So How Does The Latest Vista Build Hold Up? -What They Don't Want You To Know-

I have to go against you too Kschreck..
I tried that build, and it ran as smooth as oil ;) I encountered one problem and that was about crappy drivers for my Nvidia network card.

Everything ran really smooth, and no lag as you said you had.

So I guess its your computer thats the problem. Sorry for you, but stop bashing things just because your computer cant run it :)

More people wont use it because of the drm bollocks than wont because of bugs or shit performance.

satch919 said:
I'm sure those problems will be fixed by the time it releases this Fall.
IF it realeases this Fall that is....

Personally, I doubt if it will make that window, but stranger things have happened!

It ran great for me. I used all the default drivers and I only got a hint of lag while doing graphically intensive things with multiple windows open. I don't remember my memory usage but I expect it was pretty high. However I have 2GB of ram installed on my machine right now.

I didn't get any install problems, errors or crashes. There was definately room for improvement but everything seemed to work like it should, with no problems. I think it was just something with your install/hardware config.

Oh and ATI Released Catalyst 6.2 Drivers for Vista.

My Rig

Athlon XP 2500
2GB Ram
6600gt
120 GB WD Caviar SE

Reaktor4 said:
More people wont use it because of the drm bollocks than wont because of bugs or shit performance.
like what ?

people have been freaking out about palladium/tc for 5 years, and they started again recently but that doesn't mean anything.

DigiQ8 said:
Yes, They built Vista from scratch, not like XP which was upgraded version of the older versions.

If thats true, howcome can I not play my win95 games on XP :frown:

DEATH eVADER said:
If thats true, howcome can I not play my win95 games on XP :frown:

Right click the shortcut/.exe -> properties -> compatibility [check the little box] -> run for Win95

:E

rosseh said:
Right click the shortcut/.exe -> properties -> compatibility [check the little box] -> run for Win95

Okay I was exagerating a bit. The only game from 95 I can't play is Constructor. The thing is that everytime I try and install I keep getting a message, "Constructor requires win 95 to install"

I have been able to install it in Dos, but when I come to play it, an error message pops-up indicating that I haven't inserted the disc. Mind you I haven't tried this in Dosbox, so I'll give that a try.

I have played Win Dungeon Keeper, amazingly it has the same kind of Stutter Bug from HL2, and the the music seems to be corrupted ;( .

I thought this was funny about the review
http://winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_5270_02.asp said:
Some of these files were found under the Program Files folder structure, because they were related to various application read me files. So even though I don't have Quake 2 installed on my Vista test machine, I now have a folder called Quake 2 under Program Files (Figure). That's because that folder on my XP machine includes various Word documents. Sigh.

rosseh said:

bingo :p

Gargantou said:
I'm also gonna buy it, but it's still annoying that even DX9 games will have to be software emulated..
I hope BF2 recieves a DX10 patch or something..

by the time DX10 comes out, BF3 or a squel to BF2 that uses DX10 will come out and BF2 will be treated as we treat BF1942 now.

Who the **** needs a new windows? I have windows XP. spent over 200 bucks personally on the operating system for my computers(have two of the damn things), from back in 2003. I don't ****ing NEED a new operating system.

Who the **** needs a new windows? I have windows XP. spent over 200 bucks personally on the operating system for my computers(have two of the damn things), from back in 2003. I don't ****ing NEED a new operating system.
Then Don't get it and don't complain cause Apple comes with a new every friggen year.
Xp has been around for a while, what 2001? Thats gonna be a 5/6 year differnce depending on when Vista comes out.

I'm holding onto XP as long as it takes. Nothing is inherently wrong with it. Gonna hold onto it just like I did 98 SE.

Nothing wrong with that. Getting the most of your money.
I'm getting it right away and dual booting Xp, Vista, Linux.

Xp for all my old 32bit games, Vista for all my new Dx10 64bit Games. Linux for working on websites.

I mainly get pissed because once these new windows OS come out, things tend to migrate to it forcing you to upgrade to use alot of features and stuff for new programs, or some new programs period. This is why I had to switch to XP.

Well... on one hand it's only in beta...anyone who has programmed before knows that debugging a program and getting it to work perfectly takes lots of time and lots of testing. But on the other hand knowing MS and a lot of their buggy software I really hope these are fixed before the OS rolls out, because your description shows the OS in an obviously unfinished state.

But either way I'm probably sticking with XP, I don't like the all the DRM that's rumored to be in Vista and don't really have the money for it. Besides, there's nothing at all wrong with Windows XP.

Xp has nothing wrong with it but Vista just offers so much.

Raziaar said:
I mainly get pissed because once these new windows OS come out, things tend to migrate to it forcing you to upgrade to use alot of features and stuff for new programs, or some new programs period. This is why I had to switch to XP.
that's like getting angry at mp3/cd players because they don't play tapes and companies start using [selling] mp3 players & cds..

how can you get angry at something like that, no matter what it is (mp3/cd > tape, vista > xp or whatever) ?

I installed this beta 2 5270 December CTP release on my laptop. Specs are:

AMD64 3200+
512MB RAM
ATI Xpress 200M - 128 Ded memory (not shared)
80GB HD - 4200RPM or w/e the speed for laptops are
Broadcom NIC
Broadcom Wireless
DVDRW/CDRW burner

Anydangway, I installed it and it took a little over an hour, and that's on a laptop HD. It had the drivers for my NIC AND wireless adapter! I was amazed. It ran at an ok speed, but it was a lil slow doing certain things but hey...it's a beta so it's all good. All around I'm impressed and I know the final product will be much faster. I haven't had a problem with Windows really since 98 so until MS starts sucking, I'm happy.

gweedodogg69 said:
I installed this beta 2 5270 December CTP release on my laptop. Specs are:

AMD64 3200+
512MB RAM
ATI Xpress 200M - 128 Ded memory (not shared)
80GB HD - 4200RPM or w/e the speed for laptops are
Broadcom NIC
Broadcom Wireless
DVDRW/CDRW burner

Anydangway, I installed it and it took a little over an hour, and that's on a laptop HD. It had the drivers for my NIC AND wireless adapter! I was amazed. It ran at an ok speed, but it was a lil slow doing certain things but hey...it's a beta so it's all good. All around I'm impressed and I know the final product will be much faster. I haven't had a problem with Windows really since 98 so until MS starts sucking, I'm happy.

more ram would increase your performance alot

Back