so they have to...

commando

Reaction score
Ok so some are saying that valve have to re-write the whole hl2 engine?

i mean wasn't that what took them 5yrs to do anyway!

Can't they just do what they delayed it for, and then patch the game up to prevent cheaters.

How many of you still think it will be out this year? because i so want it to come out this yr! grr.

Couldn't you have just found the thread in which someone was claiming this and responded to them accordingly? Why new thread why? Always new thread!

well.

the people at valve (so people say) have to re-write the whole thing again? how long will this take?

valve's main consern will be the source code leak and doing something about it. then finishing off waht ever the delay reason was!

I hope they bring out the single player game. I don't really care about the MP. I just want to play the game.

It will be out this year. I don't think Half-Life 2's release date will be affected much if at all by the leak. Most people are exaggerating the situation.

well i would love the sp and mp version and i SO won't care about a Patch!

They DONT and WONT have to re-write the whole engine, thats insane.

dont worry, I presume they'll have their programmers altering certain parts of it but re-writing the whole engine is not feasible.

Fixing areas that people can use for cheats might be what they'll do,
its definetly a horrible thing but nothing they can do about making a new engine, no way

yea maybe alot of people are over exagerating, but i just hope it comes this yr!

i so can't wait for october to be over! :) then i will have call of duty and commandos3 and hl2 will be ready for its final number of weeks to be out.

What's the difference between a compoter game and pizza?
A pizza is still good when it is cold.

A computer game have a "best before" date of a year or so. You cannot simply rewrite the whole game and expect it to still be hot. Several of the things that Half Life 2 seem to be solving great this year will be standard down the road. If you delay rewrite then you run a good chance of going down the duke nukem trail.
If Half Life 2 is delayed beyond doom III and the new quake engine then they will lose a lot of money in both direct computer game sales and (probably more importantly) licensing fees. So this put a lot of preasure on them to not delay the release.

It is also probably quite simple to rewrite some of the code (renaming functions, changing number of parameters, switching order of parameters, rewriting some bases classes etc) to make the old code incompatible but rearchitecting the whole game is another matter.

I think this leak probably put presure on Valve to release the game sooner rather then later. Buit they need to make sure that steam is not compromised... (not sure if that code was part of the leak or not).

R

Being that it would be patched over steam, you would not necessarily notice it.

is that a bad thing or a good thing? :)

Either I don't know what I'm talking about or Valve is full of shit.

Half Life 2 will be released Holidays 2003. Until an official statement is made saying otherwise, shutup about it.

Originally posted by silent
Either I don't know what I'm talking about or Valve is full of shit.

you don't know what your talking about

The only things they would possibly need to re-write is the network code or steam code/hooks. They may also re-write the copy protection code, but since it will be cracked anyway, that is a waste of time.

I think that this may delay HL2, just because of the multiplayer aspects. If this was a single player game only then any impact would be minimal.

There is NO REASON WHATSOEVER to re-write the entire engine. Just cause it was leaked doesn't mean it is no good or anything.

HL2 will be out fully both SP and MP this year.

hmm.

thanks all. i just hope the game is out this year. i just wanted to know how long it would take if they had to re-write it.

and if they was even going to re-write it again, or people guessing again.

if they have to rewrite it, I think the max date will be Jan 04.

Originally posted by G0rgon
if they have to rewrite it, I think the max date will be Jan 04.

well. that is ok i guess.

but if it DID come out in 2004 i think the hackers who did this would release something they got. or what ever they was supposed to release?

If they have to rewrite it, it would be Half Life 3.

what is this shit. this is like the 24356245 thread of its kind. why dont you go back to the hole you crawled out from.

Originally posted by Cyphron
what is this shit. this is like the 24356245 thread of its kind. why dont you go back to the hole you crawled out from.

dude why read this post.....?

also i knew about this source code leak like the day they announced it!

i was just asking HOW LONG would it take to re-write, and what are peoples opinions on the release date now!

so lay off.

Back