So what's the deal with the different versions of this game? (aka "Help a Noob")

G

Gorkle

Hello everyone.

I'm looking to get hold of Half Life 2 after playing the demo from Steam, but I'm not sure what to get. I've heard this game is dependent on Steam to run? Or is that just the GOTY edition? And if so, is it worth buying the GOTY edition for the other two games that come with it, or is it worth sticking with the standard edition?

Thanks in advance chaps.

I think Half-Life: Soure comes with the GOTY edition but I don't know what the other one is. HLS really isn't worth anything. It's a port of Half-Life to the Source engine and doesn't add much except different lighting effects and pretty water. You also cannot get HL1 mods or Opposing Force (HL1 expansion pack) for HLS.

All versions of Half-Life 2 are the same and all require Steam.

If you have a credit or debit card, I personally recommend the "Valve Complete Pack".

http://steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=game&AppId=220&cc=US

It comes with Valve's entire catalog, including HL1, HL2, and HL2: Episode 1. It also comes with all of the mods for those games, like DOD, DOD:S, CS, CS:S, etc.

Playing HL2 requires Steam, no way around it. If you purchase it on Steam, then it's added to your account. If you buy it in a store, then you open Steam and click "Activate a product on Steam", and enter in your CD key.

How you buy it is up to you; some people don't like buying games through Steam, and choose to get a tangible product instead (or they don't have a credit card), but I'm perfectly fine with buying things through Steam (I've done it with every game I own that came out after HL1).

Welcome to the forums - that's probably the sanest first post I've seen in a while.

here's the scoop

Half life 2 Episode 1 is good the downside is that the game takes place in a big building and you have to shut down the core...gets boring.
half life(2) no episode one, you start in a train and you get to interact with the environment more than in EP1.
in conclusion i think half life 2 is better than EP1.

Half life 2 Episode 1 is good the downside is that the game takes place in a big building and you have to shut down the core...gets boring.
half life(2) no episode one, you start in a train and you get to interact with the environment more than in EP1.
in conclusion i think half life 2 is better than EP1.

Have you played through all of Episode 1? It doesn't all take place in the citadel.

Ok, all you do is use the damn gravity gun an pick up energy balls and start up the damn briges.

Maybe what you said would make sense if you actually had played through anything more than the start of both games. :sleep:

Ok, all you do is use the damn gravity gun an pick up energy balls and start up the damn briges.

Again; You have not played the entirety of episode one. The game does not take place solely in the citadel, and it does not revolve solely on stopping the core.

Before you make another comment in this forum regarding the content of any game, you should play that game more than 30 minutes.

And it might help if you played them in storyline order.

pssh fine. I still think they should have inter graded more weapons into the first part instead of having the gravity gun for so long.

Since you didn't finish Half-Life 2, you don't understand a god-damned thing about the beginning of Episode One.

Stop bitching.

Back