So my computer isn't turning on...

What OS are you using? I'm pretty sure that with Windows XP, the video card is going to be the biggest factor for games. Not as much for Vista and 7. I'm not sure how significant the difference is though.
Wat.

Explain.

I think DX10/11 allow more of a game's graphics processing to be offloaded to the CPU (e.g. shaders), and CPU duties offloaded to the GPU (e.g. AI routines). I'm not sure though.

Anyway: I'm upgrading to socket AM3 today. Spreading my money around, but focusing on the motherboard and CPU right now, since my GPU is still operational. So I have a couple questions.

- Are there any AM3 boards that support DDR2 and DDR3 at once, so that I don't have to buy new RAM yet?
- Is the performance difference between DDR2 and DDR3 really, really important to consider with upgrading?
- And the difference between AM2+ and AM3?
- Would a "Socket AM2+/AM3" board support regular ol' Socket AM2 processors, so I don't *have* to buy a new processor too? :p

At this point I just want my computer to turn on, and have a future-proof CPU socket. Full scale upgrades can come later.

If I were you I'd get an AM3 board with DRR2 or DDR3 slots. The Athlon 2 250 is fast enough to feed those GPUs without FPS tanking* but is only dual core. So if there is a game that really uses 3 or 4 cores you could be 'missing out'.
Phenom X4 940 @ 3GHz is quad
Phenom X3 720 @2.8 GHz 3 cores at slightly slower clock
Athlon II 250 @ 3GHz is dual core

Here is a short article about GPU/CPU balance that has the Athlon II 250 in it. Both dual core CPUs in the first graph show FPS steady no matter what resolution. So at resolutions people play it is not far off from the other CPUs (in Farcry 2 at least).

You'll have to check with the specific board but AM2/AM2+ and AM3 should be all 'compatible'. Each socket version and CPU that matches has more features or extra bus speed. Putting a AM3 cpu in a am2 socket would make the bus run slower but the CPU should run fine.

I'm sure there are some boards with both DDR2 and 3 but I would just pick one. If you have enough DDR2 then stick with that. If you only have 2gb of DDR2 but you wanted 4gb then pick DDR3 and just get all new sticks so they are not mixed (mixed would still work but more issues).

Wat.

Explain.

I remember now, it was something I read in a tech article on DX10, like from way back when Vista was still in RC probably.

Honestly I thought it was pretty well known, but I can't elaborate or find any information on it, so I wouldn't worry about it. It was basically that Windows was giving the Graphics card all of the tasks, and DX10 intended to let the CPU do certain things.

Back