Socket 939

Finally Anandtech comes out with their review.

BTW where's Intel in all of this? I'm sorta waiting for the competition here.

Asus i dont think intel will have anything that can compete with the 64 lineup. unless you want to buy the extreme edition. (but who the hell has the money for that) The upside is it looks like intel has a motherboard with both AGP and PCI exspress DDR and DDR2 all on the same motherboard.

that really dispapoints me that instead of decreasing prices AMD increased them. Now im really pissed of because i was going to buy my computer as soon a socket 939 came out with the 3800

Can you blame them? hehe
A 3.4GHz P4 EE is 1000$ which is Intel's closest CPU to A64's in gaming.
A P4 3.2EE costs $912, A P4 3.2E costs $290, A P4 3.2C costs $279...yet a A64 3200+ costs $282.
They will come down when Intel decreases their prices.

btw here is a review at Ace's Hardware, here at TBreak and here at ExtermeTech.

Intel's new stuff is coming pretty quick. I don't know about the Grandsdale chipset, but the P4 is getting a 1066MHZ FSB soon, amungst other things.

when i update my mob/cpu in 6 months i wonder who is going to be on top, intell or AMD...

well asus looks like there IS a 939 fx-53! yay!

::changes sig::

guinny said:
well asus looks like there IS a 939 fx-53! yay!

::changes sig::
Yay!

Be on the look out for Socket 939 boards.

Yep...i believe the current best one coming out is the ASUS A8V

Socket939 board with an nForce3 chipset and a PCI-Express (+ PCI-X) slots will be my next mobo, don't think any of them exist yet though.

As far as competition between Intel and AMD goes, all the benchmarks ive seen so far show the same results - Intel are best for mundane tasks like video encoding and archiving, where as for all the good stuff (games etc) the FX-53 is king.

Hence why i'm staying AMD.

PCI - X would be good to have on your board, although u dont really need it for like another year or two. and by then ull probably want a new board anyway. However the ASUS A8V does feature dual channel ram unbuffered (so ****ing sweet), and pci-x, as well as normal pci and agp. its equivilant to the SK8V (hence the name A8V), except for socket 939 and with the extra goodies.

so, when is the 939 FX-53 goin on sale? and how bout the Mobos?

Asus board preview. - Link
Sometime this month. Don't expect them all to come out too quickly now. hehe
Socket 939 has very nice performance and adds that extra touch to the A64 line. Right now they are still expensive (might as well buy a FX53 ;) ) but it allows for a stable platform for the future and as prices drop then it will be more mainstream.

PCI-X != PCI Express

Only Workstation/Server boards have had PCI-X (It has been out for quite a while now).

Link
Far slot on the left is PCI.
4 other slots are PCI-X.

but the P4 is getting a 1066MHZ FSB soon, amungst other things
saddly benchmarks with a 1000 mhz FSB showed no imporvements in gaming.

Back