Smoothing Groups won't work.

Uh-Oh

Reaction score
cb101 said:
To create a smoothing group, click the face edit tool, select the faces of the pillar, click smoothing groups and assign them a number.

I'm definitively having server problems. If screenshots don't load, use the attachments.

Since this is the first time I try to use this feature, I figured I must be doing it wrong. So, I'll be presenting what I'm doing with pictures, this way, people can point my error, AND others can learn.
Everybody wins.

Oh, this is a 4 part thing. My server is having problems lately, so if the pictures don't appear, just click the attachments.

smoothing_01.jpg

smoothing_02.jpg

smoothing_03.jpg

smoothing_04.jpg

I'm not sure how well the smooth groups in hl2 work. I've done tests with 2 pillars in the same environment, one with smooth groups and one without. I did not notice any major differences between the two.

That aside, it's best to have pillars be models, since world brushes with so many faces greatly add to compile time and lower in-game performance. Also make sure you set them to be a func_detail or at least have a func_detail endcap at the top and bottom, to prevent them from splitting the ceiling and floor faces into many polygons.

The number does not matter, it is just a smoothing group. It is only useful if you have multiple touching faces that you do not wish to be in the same group.

Well, I can't have it be a model, since I would need to actually model it. Which I can't because that would imply learning either XSI, 3D Studio Max or Maya (maybe one day). There is definitively something amiss in what I am doing because there is NO difference AT ALL weither or not I try to make a smoothing group for the pillar.

Has anyone succesfully used smoothing groups?

Thank you!

they need to make those smooth groups better in an update

hmm this is odd I've had no trouble doing smoothing groups, are you guys actually building the maps ? I mean you won't see anything unless you build the map with lighting, then you should see a difference. As far as using a model, post on the help wanted forum I bet somebody could make one for you in a few seconds, you could probably learn how to make one in the time it takes you to post and ask about it, I'd do it for you but I'm currently on my laptop and I've not tried working with the export tools yet.

Uh-Oh: After compiling using smoothing groups, when you shine your flashlight at the pillar does the entire pillar light up as one brush?

cb101 said:
Uh-Oh: After compiling using smoothing groups, when you shine your flashlight at the pillar does the entire pillar light up as one brush?
What do you mean? Cause it lights up "normaly"... want a picture?

Are my 4 steps correct?

AFAIK, if the smoothing group is set up correctly, when you shine your torch at say the top corner of the pillar, the entire pillar will light up as if it were one brush. I'm just curious if this is happening.

if worse comes to worst.. could you just up the amount of sides. as you will be making it a func_detail. so it won't increase the load too much. that might make the lighting abit better.

Back