some scairy stuff

heh, you spelled scary wrong...and that page says nothing but a bunch of jibberish

What we can, and can't, have on our computer. This has a lot to do with anything - computer related. This isn't new, actually. They started this program shortly after 9/11. As conservative as I can be, I'm very sensitive about my freedom. I'd like all of you to fight against this, please. I thought this had blown over, guess not. I don't think it'll get passed, but you never know - thus, we need to be heard.

-Ghost.

Well mods would still work, flash games would still work. perhaps viruses and illegal crap wouldn't though so maybe its a good thing?

anyway I remember they tried something similar a few years ago and nothing came of it, so wait and see I guess

Originally posted by Brian Damage
Nutbags, the lot of 'em. Man that site is badly written.

nutbags - haha I'm gonna start calling people that now :)

Think we'd get banned/flamed if we started a "Nasty Names" thread in the off-topic section?:)

EDIT: Nutbags!:E

can't get in the page, what's it about??

sorry to ask this in here, but will the new nvidia drivers work in windows98se???? please answer...

Originally posted by Brian Damage
Think we'd get banned/flamed if we started a "Nasty Names" thread in the off-topic section?:)

EDIT: Nutbags!:E

lol I dunno, I suppose a thread called "what bad words did you use as a child before you learnt real swear words" wouldn't hurt, if it remained civil and didn't get "too" silly heh

my god are we really this bored haha

I'm sick of big companies, they are allways trying to rip us off one way or another

Originally posted by Tarkus
can't get in the page, what's it about??

sorry to ask this in here, but will the new nvidia drivers work in windows98se???? please answer...

well atleast you didn't start a new thread to ask like some would have heh

yeah there's some win9x drivers you can download, they should be on the nVidia site, if not they are on the site that had the drivers before they became official

hmmm, thnkz.. guess ill download from fileplanet..

i went to the FAQ section where the guy's english is comprehensible. it's a lot more clear there. basically, this is the kind of thing that needs to happen to get a mass migration of people to linux or mac.

if that kind of stuff starts happening, the software economy will collapse and microsoft will go out of business.

if i pirate software, it's because i can't afford to buy it. that means the company isn't missing out on any money. therefore i provide a larger user base and popularity for a program which i otherwise never would have been able to use.

so basically, companies won't gain anything (most people who pirate will still be poor) and they'll lose tons of users (who maybe influence others to buy their software becaue it's good and they need it and they can afford it)

microsoft's monopoly works because they have a standard. their monopoly is perpetuated by the fact that tons of universities teach office programs, so you have this situation where everyone out of college knows office and nothing else.

how can you run a business if all your employees know one program, but you're using another? you have to train them all...which would be much more expensive than just using the program they already know.

now here's where you disagree. i argue that lots of software is popular partly because of the people that pirate it. i know how to use a bunch of applications i never would have used if i had to buy them:

microsoft office (frontpage included)
adobe photoshop
macromedia flash/dreamweaver

there are more i can't think of, but these are programs used by tons of businesses...and i learned them all for free...about the same if i had learned them in college.

i know this argument isn't the best, but i think it's true. companies make most of their money from businesses and universities (i'm not talking about games here) so they need people to learn their software to keep their standard alive.

so people who learn their software are helping them keep their monopoly/standard going...wether they paid to learn it or not.

now i'm not saying piracy is right, but it does bolster the community for a program. it provides more users and popularity by adding all those people who can't afford it to the mix.

of course this doesn't apply to movies or games...things people would watch/play once and delete and never pay for...but it does apply to business applications.

EDIT: sorry for the horrible length...and i'm really not trying to spark any huge arguments here...i've been trying to get that idea in writing for a while now and i just did it without thinking much...i know it has lots of holes

Microsoft doesn't have an actual "monopoly." The average consumer, and gamer, tend to go for PC systems. Macs & Linux system are mainly for business...though I can say I'm very disappointed with Macintosh. I can grab files from a Mac, (Let us use AVI for example) and play them on the PC...but I can't do vis versa. Is watching the DoomIII Vid, on a Mac, too much to ask? - Apparently. And Linux is simply out of the picture. Though I admit I plan on my second HDD utilizing Linux, until I need that space for my games, movies, music(FUN STUFF)...then that one will go to WinXP, as well. Trust me, the only reason Microsoft has such a large base, is because they've made large enough strides.

-Ghost.

ok so it's not legally a monopoly...but when i say it i just mean that they have a gigantic user base...and it's the most popular...etc

and they've made large enough strides.........and made it horribly expensive to switch away from their product...that's the key

True that...But I'll still continue to use them; Because I'm a gamer, and I like running my AIW Pro. And other reasons, that are too many to list.

-Ghost.

EDIT: Though they are buggy, and many times vulnurable, they are flexible. Macs and Linux systems just seem...sterile, and incompetent. I like getting real work done. The only thing Macs have going for them, as far as games, is the Hybrid version of Quake III Arena.

i should make a poll...."would you switch to linux if you didn't play games?"

seriously..that's microsoft's genius. make a standard *cough* directx *cough then make it horribly expensive to switch away...wow...everyone locked in

That's fine by me. That's all I see the PC as - Multimedia and Gaming.
It's not my fault I can build a top notch system, (with watercooling, 7.1 surround, 9800 AIW, etc) for $1,500 less than a crappy iMac...one which has two CPUs; but yet it can't even reach the speed of my one CPU. Maybe Macintosh should also consider having accessories below $1,000. Wouldn't you agree?

-Ghost.

this isn't really a mac vs. pc argument....of course mac is expensive and has fewer software options. this discussion is about the page in thread starter's first post.

btw...an AIW is a waste of money, imo...just buy a good tv tuner card...then upgrade your vid card without having to buy an AIW again.

No, the features the AIW has are great. Picture in Picture, recording Satellite broadcast to my HDD, transparent picture...so I can watch while working, typing, etc. Rewinding live television, recording one channel while watching another...the list goes on. For you, it may be a waste of time &/or money - for a multimedia person like me, it's a dream come true.
Trust me; it's not just a tv tuner, it's what I've been looking for.

-Ghost.

Besides, I leave for the NAVY nest spring...so upgrading isn't something I'll be doing, for awhile.

/me slaps Ghost upside the head

Hey nutbag that wasn't nice.

ok lets not hijack the thread...i'm aware the AIW has lots of features...just sucks to pay for it and be stuck with it if you wanted to buy a different video card later...pm me if you want to discuss it more so we don't rape this thread.

anyway...do you have an opinion about the thread subject or did you just come here to say mac is expensive? hehe

Relax, this will never happen. Even if it theoretically did happen, you would just have to order your hardware from other countries and US companies would be broke. Way to stop piracy by bankrupting American companies =)

Originally posted by loofy
Relax, this will never happen. Even if it theoretically did happen, you would just have to order your hardware from other countries and US companies would be broke. Way to stop piracy by bankrupting American companies =)

That would not be good.

-Ghost.

Man that shit is not cool. Not to sound like a 1337 h@x0r or anything but TCPA ( or whatever it was called) = t3h gh3y f@g0rt l0v@

Back