and of course I wasn't... Oh and then comes the issue of grenades :) Kill multiple pople instantly.

The only way you know if someone is cheating is by seeing which plugins they have loaded which is connected with the engine, and seeing what data the users is passing/calling (like if they are using aim_headshot variable, I would safely assume thats a hacking variable... thats actually partly how VAC works)

Hacking sucks, it will always be around... Programs are made by humans, and can be beaten by humans. Nothing is perfect.

Yeah, I know, it wouldn't work like that. I mentioned though, "over a certain period of time", just to make sure that spinning, fast-moving, or ultra-fast killing has been going on for an extended period of time without stopping before getting banned,... and not just once, or for a short time.

what Acert said

I agree. Too much paranoia, and people who play very, very often have increased chances of getting banned for dumb reasons.

I've never experienced it, but I can easily imagine.

(Ah, the good old BF1942 days. I've played so much DC, I just simply can't play anymore.)

Cheating seems to be the norm on Source and DM servers. Some Clans only play as terrorists on unbalanced maps like assault. I have begun playing other games for fun. As Steam/ValVe at large WILL not do anything about it. So why complain ?

So what do you play for fun online now? Other games I mean.

I'm on the hunt for a non-HL multiplayer game that's really fun.

(besides BF1942 I mean - already got thousands of hours out of that)

Someone did that on a server I was in, when we came up with a great plan.

Our team camped the spawn, knowing it would only be seconds before a flying, aimbotting cheater swooped down on us, and when he did ~20 players opened fire on him, dropping him almost immediately (the ragdoll was quite funny)
We did this for a few rounds, got bored and proceeded to go around gunning him down from various other vantage points (one scene reminiscent of the evil rabbit in Monty Pythons Holy Grail :p)
Anyway, this guy's score was about 15-7 even though he had speed hacks, aimbot and something that made him fly; the whole server was tormenting him; saying things like "you've got all the hacks and you're STILL a shit player!"

Basically, 30 people mocked and teased the cheater (he kept telling us to shutup) until he finally fled the server in shame. It was pretty funny.

bliink said:
Someone did that on a server I was in, when we came up with a great plan.

Our team camped the spawn, knowing it would only be seconds before a flying, aimbotting cheater swooped down on us, and when he did ~20 players opened fire on him, dropping him almost immediately (the ragdoll was quite funny)
We did this for a few rounds, got bored and proceeded to go around gunning him down from various other vantage points (one scene reminiscent of the evil rabbit in Monty Pythons Holy Grail :p)
Anyway, this guy's score was about 15-7 even though he had speed hacks, aimbot and something that made him fly; the whole server was tormenting him; saying things like "you've got all the hacks and you're STILL a shit player!"

Basically, 30 people mocked and teased the cheater (he kept telling us to shutup) until he finally fled the server in shame. It was pretty funny.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

wait, that was evil.

you people don't know the emotional effects it causes.

i pretty much stopped playing cs due to those evil people ;(

"f--- you, you cheating f-g"

;(

Heh, yeah, I don't know whether to feel sorry for the guy or say, "In your face". I choose sorry.

-

In relation to that incident, bliink - yeah, I was able to kill the guy ONE time; that's it. I tried again and again, but couldn't do it.

The funny thing was that the time I killed him I was just shooting the air out of mild frustration and he happened to get in the way. :E

His uber-h@x0rz aren't uber-h@x0r enough if he can still receive a nice headshot.

Dario D. said:

don't think so - that would just suck. 4 bans for cheating? what if you are a genuinly good player? I've been banned from a server cos I kill the entire apposing team two rounds in a row (I honest to God did it without cheating). Anyway, mistakes do happen. If you're detected cheating with 100% accuracy it should be an insta ban, and I do believe that is what the policy on steam is...

15357 said:
i pretty much stopped playing cs due to those evil people ;(
;(

I DID quit cos of that... I used to be in quite a good CS clan. I've been playing since the original 1.5 beta (way back when) then gave up for a while and rejoined at about 5, watched it go through to 1.5 retail and then to steam. Anyway, we had our own server and it was stupid. You had people comming on and emptying the server within minutes. We had Cheating Death, the Jolt anti cheat package thing as well, and it was just not worth jack shit. One of my friends from school came on my server (who incidently was rated #1 on the barrysworld CS servers, goes by the name of c0redump) And I was pretty much holding it even with him, even though he was cheating like a hoe.

I mean this guy had an AWP and was jumping round like a bunny, and then could not understand why he wasn't hitting me.

With a cheating death enabled server you're name gets prefixed with [NO-CD] if you don't have cheating death installed.

He had [OLD-CD]. I asked him to go and update his version of cheating death cos I knew he was cheating, and he replied "Whats cheating Death?"

Hmm. Anyway, I spoke to him about it the next day at school where he admitted that he used the OGC. I went round to his house the next day and watched him with it. It wasn't fun - Walk into a room, the OGC would take over, turn round and just head shot everyone without blinking. It was mental :(

Absolutely ruined the game...

The problem is this, and its impossible to solve...

Any anti cheat software that is 100% accurate has to be client side and use a client <-> server authorization and validation routine. All you have to do is crack this and then build it into your hack!

Am I the only one in this thread that finds playing against one or two hackers fun?

I mean, on occasion. There have been times that every CS server I go into has a hacker, and that can get frustrating.

Just remember, if you get mad, the hacker wins...

paulvinten said:
Any anti cheat software that is 100% accurate has to be client side and use a client <-> server authorization and validation routine. All you have to do is crack this and then build it into your hack!

Yeah, but most of these people are downloading there hacks from somewhere, not building it themselves. VAC may not stop the hardcore cheaters but it will cut down on the number of idiots that try to download hacks. With the amount of cheaters there is it's hard to think they all built their own hacks.

What I want to know is how VAC will ban people, I mean will it just be some lame 6 month ban from online play or will they permanently ban that persons steam account and every game associated with it? If it was my call I would ban that persons ip/steamaccount/hardware.......that way the loser would need to buy a new PC before he could try cheating again. I wish vavle would have went with Punkbuster but any anti-cheat is a good anti-cheat.

Off Topic: It's usually pretty easy to spot an aimbot, after the person shoots his\her crosshair will shake to the lower left and lower right, it looks very unatural. Remember people can toggle their cheats so it won't always automatically aim at someone but if they start shooting full-auto and their crosshair starts going crazy you'll know they cheat. I think they can also set how often it will headshot, the aimbot may be setup where the first 2 shots hit the chest and the 3rd will headshot. Always look for noobish behaviour, if the guy moves around like he has never played the game before yet his score is 19-1......he is most likely cheating.

Ok, here goes...

Cheaters. Why? What's the point? You're playing a, well, let's see, a max of about half-hour round that will end and then everything's gone. Sure, the memory lingers, but will they know your name? Or will they know j0hn3y R4Mb0's name? is there another j0hn3y R4Mb0 out there, who dosn't cheat? Will they whale on him, because of you?

They cheat to piss people off. Yay, revealed is the face of humanity. A bunch of cheating smacktards.

What would be fun, is, if there are cheaters detected, they automatically go on their own team - cheaters, get slowed by 75%, accuracy decreases 75%, and everyone is against them. Let's see your aimbot handle that, 1337 h4x0r 101!

*don't spoil the dream, don't spoil the dream...*

B 1, 5
B 8, 2
Insert
Aim 1.00
Hitbox 1.00
speed 2.90
knifespeed 1.00
speedkey 3.00

Thats the way to do it man lol

I have different views on cheaters. Heck I even think "bunny hopping" is cheating. If you have ever visited the my g0t clan website most of these people are really smart and some even post on the steampowered forums. The way they tell you to type in the cheat is really simple and it makes you wonder, "what was Valve smoking when they coded VAC?" They even comment on how bad VAC2 will be. I really hope that VAC2 has some kind of AI built into it. I want it to "learn" new forms and variants of hacks. Not just a lame software thats easily passible because it hasn't been updated in 6 years? I have been playing CS since 2001 and have seen a few hackers. But it does seem like they are coming out of the woodworks recently and have been blatently using the hacks. Or they don't even hack but spam the mic channel (and it does make you go insane, at least Valve put mute in). Maybe they are trying to use up the rest of their hacking time before VAC2 comes out, I don't know. I have 2 videos of hackers. And yes my in-game CS name is Jack The Ripper! #1st video #2nd video Thanks for making this thread!

I've seen everything you've seen Dario. The spinning thing, the speed hacks and aimbots in lots of CS servers. Me and my friend were playing compound one time on this server were theres rarely any hackers on it and then comes in this guy with aimbot (no speed hack). Before me and my friend can shoot at him he kills us with his gay auto sniper. Me and my friend decided to camp CT spawn because we thought it was the only way to kill or damage him (alot others camped it too). We did kill him a couple of times but me and him ended up leaving and went to a diffrent server.

Gotta hate the cheaters, like you said whats the point in them doing it, they dont (well shouldnt) feel l33t cuz its not because they are good frags just come to them, and all you do is make ppl angry.

WHATS THE FRIGGIN POINT!!?!?!?!

hool10300 said:
Heck I even think "bunny hopping" is cheating.

I am interested in hearing why, because in a server today I was singled out and abused by the admin because I was BunyHopping and he thought that it was not possible without a "hack."

It was on the map surf_ninja, and there was a loose no-kill rule.
The Admin had the route from spawn blocked, and wouldn't let anyone by. I got some speed and bhopped around him, and this got him miffed enough to accuse me of speedhacking and slayed me for several rounds after.

Well anyways, the server mysteriously began to lag a few minutes later (2k pings for everyone! WEE) and eventually died.

I guess I was just rambling there, but please, explain to me why you consider bhopping a cheat.

My humble opinion on the matter is, if you can learn to do it without a hack, it should be legal even if it may give you an advantage. Anyone can bhop, but sometimes those who chose not to resent those who do.

Its more of an exploit. I mean why can't you walk/run normally instead of hopping around? Expoiting is 2nd best to cheating.

Bloody HackerS!!!

When i was playing AvP 2 online (shut up, i like it!!) there was one marine who suddely flew up in the air, and every one being aliens, no-one could shoot him. so he was just gunning us down from in the air. All the people who were playing the game, 'THE RIGHT WAY', were swearing and using '!'s alot, as you should. but the round wouldn't finish till he died. had to quit and join another server. and guess what. on that server, someone was using sniper hacks. anoying.

I love AVP2! It's the only game I play online and I have only seen a couple of cheaters, but I agree - they suck. Needless to say, I haven't been in an online game for a long time.

um bunnyhopping is not possible unless the admin set sv_accelerate higher than 5 so its thier fault what a dumb*ss

Rusty100 said:
When i was playing AvP 2 online (shut up, i like it!!) there was one marine who suddely flew up in the air, and every one being aliens, no-one could shoot him. so he was just gunning us down from in the air. All the people who were playing the game, 'THE RIGHT WAY', were swearing and using '!'s alot, as you should. but the round wouldn't finish till he died. had to quit and join another server. and guess what. on that server, someone was using sniper hacks. anoying.

Hey, AVP2 is awesome! The Multiplayer is underrated and sooo cooool. It gets boring pretty fast IMO, but is still awesome.

And of course the uber-awesome Minigun from AVP2 - the weapon that hilights FPS games of the 90's. :thumbs:

Such a cool multiplayer game. Too bad...

But as I mentioned before, when the coolness subsides, it gets pretty dreary.

Never saw cheaters in my short time playing it :)

Cortzxxx said:
I know what you mean, I was on this one server where I daily go on and am respected by some others.
Anyway I was running about looking for the enemy and suddenly this flash of light came running around the corner and guns me down in the head.
I think anyone using cheats for a long period of time should have their steam accounts banned for like four months.

Anyone using any cheats for any amount of time ever should have his Steam account and IP banned permanently.

Even on cheat servers?
Those can be a lot of fun, but I don't think I would play there if I knew it would cost me upwards of $100 to get my games back...

Also, an IP ban is fairly useless, I'm afraid.
A MAC ban system would do wonders in VAC2.

i've never played against a hacker, but in anygame if i ever win to much i get accused a cheater then kick/banned it happens most in this one AVP2 demo i downloaded, people need to learn the diff betwin skill and hacks, thats assuming there is a diff, they both have the same effect none as "winning", maybe there arnt used to people winning honestly, so they think i'm hacking... DAM I MISS MY HL1 SO BAD, i just saw the ns 3.0 trailer and i hate myself for losing my hl1 so long ago, that was off topic. i'm going ta go play my fable

cya
p.s. cya

- kenyo, says... cya

enjoying reading this topic everyone.
lets remember these aren't really "hackers" as they are reffered, rather they are script kiddies. Most often than not they are a bit sociopathic too, they really enjoy pissing people off more than anything.
So when you see them in a server just leave ... don't say anything don't tell them they are lame (even though they are), just leave.. theyll get bored and stop eventually.
,laters

FireGiver said:
Most often than not they are a bit sociopathic too, they really enjoy pissing people off more than anything.

:LOL: Sociopaths eh? I dunno, I think they're more like... sociopathetic. :dork:

I feel bad for sociopaths, but not the latter. :dozey:

Back