So what type of game info COULD be in the source code?

Netherscourge

Reaction score
Character Names?
Places?
Weapons?
Events?
Secret Areas?
Plot lines?
Dialogue?
Security code?
CD-Key info?

Stuff like that? Or is it pure machine language?

Just curious about what could be obtained in it. Because if there is sensitive stuff in it, wouldn't Valve have to delay the game again and rewrite some of the code?

PLEASE DO NOT POST WHAT IS ACTUALLY IN THE CODE IF YOU HAVE IT. I just want to know what type of stuff could theoretically be compromised...

charachter name
charachter info
weapons
new info

stuff relating to that...

most likley machine language

not exacly like

charecters: alyx gordon
security code:****-***

i think its like kjsgfdklgj09ru49350945 lol i dont know

more like this....

"Alyx, the female sidekick and love interest that's taking the world by storm!

Try the new Alyx Brite toothpaste!
Alyx lederhosen!

FIXME: need a better comment block"

itll probably be coded in something like c++ or something like that :)

but hardly any use to pretty much 95% of teh world...

TheRook

It would describe all the innovations and clever things that valve has thought up with loads of work over the last 5 years. The ramifications of that are obvious. Other companies copy it, game technology leaps foreward but gets really mediocre and stagnates. valve goes under.

i've been scavenging through alot of it today, and heh, there's no asm code in c++.
npc_alyx.cpp for example. it's pure ascii of course, how else would one write it?

all the gun names, npc names, but it's all just stuff the programmers have named them for easy reference in the code.
it's not like.. THE game.

phew. Well in that case, what's the big mess about? Since I can't downlaod it, can someone see if the scource contains:
  • Render engine code
  • lowlevel netcode
  • AI or behavioral code
  • physics engine code
  • other supposedly nonreleasable engine core components

It would help to see what specific damage has been done.

Well, i learnt of a new character looking through the code.

Yea - I just saw the thread on the Steam forums with alot of source code stuff revealed in great detail. I couldn't help myself from looking through it.

*slams head into desk repeatedly*

How ironic that Steam mods let that thread stay their, unlocked and un-censored...

Seems like all the air in the HL2 hype machine just got sucked out into the vaccum of outerspace

:(

Originally posted by FictiousWill
phew. Well in that case, what's the big mess about? Since I can't downlaod it, can someone see if the scource contains:
  • Render engine code
  • lowlevel netcode
  • AI or behavioral code
  • physics engine code
  • other supposedly nonreleasable engine core components

It would help to see what specific damage has been done.

Physics, AI specific to enemy although yo uneed to know a bit of C++ to really decode it. I think it has a render engine but no models to render. Plus its not complete or people would of already compile it. The hammer tools are more than 80% complete, people have compiled them....

it's a shame really :borg:

Its not going to stop anyone from buying the game though.

:cheers:

Wow, no restraint at all. What the hell's a matter with you guys? Rooting through source code to get some tidbits about the game.

Maybe now is the time to learn about self-control.

Its damage assessment. I asked for true/false answers as to wether or not certain closed portions of the engine have been unleashed.

Originally posted by manny_c44
Wow, no restraint at all. What the hell's a matter with you guys? Rooting through source code to get some tidbits about the game.

Maybe now is the time to learn about self-control.

I didn't look through the code itself - some dude dug through and posted Weapons, Character Names, Vehicles, Multiplayer, etc... stuff.

I, I ....... I couldn't help but look at the post. I, I... I failed. The information, it's so tempting, it's my..my precioussss.

We're talking weapons,
damage,
monster names and damage,
multiplayer classes
objects in game (boxes, placeholders)

that's all I can think of coding-wise.

Back