Some info on Half Life 2 game?

chuawenching

Reaction score
Hi there,

1) I am wondering is half life 2 base on directx9 or opengl.

2) Will half life 2 engine available to download like what happen to half life 1.

3) I really suprised and convinced with half life 2 effects... they are really cool!

4) How type of physics engine is half life 2 using? Havok or Mathengine or Tokamak or ODE or inhouse physics engine?

5) I notice that in half life 2 preview, the 3d models in there looks pretty high polygons... just wonder the main character of the game, how many polygons is it?

I am actually interested to write my own game engine.. but sounds like it is impossible as half life 2 is too superb!

Any help please. I hope i ask at the right forum.

Regards,
Chua Wen Ching :p

1) Directx 6/7/8/9 (depending on your card)
2) There will be an SDK
3) Me 2!

4) Havok 2 just like Max Payne 2 does.

5) AFAIK, weapons are 2000, players are 3000-7000

Thanks.

Wow.. there will be an sdk... will it be out soon or after half life 2 game is released?

Just wonder if i ever develop games on top of half life 2 sdk, is it free? Do i need to pay any license?

Wow, they use havok 2.. havok 2 is so expensive.. there is even no evaluations at all!

Any way thanks.

Regards,

From what Valve has said...
The headcrab is supposed to be somewhere around 3000 triangles.
The major characters like Alyx, the GMan, etc are around 7000... and the less important/detailed characters are probably a bit lower, maybe 5000-6000.

Wow.. that is a lot and huge!

And i do notice that their textures are nice!

Should i ask where to do cool textures in here or the models & skin forums?

Regards,

Texture sizes are 2048x2048 maximum, they support normal mapping and specular mapping. Characters support this also but only on DX9 compliant cards.

As lighting HL2 uses lightmaps combined with realtime shadowing.

Vehicles will be around 7000 polygons, the E3 buggy was 10.000 but wasn't optimised yet.
But there isn't a real polygon limit.

Wow... that is really huge and the amount you are telling me is getting bigger..

Wow.. i never knew half life 2 engine is so great! Greater than i expect...

I definitely will buy the orginal. My brother bought the earlier half life version.

Thanks.

Actually half life 2 is for PC right.. not for xbox or ps2?

Originally posted by chuawenching
Wow... that is really huge and the amount you are telling me is getting bigger..

Wow.. i never knew half life 2 engine is so great! Greater than i expect...

I definitely will buy the orginal. My brother bought the earlier half life version.

Thanks.

Actually half life 2 is for PC right.. not for xbox or ps2?

It's for the PC and Xbox, Xbox version will come some time after the PC release. But if you have a good enough pc to run HL2, I'd suggest to take the PC version.

But if you have a good enough pc to run HL2
--> wow does that mean half life 2 requires very high 3d graphics + memory + processor?

At least what is the requirements?

Any idea?

re: 2048x2048 max....

prolly for the game CURRENTLY, however, Valve stated that then engion itself can handly ANY resolution provided its power of two.
they also stated that they will release higher res textures as hardware can support it.

Originally posted by chuawenching
But if you have a good enough pc to run HL2
--> wow does that mean half life 2 requires very high 3d graphics + memory + processor?

At least what is the requirements?

Any idea?

Well the bare minimum is a P3 700 MHz with a DX6 compliant card (TNT2) the specs that will allow you to run it in full glory are about 2 GHz, 512 megs of RAM and a DX8(.1) card (Geforce 4 Ti), then you'll be missing some DX9 stuff, which requires a DX9 card like the ATi Radeon 9500 pro ranging to the Radeon 9800XT.

But for example on a 1 GHz with a Geforce 2 it should run fine, just nog all the graphical gizmo's. The Source engine is quite scaleable to make it run on most machines dating from aroun early 2001.

That is high!

just wonder in half life 2, they also use binary space partitioning (bsp)?

Hmm.. wonder when can we start download the hammer tool for half life 2?

i did not mention the url, i just ask the date (maybe around when)

Thanks.

Chua, Valve said that the SDK will be released befor the game is but we don't really know when the game is going to be released so no one can give you a date when the sdk will get released.

BIGSOS

at this point all release information for anything HL2 is pure speculation... and i do believe they will use binary space partitioning.. although i could be wrong... i'm just speculating :)

Back