Smoking

I have to hand it to you, the way you phrase everything you are covering your ass very well. The way you put it is "Well I would certainly support a smoking ban but in case anyone challanges me on that I want to make it clear I don't feel that strongly about it". Brillient. :LOL:

I don't get people that are for a total smoking ban, let people live for christ sake, you only get one life, live it the way you wanna live it.

lol.

You can live however you want regardless of the law. It's that society might jail you if you aren't careful.

Damage my health and I'll damage yours. If I have to breathe your smoke, you will have to breathe my wrath.

Damage my health and I'll damage yours. If I have to breathe your smoke, you will have to breathe my wrath.

Try harder tough guy.

I think it's funny all the brits who are against smoking but they can't hold their liquor yet they drink like ****ing animals.

Ban it. Their privilege to smoke violates my right to breathe clean air. If I want to go to a bar with friends and enjoy myself, why should I be forced to choke on nauseating fumes because smokers made a stupid life choice some years ago?

Haha "clean air".

Up to the bar, I say. You're not forced to choke on anything, because you can decide not to enter.

There are certain bars that do not allow smoking. Go to one of them.

When I said clean air, I was speaking figuratively. And exactly how many bars do you think have no smoking in cities/towns that do not have ordinances? Not many, let me tell you, and certainly not in the town I live in. In fact, the only no-smoking establishment I have had the pleasure of going to was a comedy club in NYC. It was great coming out of there after a few hours and not smelling rank as hell. And I'm so tired of the 'you can choose not to go there' argument, because you can 'choose' to step outside, or you know, not smoke at all.

So long as my choice is sanctioned bar the bar owner, I'll continue to smoke. And so long as that is the case, you can either put up with it or go somewhere else.

Am I a prick? Quite possibly. But I see no immediate reason to alter my habits in such places.

smoking has been banned from restuarants bars nightclubs for a number of years here ..as a smoker I cant say I'm all that bothered with the ban to be honest ..I dont mind having to go out for smoke as I smoke less because of it ..it's pretty much the norm everywhere anyways so no biggie

NOT YOU TOO! OH GOD! *stabs self with cigarette to death*

But in all seriousness I think its a dirty habit. Like picking your nose nad eating whatever comes out.

I don't smoke. I have fscking ASTHMA, cigarette smoke makes me unable to breathe. I don't support the government regulating anything to do with smoking. If a restaurant doesn't have a non-smoking section, I won't eat there. I don't go to bars anyway since I'm basically genetically guaranteed to be an alcoholic.

Sounds like the government is meddling with issues that should be handed by the citizens and bar owners. I don't support it. Leave the choice up to the people whether to visit a smoking area or not.

So long as my choice is sanctioned bar the bar owner, I'll continue to smoke. And so long as that is the case, you can either put up with it or go somewhere else.

Am I a prick? Quite possibly. But I see no immediate reason to alter my habits in such places.

I'm a smoker to.I agree with you totally on that.

I'm going to invent a new hobby called shit handling. It involves wearing rubber gloves, a nose plug, and sitting next to smokers and just generally manipulating it near their noses. If they don't like it they can damn well choose to leave.

And yes, i'm just bitter.

I'm going to invent a new hobby called shit handling. It involves wearing rubber gloves, a nose plug, and sitting next to smokers and just generally manipulating it near their noses.

I would like to learn as much as i can about shit handling, and would gladly sign up for your newsletter.

I'm going to invent a new hobby called shit handling. It involves wearing rubber gloves, a nose plug, and sitting next to smokers and just generally manipulating it near their noses. If they don't like it they can damn well choose to leave.

And yes, i'm just bitter.

:LOL: Good luck finding a locale that would accept it. ;)

Gov't buildings, should restrict it.

But when it comes down to private business, its their business, their choice.

Freedom is really the whole issue here. I feel like if I want to smoke I should be able to do it wherever the **** I want so long as I'm not harming other people. Public places ban is alright because I can understand how that's being negative to other people, but a ban on smoking in general would be ****ing stupid. As far as bars and other private establishments go, that should be at the discretion of the owner, not the government. Honestly, if you don't want to smell cigarette smoke, don't go to a bar where it's allowed.

Of course, whenever I'm smoking around nonsmokers, I try to be courteous about it.

Freedom is really the whole issue here. I feel like if I want to smoke I should be able to do it wherever the **** I want so long as I'm not harming other people. Public places ban is alright because I can understand how that's being negative to other people, but a ban on smoking in general would be ****ing stupid. As far as bars and other private establishments go, that should be at the discretion of the owner, not the government. Honestly, if you don't want to smell cigarette smoke, don't go to a bar where it's allowed.

Of course, whenever I'm smoking around nonsmokers, I try to be courteous about it.
hit the nail on the head.:cheers:

NO YOU'RE NOT. YOU'RE KILLING EVERYBODY AROUND YOU WITH YOUR NOXIOUS FUMES, YOU INSENSITIVE ASS. I BET YOU LIKE TO BLOW SMOKE IN THE FACES OF PARAPLEGIC CRIPPLES WITH BREATHING DISORDERS, DON'T YOU. I BET YOU LIKE TO SMOKE AROUND BABIES. YOU LIKE TO KILL BABIES. YOU'RE SHAVING, LIKE, 50 YEARS OFF THE LIVES OF EVERYBODY AROUND YOU. OMG AND YOU STINK SO MUCH TOO. I'M GONNA GO TO YOUR HOME AND PUMP RADIOACTIVE FUMES INTO YOUR HOUSE SO YOU KNOW WHAT IT FEELS LIKE EVEN THOUGH THESE TWO ACTS ARE NOT REMOTELY COMPARABLE.

/facetious non-smoker rant

NO YOU'RE NOT. YOU'RE KILLING EVERYBODY AROUND YOU WITH YOUR NOXIOUS FUMES, YOU INSENSITIVE ASS. I BET YOU LIKE TO BLOW SMOKE IN THE FACES OF PARAPLEGIC CRIPPLES WITH BREATHING DISORDERS, DON'T YOU. I BET YOU LIKE TO SMOKE AROUND BABIES. YOU LIKE TO KILL BABIES. YOU'RE SHAVING, LIKE, 50 YEARS OFF THE LIVES OF EVERYBODY AROUND YOU. OMG AND YOU STINK SO MUCH TOO. I'M GONNA GO TO YOUR HOME AND PUMP RADIOACTIVE FUMES INTO YOUR HOUSE SO YOU KNOW WHAT IT FEELS LIKE EVEN THOUGH THESE TWO ACTS ARE NOT REMOTELY COMPARABLE.

:LOL::LOL::LOL: STOP!! THATS TOO FUNNY!

Every time I'm smoking with people somewhere in public (usually far off to the side where these noxious, life-threatening fumes won't bother those of a more self-righteous mold) and I get the BALE EYE from someone who looks like they want to come over and shriek that exact rant at me, I just smile and wave happily and they usually don't.

It's hard NOT to **** with them though. Honestly. If someone comes up to me and starts to bitch at me about smoking, can you blame me for blowing smoke in their face after that?

I only smoke socially, but as that involves being outside or in public a lot, it means I still have to put up with a lot of morons.

P.S. F*cking LOL.

If a smoking ban would actually stop people from smoking, I'd be all for it. Unfortunately, like all illegal drugs, it would find its way onto the black market. If weed can, so can tobaco.
The ban in places of work etc I'm all for, as for the ban in pubs, it surely can't be that much of a hassle just to wait until you get outside before you light up, can it? On the other hand, I know a nearby pub has lost quite some business since the ban, so I'm a bit ambivalent. I'm generally for anything that would reduce overall smoking, seeing as second-hand smoke is harmful in chronic exposure.
I guess if they keep screaming at people how harmful smoking is, the message will get through eventually; the fact that people do give up smoking is living proof to that. If smoking becomes a social stigma, that will combat smoking more effectively than a ban. Provided that people aren't already addicted. If you already do smoke, then it has to be you own choice to stop. I suppose they should just keep up the quitting groups, they seem to work a bit at least.

Something interesting about the new smoking ban in Britain (which came into effect 1st July 2007) - Say you get a plumber to come round and fix something in your house, your house becomes a place of work and as such you're not allowed to smoke in your own home.

I'm against a total ban on cigarettes, and I'm kind of angry about recent legislation passed in Louisiana that prohibits smoking in restaurants and workplaces (the restaurant part, not the workplace). I think that the owner of a private establishment should have the choice whether or not to allow smoking in his establishment, and obviously the customer should have the choice of whether or not to eat there. Perhaps a simple posted notification at the door as to whether or not the establishment allows smoking would be in order.

Here's what I AM for as far as prohibiting smoking.

NO smoking in public places. Roads, sidewalks, any public property whatsoever. A person should be able to wait at a bus stop without have to breath in someone else's smoke.

That's about it, actually.

Someone here mentioned shit-handling as a new hobby to engage in at public places! :)

Well I got my own, more technically correct version: Cocaine blowing. No, it's not snorting it. You take about one kilo of cocaine in a bag, then you release it in front of a fan. After it is spread through the air, you run around the room trying to find a large cloud of it and sniffing it while it's in the air. If anyone dislikes it, they can just leave or not breathe.

Also, any reasonable person probably WOULD leave the second you took out the 1 kilo bag of cocaine.

Yeah, because that means someone's about to get shot.

Nemesis, what you're doing is essentially the equivalent of saying that champagne and everclear are the same in terms of health.

Back