Softimage Expands Game Development Suite With New ‘Mod’ Tool

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I received this press release this evening from Softimage and thought it was worth a mention to you budding modders out there:
Company extends ability for gamers to manipulate and create content for Half-Life 2 and other video games[br]
[br]
Tewksbury, Mass. – December 22, 2004 – Avid Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ: AVID) today announced the SOFTIMAGE®|XSI® Mod Tool – a free version of its award-winning 3D animation software designed for gamers who are interested in modifying the content of popular video games. As part of the company's 3-Democracy plan – to make the most advanced 3D content creation software accessible to all levels of CG professionals – the SOFTIMAGE|XSI Mod Tool is available immediately from the Softimage website (www.softimage.com), and enables users to generate material for Half-Life 2, the recently released action video game by Valve. Gamers and enthusiasts known as “modders” – who routinely change the way video games are played – can now use the SOFTIMAGE|XSI Mod Tool with Valve’s Source Software Development Kit (SDK) to create props, characters, environment models and output their content directly into Half-Life 2 and other Valve Source™ engine-powered titles. Through the use of additional plug-ins, the Mod Tool can also be used with other leading interactive game titles, extending playability of existing and upcoming games.[br]
[br]
“Since we started working with Valve several years ago, it has always been a priority to ensure that fans would be able to easily customize their Half-Life 2 experience,” said Gareth Morgan, senior product manager for Softimage. “There are thousands of passionate gaming enthusiasts out there who are deeply immersed in video game art, and many see themselves as the creators of tomorrow. Continuing our 3-Democracy vision of 3D everywhere, we developed the XSI Mod Tool specifically for this mod community, giving them easy access to professional-level 3D character animation software and enabling them to alter the content and extend the life of their favorite games. Alongside Valve’s pioneering investment in the mod community, we are really excited to be able to offer support for all of Valve’s Source titles – and we look forward to working with other game developers in the future.”[br]
[br]
Building on the SOFTIMAGE|XSI EXP for Half-Life 2, which was released at the 2004 Game Developer’s Conference and has been downloaded by over 100,000 users, the SOFTIMAGE|XSI Mod Tool is based on the same professional architecture as SOFTIMAGE|XSI software. The SOFTIMAGE|XSI Mod Tool includes multiple toolsets for creating, texturing and animating props and characters, designing and previewing real-time effects, and outputting the results. It also includes the next-generation normal mapping features found in SOFTIMAGE|XSI 4.2.[br]
[br]
“For many of our fans, modding is a key element of the Half-Life 2 experience,” said Gabe Newell, founder and managing director for Valve. “Since introducing popular games like Day of Defeat and Counterstrike, we have seen incredible projects sprout from within the gaming community. I am thrilled that modders now have access to a free, professional-level tool based on the same software our own developers and artists use to develop our award-winning games. I can’t wait to see – and play – what the community comes up with.”
Included with the press release was the following screenshot which should be familiar for those of you already using SOFTIMAGE|XSI EXP for Half-Life 2.[br]
[br]UPDATE: I have been asked by a number of people to provide more information.

Currently this new version is only available from FilePlanet and FileShack. It weighs in at a hefty 202.47MB and more information can be found here.

That's cool. I recently uninstalled XSI mind. Chris, is it a totally new program, or is it like an update. If so, how large?

It's a brand new tool derrived from the one you're all using at the moment. As I understand it has better exporters and other cool features. The file size is 170MB available from FileShack or FilePlanet.

It can all be downloaded from here.

i'm still confused. i started getting it (it was 202mb btw Chris :p) and i noticed 'demo' somewhere in the filename.

I'll just leave it for a while until i know what i'm getting properly.

Not that i could use it anyway!

GonzoBabbleshit said:
i'm still confused. i started getting it (it was 202mb btw Chris :p) and i noticed 'demo' somewhere in the filename.

I'll just leave it for a while until i know what i'm getting properly.

Not that i could use it anyway!
The SOFTIMAGE website was wrong, thanks for pointing that out.

It's already been explained to you what it is, it's irrelevant that the word "demo" is in the filename, it is a full version. Here's the info from Fileplanet:
The XSI Mod Tool is the only full-featured, professional prop and character creation software available to game enthusiasts and modders for FREE. Based on SOFTIMAGE|XSI Foundation, the XSI Mod Tool brings the most advanced high-end art tools available to the mod community. Everything you need to create and rig your characters, props and environment elements is here. Design, build and texture your artwork. You can then mix and blend animations, render interactively, or use real-time shaders. Once you're done, simply export the models to your game.

is the requirrenets still that u need a high res monitor, mine can only go up to 1204 by 702 or what ever it is

Should work at 1024x768 as far as I know.

it works in lower resolutions...there's a known issues for lower resolutions bit at the bottom of the limitations section and it only says it requires more scrolling

Back