So is my FX5900 going to be intentionally handicapped, like it is in CS: Source?

jb2002smg

Reaction score
I play CS: Source both on my Alienware desktop with a FX5900 Ultra 256MB and my Inspiron 8600 with Radeon 9800 Mobility 128MB. My laptop defaults to DX9, meanwhile my desktop is forced to use DX8...which means that my laptop is more graphically detailed and looks better side-by-side with my desktop. Will this be the case with HL2, or will my fully DX9 supporting video card be unhandicapped?

It will be the same as it is now with CSS.

its not "intentionally" handicapped by valve.

its Intentionally by Nvidia, they lied through their teeth the entire time the Fx line was out about its dx9 features.

jb2002smg said:
Can I force it to run the DX9 instruction set?
Go to the command launch options and add "-dxlevel 90" typing mat_dxlevel 90 will not work for gfx5xxx cards.

mat_dxlevel 90

put that in console and you're in dx9 heaven, allbeit a laggy heaven :x

edit: that doesn't work? i used it today and it put it in dx9 (i think)

ShaithEatery said:
mat_dxlevel 90

yup :(

ShaithEatery said:
mat_dxlevel 90

Mat_dxlevel 90 doesn't work for geforce cards. So you have to put "-dxlevel 90" in the command launch option instead.

Just installed the latest nVidia drivers from Nov 4~5 and it defaults to DX9 for me now.

it is not "intentionally" handicapped, it runs in a mode suggested to VALVe by nvidia to get best preformance from FX series cards. u can force to dx9 as shown above but performace is worse.

shapeshifter, name one lie NVIDIA told about FX dx9 support. the card supports verything required of dx9.0b, it just isn't very fast at a lot of those things.

killer916 said:
Mat_dxlevel 90 doesn't work for geforce cards. So you have to put "-dxlevel 90" in the command launch option instead.

as far as i know, it works on my 5600XT

Graphics might not differ as much dx8 to 9 as cssource does. Might though.

i have 5600 and i am fine, you should be fine too just save some money up and buy one later i dont mind being graphichally handicapped for a few weeks.

Ages120 said:
Graphics might not differ as much dx8 to 9 as cssource does. Might though.
actually, dx8 and dx9 differs ALOT in hl2.
the water reflection and the water/shore shader are dx9 only.
also the engine sets lower spularity light count and lower bump map lod detail for dx8.

it looks clearly better in dx9, but most users wont be able to tell why since there are only "cosmetic" improvements.

Really... well right now getting a new graphics card is out of the question.... so i have to stick with my fx5700..... :(

I also have a 5900 Ultra 256 Mb and have noticed in CS:S that it is set to DX8 on the hardware. I thought that this card supported full hardware DX9? I haven't downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia (ill do this tonight) Will this make any difference?

On reading the post I can run a command for DX9, but where do I do this in the console?? Will I be able to use a console in HL2 to the same effect? Do I have to do this every time I want to play.

Does the latest driver do this all for me, do I bang my head against a wall because I bought the card for HL2 last year (Thinking it was gonna come out) and now realise I've wasted my money? Have I asked too many questions? Am i worrying because the games out tomorrow? Do I scream @ Nvidia? Help

Rossi

evecomm - FX5900 has full dx9 support but performance is not very good. VALVe default it to "mixed-mode" dx8/dx9 to deal with this. it really wasn't the best card to get for HL2. VALVe did warn ppl about this, quite loudly, to ATI's delight.

you can force it dx9 using the command listed above - dunno where the setting to enable the console is cos i don't have the game yet, but in CS:Source its under "Advanced" in the multiplayer menu i think.

"-console" as a command line switch might work too (right click on game in "My Games" in steam, select "properties", select "launch options", then u can set command line args)

the nVIDIA 6000 series card do not have this problem.

evecomm said:
I also have a 5900 Ultra 256 Mb and have noticed in CS:S that it is set to DX8 on the hardware. I thought that this card supported full hardware DX9? I haven't downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia (ill do this tonight) Will this make any difference?
gf5 cards HAVE FULL DX9 SUPPORT
drivers wont make a difference
evecomm said:
On reading the post I can run a command for DX9, but where do I do this in the console?? Will I be able to use a console in HL2 to the same effect? Do I have to do this every time I want to play.
1) u can type in "mat_dxlevel 90" in the console
2) u can add this command to your config and writeprotect ur config
3) u can add "-dxlevel 90" as starting parameter for the hl2 executable

1) is temortary
2) and 3) are permanent
evecomm said:
Does the latest driver do this all for me, do I bang my head against a wall because I bought the card for HL2 last year (Thinking it was gonna come out) and now realise I've wasted my money? Have I asked too many questions? Am i worrying because the games out tomorrow? Do I scream @ Nvidia? Help
drivers wont make a difference (see above)
you should bang your head agains metal pipes for buying hardware for urealeased games ...
screaming @ nvidia wont help a bit since evey1 knows for a year now that the shader calculation of the gf5 isnt quite compareable to atis first generation dx9 cards (9500 and 9700)

Thanks frag, gutted about the card Mut*a F***in Nvidia pile of sh*t

Typically I find this all out the day before the games released. Not a happy bunny. I know how to run the console etc and I'm hopping that the latest drivers help a bit. Just gutted - Card cost me £350 F*ck*n Nvdia pile of sh*t

Will never buy Nvidia again - Ever the only reason i got it was that the 9800 256Mb was sold out

evecomm said:
Thanks frag, gutted about the card Mut*a F***in Nvidia pile of sh*t

Typically I find this all out the day before the games released. Not a happy bunny. I know how to run the console etc and I'm hopping that the latest drivers help a bit. Just gutted - Card cost me £350 F*ck*n Nvdia pile of sh*t

Will never buy Nvidia again - Ever the only reason i got it was that the 9800 256Mb was sold out

Unless the Nvidia PR guys came to your house, and stuck a syringe of draino to your neck and MADE you buy the card, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Cheers Jacen for the time to reply. I'm slowly crying these last few hours away before HL2 is released. Where as an hour ago I was really looking forward to the release. You've mentioned about permanently writting the command into the config, where is this? In C:\....\steam\username\....???

Can i place the parameter into the HL2 exe once the game has been unlocked? Or is it possible to do this now?

Thanks again, just trying to run HL the best I can

I have a 2.8 HT P4
1 Gb RAM @ 400 mhz
and obviously the crappy nonforce nvidia card is this really gonna slow down on DX9 parts of the game?

:sniper: Nvidia must now lie with the :devil:

yes the FX cards were crap.... but don't knock the geforce 6 series cards as they are on a par for thier DX9 performance and IQ.

evecomm said:
Cheers Jacen for the time to reply. I'm slowly crying these last few hours away before HL2 is released. Where as an hour ago I was really looking forward to the release. You've mentioned about permanently writting the command into the config, where is this? In C:\....\steam\username\....???
"c:\steam\steamapps\username\counter-strike source\hl2.exe" -dxlevel 90
or edit it in the config:
c:\steam\steamapps\username\counter-strike source\cstrike\config.cfg

"c:\steam\steamapps\username\half-life 2\hl2.exe" -dxlevel 90
(not that the half-life 2 foldername may be different)
or edit it in the config:
c:\steam\steamapps\username\half-life 2\valve\config.cfg
evecomm said:
I have a 2.8 HT P4
1 Gb RAM @ 400 mhz
and obviously the crappy nonforce nvidia card is this really gonna slow down on DX9 parts of the game?
if u are running at 1024x768 or lower with no fsaa or aniso filter enabled, the gf5 5900 should be able to provide decent framerates in dx9 also.
so try to not to demand to much of ur gfx card (remember the 9800 pro were the same price and are only slightly better .. they also have trouble with aa+af+dx9 shaders, but the ati fanboys just want to admitt it :) ) and ull have a nice hl2 experience.

ill try to set up a little dx8 vs dx9 screenshot and movie park, but until now, the fx 5200 i borrowed doesnt seem to calculate the dx9 water ... well see if i can fix that.

Right-click on HL2 in 'My Games' then click - Properties - Launch Options and add the required commands in there. Then it'll do it by default each time you play.

The latest series of drivers for Nvidia, narrow the performance gap between ATI and Nvidia considerably. They have a noticeable increase in performance in DX9 operations with no detrimental effects on image quality. I don't think that anyone with an FX5900 need worry.

I've got an XFX 5700 256 so I'll worry away :p

Meh, who knows, I might actually be able to run it in DX9 without my computer exploding. Guess I need to save up for a 6800.

Does anyone know if the disappearing water "bug" has been fixed when using Directx 9 with an FX5900. The card runs ok in 9, but water is invisible. I can live with 8.1 for now, but would much prefer some nice reflective water. :)

Great help guys and thanks for your time. I've downloaded the latest drivers, I think they're from 9th Nov 04, but before installing I ran CS:S with DX9 using the command @1280 x 1024 with AA X4 the other one at X4 with everything on max and it runs fine, so fingers crossed HL2 will be fine with DX9.

I suppose it'll be the same command in the launch properties, as it's all source releated as per the picture a couple of posts ago (Cheers for that 2)

Rossi

In DX9 heaven (he hopes) :afro:

fragShader said:
it is not "intentionally" handicapped, it runs in a mode suggested to VALVe by nvidia to get best preformance from FX series cards. u can force to dx9 as shown above but performace is worse.

shapeshifter, name one lie NVIDIA told about FX dx9 support. the card supports verything required of dx9.0b, it just isn't very fast at a lot of those things.
The lie is the fact they kept claming it could do it well, while every site under the sun proved that as false.

Back