someone plz help

janmar

Reaction score
ok, i hava installed my hl2 and steam onto my pc today, i used the game 5 years ago on my fathers pc and it was working fine...

my acc is registered on steam... when i try to activate my hl2 games it says cd-key duplicate, can someone plz help me solve this

Hi there janmar.

The problem is that you are trying to register the game again. You only register the game once - when you first got it.

You made a Steam account with an email and password 5 years ago which you registered the game to. You need to log back into this account to play.

I repeat, you do not need to register the CD key again.

Ask nicely, with less zeds. Also, make more sense.

Ok, so you've installed Steam. And you've tried to install Half-Life 2 (a copy of which you have played before). You claim it already is, although I'm not entirely sure how.

You also have an account on Steam. For some reason, despite having played the game before, you need to register them again.

So my guess is what you failed to mention is that you played on a different account five years ago (i.e. your dad's). This would explain why you're trying to activate them.

Assuming I'm right, because I don't particularly want to have to read another 'plz', something needs to be clarified. Your account, let's say 'janmar' has some games on, yes? These are associated directly with your account. This means that you can't play those same games on a different account unless you purchase them again. If Half-Life 2 is registered with someone else's account, you cannot play them on yours. These apply to any game on Steam.

Your options are:
a) Buy the games again but register them to your account.
b) Play on your dad's account.
c) Use a recent receipt (which you don't have) to move the games to your account.

While this may seem frustating, there are multiple advantages. Your games, for instance, are all associated to your account, meaning when you move computers, or lose a disc, you still own the game and can download it at any time. Piracy is limited, because a CD-key will not work more than once with the use of Steam.

I hope that helps. If it doesn't, you're going to have to use real words to ask.

Edit: Damn you, Glenn.

OK well go to your Library button in the Steam window - and find your games list. Do you have any games in that list? They should be greyed out if they are not installed. Can you click on them and start downloading them from Steam?

If you do not have any games on that account, you have become confused and forgotten that you had a different account.

Back