Something to ponder.... A hint of things to come?

jasonh1234

Reaction score
Could this have been a major clue right in front of our faces?

During the technology overview in the E3 video, we see a couple of rotating monoliths with different textures and effects on them.
One of which is a stained glass window with a image of Godon holding a crowbar. We all just laugh and shrug it off but what if...
What if it's not a gag and actually a texture from the game?
Maybe in the future Gordon is thought of as some kind of savior?
In the churches they put up stained glass images of him depicting him in his famous battle to deliver man from "Satan's" minions?

My theory, the stained glass is a game texture that will appear in the game and is a major story hint.

I doubt it. It's very far fetched really.

That was really stupid.

They just made a texture to show off an effect.

No, Gordon is a Jesus Christ... G-man is a God.

You know, you could be right. Why?

1. Somebody put in a lot of work into that texture. I doubt it's just for e3.

2. Gordon was gone for 15 years (or whatever people think). If he returns people might think he is their savior. He is the one who knows all about the Black Mesa incedent.

3. Ok this is really far-fetched. Marc Laidlaw is a big fan of the Zelda series (according to interviews). In the last game they had a thing VERY similar to that. Could he have been somehow inspired by it?

Originally posted by LoneDeranger

1. Somebody put in a lot of work into that texture. I doubt it's just for e3.

A lot of work? No way. You can just take picture of gordon, apply effect from photoshop (to make that color-glass-piece-art -effect, cant remember whats it called) and there you are. Then another effect for bump-map and maybe third for opacity. There you go. 5 mins.

could Marc Laidlaw be slowly heading towards the Zelda type storyline?! quick!!! someone look thru the Zelda storyline for any similarities!!!! lol j/k

Originally posted by Reiska
A lot of work? No way. You can just take picture of gordon, apply effect from photoshop (to make that color-glass-piece-art -effect, cant remember whats it called) and there you are. Then another effect for bump-map and maybe third for opacity. There you go. 5 mins.

That was not made using the PS filter. Its really easy to tell. Somebody spent some time specifically making a stained glass version of Gordon and I don't think it was for e3.

im not saying i think that thoery is right but i think itd be kinda cool to play the game knowing people are thinking of me that way, like a savior, like im really important.

That was not made using the PS filter. Its really easy to tell. Somebody spent some time specifically making a stained glass version of Gordon and I don't think it was for e3.

Would you elaborate why excatly do you think someone has spent great amounts of time for that spesific texture?

Originally posted by Reiska
Would you elaborate why excatly do you think someone has spent great amounts of time for that spesific texture?

I'm just saying it's not a PS filter. I have no idea how much time they spent drawing it. They could have just put something simple like the other 3 materials there, but they didn't.

EDIT: And I forgot about that Father Gregory guy. I'm sure he could use that stained glass somewhere. :)

maybe they'll put the stained glass Gordon in HL2 as an easter egg!!

Btw, there is a one "Father Gregori" in HL2, mebbe the stained glass has something to so with that...

I'm just saying it's not a PS filter. I have no idea how much time they spent drawing it. They could have just put something simple like the other 3 materials there, but they didn't.

EDIT: And I forgot about that Father Gregory guy. I'm sure he could use that stained glass somewhere. :)

Agreed with that Father Gregory part. I think the gordon is there just to demonstrate the stained-glass -effect of engine (which it does nicely). With some skills, its _really_ easy to make texture like that, along with bump-map and opacity-map.

That's my theory.

Hmm stained glass, Father Gregory... Hmmmm

Originally posted by jasonh1234
That's my theory.

Hmm stained glass, Father Gregory... Hmmmm

Yeah, it's not that far fetched at all if you think about it. Gordon Freeman is well-known because he was able to escape from all those aliens and humans tryign to kill him at Black Mesa. Then he mysteriously disappears for 15 years. He could really be an inspiration for all the resistance fighters.

Now this Father Gregory character. We don't know if he is a good guy or a bad guy (according to previews). He might be preaching the Freeman legend; however he might do it for his own profit. Thats why you want to meet him and find out what he's up to :)

And in Half Life 3 NPC's don't follow you anymore, they just get down on their knees and worship :p

Yeah, it's not that far fetched at all if you think about it. Gordon Freeman is well-known because he was able to escape from all those aliens and humans tryign to kill him at Black Mesa. Then he mysteriously disappears for 15 years. He could really be an inspiration for all the resistance fighters.

Now this Father Gregory character. We don't know if he is a good guy or a bad guy (according to previews). He might be preaching the Freeman legend; however he might do it for his own profit. Thats why you want to meet him and find out what he's up to :)

where did this 15 years come from?

and i think its father gregori, or gabe just pronounces gregory very differently than anyone ive ever heard say gregory before.

The only problem I see, Black Mess :)D) was a secret from other people. And I don't think somebody even knew about Gordon. I mean when aliens came to Earth, I don't think anybody knew what caused it or what is happening. Gordon was hero in the shadows, just like Garret from Thief.

Originally posted by Mr.Reak
The only problem I see, Black Mess :)D) was a secret from other people. And I don't think somebody even knew about Gordon. I mean when aliens came to Earth, I don't think anybody knew what caused it or what is happening. Gordon was hero in the shadows, just like Garret from Thief.

Well, the scientists/Barney/Alyx know for sure. And they look like they are the leaders of the resistance. So I'm sure they told other people stories about Gordon.

Well, the scientists/Barney/Alyx know for sure. And they look like they are the leaders of the resistance. So I'm sure they told other people stories about Gordon.

The more I think about it the more certain I become.
I'd put $20 on this being true.

I think Father Gregori is russian, that's why I'm not gonna spell it with a Y

Originally posted by Anthraxxx
I think Father Gregori is russian, that's why I'm not gonna spell it with a Y

My mistake, thats probably the right way to spell it. :)

Yeah, I still like being the silent, humble type hero. Gordon recieving a medal for bravery from the Prez doesn't bode too well.

"So gord, what do you have to say for saving earth and it's many inhabitants?"

"..........." *bunnyhops*

Originally posted by Bad^Hat
Yeah, I still like being the silent, humble type hero. Gordon recieving a medal for bravery from the Prez doesn't bode too well.

"So gord, what do you have to say for saving earth and it's many inhabitants?"

"..........." *bunnyhops*

As long as people don't start dancing semi-naked to rave music as in *cough* some recent sci-fi movie, then I'm OK with it.

I dunno about this whole theory. I think if it was from the game, they wouldn't have him holding a crowbar. I mean...cmon, do you really think his fans would put Gordon on a stained glass window holding a crowbar? It seems more like a joke to me made by the Valve staff. We are the ones that associate HL and Gordon with the crowbar.

Another thing I think makes this an unlikely possibility is the fact that it's stained glass. He'd have to be a HUGE hero for people to actually pray to him or worship him or anything. The only place I ever see stained glass, especially with people on them, are in churches and cathedrals. I doubt that there's a huge "Gordon is a saint" cult out there after the Black Mesa disaster.

I do have to give you props for thinking about that though...interesting idea.

Originally posted by AmishSlayer
I dunno about this whole theory. I think if it was from the game, they wouldn't have him holding a crowbar. I mean...cmon, do you really think his fans would put Gordon on a stained glass window holding a crowbar? It seems more like a joke to me made by the Valve staff. We are the ones that associate HL and Gordon with the crowbar.

Another thing I think makes this an unlikely possibility is the fact that it's stained glass. He'd have to be a HUGE hero for people to actually pray to him or worship him or anything. The only place I ever see stained glass, especially with people on them, are in churches and cathedrals. I doubt that there's a huge "Gordon is a saint" cult out there after the Black Mesa disaster.

I do have to give you props for thinking about that though...interesting idea.

About the crowbar: they might have exaggerated the story to say that Gordon was only armed with a crowbar and had no other weapons. (afterall it is a legend) Or maybe it's just a little humor from Valve, but it could still be in the game.

Now about the stained glass. Most of the earth's population is dead, there is little fresh water available and aliens are walking around destroying cities. I think people would pray to just about anything .. even a scientist with a crowbar. :)

While I agree that it is most definetly not a filter, I dont agree that it takes a lot of time to do it. I really think it only took an hour or so most likely.

As for the idea that this will appear later, it is an interesting thought. A very interesting one actually, but I highly doubt that it is true. Still, good thinking. Im glad some people around here are coming up with good original ideas.

As far as HL2 theories go (and we had 100s of them here), this is the best one yet.

I was thinking along these lines for a while now, but I just couldn't tie the whole thing together. The stained glass was the missing piece - and you pointed it out so clearly. Good job man. :)

About the crowbar: they might have exaggerated the story to say that Gordon was only armed with a crowbar and had no other weapons. (afterall it is a legend) Or maybe it's just a little humor from Valve, but it could still be in the game.

Now about the stained glass. Most of the earth's population is dead, there is little fresh water available and aliens are walking around destroying cities. I think people would pray to just about anything .. even a scientist with a crowbar. :)

I guess.... I didn't know about the whole population thing or the fresh water...

Tell ya what, if it's true, I'll go back to this thread and give you a ton of praise :p

Yeah it's true (to some extent). From the official Half-Life 2 website:

The player again picks up the crowbar of research scientist Gordon Freeman, who finds himself on an alien-infested Earth being picked to the bone, its resources depleted, its populace dwindling. Freeman is thrust into the unenviable role of rescuing the world from the wrong he unleashed back at Black Mesa.

And we have the dried up ocean - so could the aliens be stealing H20?

"That was not made using the PS filter. Its really easy to tell. Somebody spent some time specifically making a stained glass version of Gordon and I don't think it was for e3."

...seriously are you that thick!!! it's where valve shows off what they can do to promote their upcomming game yeah so i think its safe to say that they would invest time making a simple stained glass with a portrait of gordon.

Oh great Valved showed up. At least we had an interesting discussion going for a couple of minutes. :dozey:

Maybe father gregori is the head priest of the freeman cult? Why else would there be a priest. My 2 cents worth.

i think the floating water beside the stained glass has something to do with it.... it was part of the tech demo... tech demos are to show off technology,, that part showed off textures and there is nothing else to that :D

could the aliens be stealing H20?

It would make sense given how many ships get beached. But it's not the ocean, it's the Sea. Most likely the Black sea (enormous lake) but possibly the Aegean, Adriatic, or Baltic seas.

Remember. It's most likely that City 17 is aka Bucharest Romania.

EUROEA-W1.gif

Back