Sniper Rifle Range

Hamsocks

Reaction score
Is the distance cap really necessary? I wasn't even aware of it until playing on the map "SnowBridge". For those of you who don't know, at a certain distance, your rounds fired as a sniper cease to do damage. You're likely not to even know this happens. I didn't until playing this particular map (I believe it's the most expansive out there right now). At first I just thought that because it's such an extreme distance, you just had to be super precise. But you simply can't damage someone after a certain range. Soldier's rockets and other projectiles travel indefinitely though. I just think that, like the crossbow in HL2: DM, the sniper rifle should have an infinite range to reward those really long down-range kills.

Sure it's necessary but afaik it's way longer than any good map actually offers.

Yes, I think all those lame custom sniping ground maps suck hard. In fact I haven't seen a single good custom map yet.

Sure it's necessary but afaik it's way longer than any good map actually offers.

Yes, I think all those lame custom sniping ground maps suck hard. In fact I haven't seen a single good custom map yet.

Orange_X, Box_Killer, and Warpath are all good maps.

I would sympathize, but since most maps don't have those extreme ranges and any map thats designed to reward the snipers above everyone else aren't worth playing, its not much of an issue is it?.

I have to applaud how Valve have given TF2 anti-scoutsknives protection. I have no sympathy for this not working. Play a good custom map like cp_castle. You can snipe plenty on that and it works fine.

The point is that snipers in TF2 are not meant for sniping similar to BF2 or DoD. TF2 is all about snapshots and close cobat sniping. Everyone is pretty close to each other and therefore there is no need for extremely long range shooting. Just play some proper maps that don't try to turn TF2 into something it's not.

The point is that snipers in TF2 are not meant for sniping similar to BF2 or DoD. TF2 is all about snapshots and close cobat sniping. Everyone is pretty close to each other and therefore there is no need for extremely long range shooting. Just play some proper maps that don't try to turn TF2 into something it's not.

Well put, i tent to push a lot as a sniper (given the right situation, i.e. the team is not desperately typing to fend off a charging horde) and not always successfully but its worth a go. There is nothing more annoying then a couple of camping snipers staying back out of the action. Its much trickier to snipe in the fray of battle (as is standard with all games), this is the difference between OK and good snipers.

Back