Something I would like to see in HL2...

Brazooka

Reaction score
My favorite parts in HL1 were the very first ones actually. First the trainning room which I find a perfect idea, mix the teaching of the gameplay with the game story and enviroment. The other is Mr. Freeman arriving at Black Mesa during the credits... Looked like the begin of a movie or something. I sure would like to see something like that in HL2. What about you?

Brazooka said:
Mr. Freeman arriving at Black Mesa during the credits... Looked like the begin of a movie or something.

That is what sealed the deal for me. The opening of Half-Life reminded me of a movie. The first time I saw it, it was flat out amazing, I hope they do something similar for Half-life 2.

I watch that scene now and I still consider it the best opening for a game I have ever seen.

The beggining of HL2 will kill me of suspense I am sure!

hmmm well i have been thinking about many opening hl2 intro's.

But valve said it will start of STRAIGHT in there so to speak. like the player will be confused. then it gets explained later.

if this is so WoW dont have a clue how they have made that so that the community will still love it and get into it well.

I know that valve will be making a fantastic intro and ending. Just so great that noone knows because it makes us talk about it and want the game more!

When you americans get the game first... Well i plan not to come on here untill i have the game!

They've got to do a long HL style intro, though. Some action to get you started, but in no real danger, like the begining of Halo. Then once there's a slight lull, then you get a cablecar or tram ride, preferably in all the best HL intro style.

I mean... they've got to do the intro!

Heh the first few times I watched that intro, I didnt realize I could walk around the tram! But it's still best viewed from leaving the mouse where it is for the intro :)

Interitus said:
Heh the first few times I watched that intro, I didnt realize I could walk around the tram! But it's still best viewed from leaving the mouse where it is for the intro :)
HAHAHAH THAT IS SO TRUE! same here! i was just watching. and i think i clicked a button by mistake and the player moved! i was like WOW.

And you guys rember who comes and open the the cable car's door???? Of course you remember.. Good old Barney... that was a nice intro, I still watch it from time to time...

lol, they actually made it so you can't move in the PS2 version :|
OH well, yeah, I hope they have a train/tram/trolley/car ride/something rolling or moving intro like the first game lol

the fact that u cant move doesnt make it realistic *unless ur sitting down*

so that is why the intro was that much more FAB cause u could move around as well

i reckon even if they do drop u straight into the action, it will slow down shortly after, maybe there will be a train/somthing sequence then lol

Every official HL expansion and the original started you off in some type of ride, like the tram or an Osprey in Opposing Force. Guarantee it will be something like that in HL2.
Us HL1 players will give a small chuckle, n00bs who didn't play HL will be like, ok, I'm in a train... and not even care heh.

I hope Valve includes alot of these HL1 related "eggs"

Shuzer said:
OH well, yeah, I hope they have a train/tram/trolley/car ride/something rolling or moving intro like the first game lol
people mover!

commando said:
HAHAHAH THAT IS SO TRUE! same here! i was just watching. and i think i clicked a button by mistake and the player moved! i was like WOW.

If you want it to seem really realistic, you should jump onto the sear thats farthest away from the door in the handicap area (the second seat from the back) and nustle yourself into the corner, you'll stay crouched and it'l seem like your sitting, you can then move the mouse around and tis fun in my own sort of dorky way.

Actually, if you jump and duck all over the place near the rear, weird things happen. One time during that introduction train thing ride, I was doing that and managed to actually jump OUT of the ride, and it was near where the chopper was, and I lived.

After that, I was like whoa... this is cool... I think I'm going to walk around and see what these scientists are up to. Then as I walked near the chopper, one of the scientists had a syringe and he injected me and the screen faded to black and I think it started over.. I am not joking, did anyone else do this before?

Shuzer said:
Yes, Gordon should ride into action on his brand new Segway, which he has titled the Bringer of Death. Those front mounted miniguns may come in handy, eh?

umop said:
Actually, if you jump and duck all over the place near the rear, weird things happen. One time during that introduction train thing ride, I was doing that and managed to actually jump OUT of the ride, and it was near where the chopper was, and I lived.

After that, I was like whoa... this is cool... I think I'm going to walk around and see what these scientists are up to. Then as I walked near the chopper, one of the scientists had a syringe and he injected me and the screen faded to black and I think it started over.. I am not joking, did anyone else do this before?
That's never happened to me, but if we wanted to test if it was possible, messing around with noclip is pretty easy. That sounds pretty interesting, if it really did happen :)

damn this thread reminds of how awsome it fealt when i first played half-life...

I couldn't help but feel a slight sense of disappointment when I first used noclip to get out of the train. All those sequences, all the cool things you could see were all fake. Obviously, Valve couldn't have made a full-scale Black Mesa, but part of your brain just wishes they had...

I loved the first part of HL on the tram/train...It made it feel so good although when i replayed it i couldnt get that bit to go quick enough. :p I also loved the part on the small transporter things where you had to keep getting on-off to swap the tracks (that is later in the game)...I hope they have something similar in HL2.

Maybe it will be a remake of the train ride with Gman at the end of the first one.

I'd like to see a 5+ min, movie style, view of the original HL1 events but with the latest graphics. They'll have to let the people who never played HL1 know what the situation is.

Originally Posted by: umop

I have done this before too, but it took a long time for it to fade out for me, or did it? i dont remember but i remember hating it being able to walk thru the helicopter and the scientist and barney...

oh, and something i would like to see in HL2 are those little things like the blow up microwave and messing with the computer that scientist was going to get a message from.

umop said:

Nice. That syringe he gave you was a shot for having health below 50. The screen fading was probably something that Valve put in just incase you jumped out.

Wonder why they didn't just make invisible walls on the windows of the train and stuff?

Maybe its because they didn't think anyone would commit suicide 5 SECONDS INTO THE GAME.

I want 60 skins for Alyx. I also request 30 skins for Dr. Kleiner, Victoria's Secret style.

slicktick said:
I have done this before too, but it took a long time for it to fade out for me, or did it? i dont remember but i remember hating it being able to walk thru the helicopter and the scientist and barney...

oh, and something i would like to see in HL2 are those little things like the blow up microwave and messing with the computer that scientist was going to get a message from.
Well noone expected you to actually walk up to the helecopter so...

But about the little details, these will be everywhere I'm sure, especially in the lab with Kliener, like in the vid, you knock over the monitor and he tells you to be carefull and stuff, LOL that's so cool!!! I will be replaying that scene so much, seeing what he does in response to my monkey-like behaviour. :)

No, they did it so you could impulse 101 and nail scientists with the crossbow.

vegeta897 said:
Well noone expected you to actually walk up to the helecopter so...

But about the little details, these will be everywhere I'm sure, especially in the lab with Kliener, like in the vid, you knock over the monitor and he tells you to be carefull and stuff, LOL that's so cool!!! I will be replaying that scene so much, seeing what he does in response to my monkey-like behaviour. :)

I'll be jumping on his head. Lets see him tell me to be careful then. :LOL:

dura said:
No, they did it so you could impulse 101 and nail scientists with the crossbow.
Hehe, or the RPG. DOUBLE KILL!

Fun times when I first discovered the console, in the labs, scientists running around from an army of snarks, making a bunch of Barney's to fight em off, then making the Gargantua to wipe em all out. :devil:

EDIT: @ G.Freeman, yes, that makes you wonder, how will HL2 handle you jumping on eachothers heads? I'm would do it like this, with more complicated physcical hitboxes, you would slide off the head, and give some damage to the guy you jumped on. Ooh! New method of killing a Combine!

well im sure Valve knows we want another good start "intro", and whatever they do, we will be amazed

im sure! :D

vegeta897 said:
Hehe, or the RPG. DOUBLE KILL!

Fun times when I first discovered the console, in the labs, scientists running around from an army of snarks, making a bunch of Barney's to fight em off, then making the Gargantua to wipe em all out. :devil:

EDIT: @ G.Freeman, yes, that makes you wonder, how will HL2 handle you jumping on eachothers heads? I'm would do it like this, with more complicated physcical hitboxes, you would slide off the head, and give some damage to the guy you jumped on. Ooh! New method of killing a Combine!

Gordon's body is also physically simulated, and so are the other models (combine's alyx and such) I think it would depend on the mass the model has, and then maybe you would die, or get damaged

The intro in HL2 will be jaw breaking. If it's not, no HL spirit. No HL spirit, no money from me. No money from me, no money from 3 or 4 ppl that won't buy it too...

So, they really will keep up to the HL spirit.

Back