Something to ponder.... A hint of things to come?

There is chances of stained glass being in the game... but I doubt they will have pictures of Gordon in them.

LOL just random nonsense babble that is totally far-fetched, but if the aliens were after our water, they might want the stuff that existed in the human body as well? I dunno. But hey they did show the man built from water in the tech demo :)

:D I will laugh at you when I'm right! But I won't laugh when I'm wrong which is 99% possible lol.

Maybe, but it's still fun to get far fetched theories!

LOL just random nonsense babble that is totally far-fetched, but if the aliens were after our water, they might want the stuff that existed in the human body as well? I dunno. But hey they did show the man built from water in the tech demo

Doesn't sound bad. remember a valve guy said once in a mail that the tech-demo holds a lot of secrets. We have to take further hints out of the demo and combine them then we'll finally have the final secret.

btw, I'm just doing this for fun...

well it would be stupid showing they could do staind glass windows in a tech demo if they didnt use the technique in the game

dont mean its going to be gordon, but its a nice idea

Originally posted by freddythefrog
Maybe, but it's still fun to get far fetched theories!

Doesn't sound bad. remember a valve guy said once in a mail that the tech-demo holds a lot of secrets. We have to take further hints out of the demo and combine them then we'll finally have the final secret.

btw, I'm just doing this for fun...

Oh god... why don't we get the maths equations out again and find out a mathematical theory from the ones in the demo to prove that Gordon Freeman is actually Jesus Christ? :rolleyes:

I still think the whole concept would be ridiculous.

A research scientist who was involved in a disaster at a top secret facility that researches alien worlds and teleportation is not going to become a messiah in the space of 15 years, especially considering that only about 5 people know that the incident actually happened and he was involved in it.

The story is based around a fictional East European City. Not just one part of it, but pretty much the whole of it, of course there's going to be a church there. Whether we see it or not is a different question as Father Gregory is stated as being a "survivalist monk" which doesn't necessarily suggest any religious affiliation.

If that's true I think I'll have to go on a killing spree. That would be the WORST twist...

And for God's sake all this clutching at straws for clues is just getting ridiculous.
Is there ACTUAL evidence for any of it? Like:

Gordon was in stasis for 15 years... Who said that!? No-one from Valve, I'll bet.

Gordon's the messiah - Uh-huh, uh-huh? Proof? Why would we need anything like that?

The G-Man's an alien. Alright the Nihilanth garbles some stuff - personally I'd hate for him to be an alien but whatever

You know what, there was a watermelon in the tech demo. I think watermelons will have a lot to do with it. Yeah definitely.

Shall we just wait for some real details or to actually PLAY the game before trying to work out (and possibly even spoil) every conceivable twist in the story rather than try and read INCREDIBLY blurry translucent red writing that flashes past in an instant (Oh LOOK! It says Gordon! Or is that Garden? Hmm... MUST say Gordon. Yes, it says Gordon. Wow.) or weird tranluscent BLUE mathematical equations...
I bet Valve are reading stuff like this and laughing their arses off

Originally posted by El_Chi
Shall we just wait for some real details or to actually PLAY the game before trying to work out (and possibly even spoil) every conceivable twist in the story rather than try and read INCREDIBLY blurry translucent red writing that flashes past in an instant (Oh LOOK! It says Gordon! Or is that Garden? Hmm... MUST say Gordon. Yes, it says Gordon. Wow.) or weird tranluscent BLUE mathematical equations...
I bet Valve are reading stuff like this and laughing their arses off [/B]

lol, it's funny how many people attack speculation, considering that HL2 isn't out yet, so the vast majority of discussion is going to be speculation anyway. Why not explore plot possibilities? If you don't want to join in the discussion, nobody's making you.

I posted somewhere a bit of a theory about the G-man's motives.. maybe he's trying to get an army together to fight some much bigger threat, and our dimension, the xen dimension, and the race x dimension, are just some of the places the gman is gathering resources (as in creatures, or perhaps dna to create his own creatures, for his army). Just a thought. Perhaps the g-man is the good guy after all. It would explain his interest in people who have a natural ability for survival, and perhaps gordon's time in stasis has been for the g-man to try to "copy" the part of gordon's mental or physical make-up that gives him that ability. (and yes, I believe it was stated by someone official that gordon is thrown right into the situation with no memory of the last 15 years).

Also, gman being gordon from the future sounds corny, but it would be made to work very interestingly by a good writer, so who knows? It's worth considering.

It could be true, after Half-Life 1 gordon became a "god" in the Video game world. We know nothing about the period of time between Half-Life 1 and Half-Life 2, so who knows, Maybe parents told their children of a man who graced earth and Xen with his presence, and thwart the evil aliens, who were beseiging the world, from existance.

We will have to check later in the game and see if that object is anywhere, first person to gets a dollar!*
*does not get a dollar

Anyone who actually thinks Gordon could be made a religious figure in the game because of a STUPID stained glass figure of him made SPECIFICALLY for the tech demo, deserves to be punched in the neck.

Right in it.

End of thread.

What's with all the hostility?
I doubt this theory is correct, but why are so many people finding it necessary to hurl insults?
It is an original idea at least. I've wondered how Alyx and other Black Mesa survivors will view Gordon, since his feats from the first game were pretty superhuman. I don't think they'll worship him, but he could have achieved a kind of legendary status among any who knew him.

I remember the good old days when we had tons of threads like these. Now all people wanna do is compare HL2 to Doom 3 and discuss silly clipping issues in the videos. That sucks.

Originally posted by Reiska
A lot of work? No way. You can just take picture of gordon, apply effect from photoshop (to make that color-glass-piece-art -effect, cant remember whats it called) and there you are. Then another effect for bump-map and maybe third for opacity. There you go. 5 mins.

You don't know a thing about pixel shaders, try a google search on "pixel shader" and prepare to be dazzled !:eek:

Originally posted by LoneDeranger
I remember the good old days when we had tons of threads like these. Now all people wanna do is compare HL2 to Doom 3 and discuss silly clipping issues in the videos. That sucks.

I wish I was around here back then. These sort of speculation threads make the most interesting discussion (much more interesting than arguing about delays for the millionth freakin' time) but whenever someone has an even slightly outlandish idea they get crap thrown in their face.

To everyone who's shown hostility: Don't like the thread? Don't post on it. Simple as that. Those of us who want to discuss these sorts of things will, and frankly, we're not interested if it's your oppinion that the thread is pointless, or that our suggestions are stupid. Grow up please.

Dont flame someone for a speculation they made, or else the more respected members of the community will flame you.

I've not read the whole thread, just wanted to respond to person who said the stainglass would be easy to make. In the recent IRC dev chat they said that the stained glass effect gordon was one of the 3 hardest graphical effects they build throughout the whole game.

Originally posted by MoJo|Night
I've not read the whole thread, just wanted to respond to person who said the stainglass would be easy to make. In the recent IRC dev chat they said that the stained glass effect gordon was one of the 3 hardest graphical effects they build throughout the whole game.

What were the other two?

Alyx's nose, alyx's breasts.

Hehe j/k. So if it's one of the 3 hardest things, don't you think it'll re-appear in-game? They couldn't have made it solely for E3...that's crazy. Mojo, have a source for that dev chat? (official log,something else)

The stained glass was one of the hardest SHADERS to code. Yes, they spent a long time on it, so obviously there will be stained glass in the game. Once the shader has been written, though, it shouldn't be hard at all to create content (such as the gordon stained glass thing) that makes use of the shader. They created the gordon window for the e3 demo, to show off the stained glass shader that they worked so hard on.

I very much doubt that particular object will appear in game (the only way it would is as an easter egg, hidden somewhere), but there will definately be stained glass, so we're just about guaranteed to come across a church during the game.

Who bumped this topic? Arg *weilds crowbar threateningly*

Idunno, the guys at Valve always enjoy a good laugh. It does look a bit too cool to just be a tech demo texture, but they can't really demonstrate the graphics and cool bump mapping effects with just plain water and purple crap.

That's great logic thinking, Logic. You've convinced me. Ah well, on to look for the easter egg some more :p

I bow to your knowledge Logic. Thanks for clearing up any confusion I my have caused.

hehe glad to help :cheese:

After all the discussion on this forum about the easter egg, I'm beginning to think that maybe we were given some mis-information just to keep us talking more about the e3 videos.. that one remaining easter egg is nowhere to be found .. hmm..

Must admit the thought had crossed my mind too. Stops people asking what's in multiplayer if they're watching video's 15 times a day...

LOL true true. It's not much like a real easter egg is it? Too much wrapping... I want my chocolate! >_<

Probably when the game is out Gabe will answer some more questions, certainly the question what the easter egg was in the vid. He'll say something like: "The clothes the people in Barricade wear have a logo that says C17. It means City 17. Cool easter egg huh!!?!!"
We'll all go: "Gabe you morAn!!" (cause wa can't spell, right?)

I have figured it out ;-)

City 17 is abbreviated as c17

Counter strike 1.7 was meant to be the free patch version which would bring cs in line with condition zero.

Therefore it's obvious that Barney is an alien, Gordon is worshipped as the second coming of christ, bodies disappear because they are teleported into a mothership, Alyx is a robot. D.O.G stands for Doppelganger of Gordon and he's your clone, professor kliener is the new bond villain and Gabe Newell appears in the game as a head in a jar which you carry round to narrate for you and at the end he explains that there never was an easteregg it was just said to distract us from the war in Iraq for 45 minutes while some weapons of mass destruction were deployed by John Leslie.

it was funny intill this.....

Therefore it's obvious that Barney is an alien, Gordon is worshipped as the second coming of christ, bodies disappear because they are teleported into a mothership, Alyx is a robot. D.O.G stands for Doppelganger of Gordon and he's your clone, professor kliener is the new bond villain and Gabe Newell appears in the game as a head in a jar which you carry round to narrate for you and at the end he explains that there never was an easteregg it was just said to distract us from the war in Iraq for 45 minutes while some weapons of mass destruction were deployed by John Leslie.

Damn and here was me thinking I was a comedy genius. I was just bored I do apologise.

Come to think of it do we actually know what D.O.G stands for and what it looks like?

Yeah, I agree that the stained glassed window effect was just there to show off for look and engine capability. And as for Gordon stained glass bein in-game, I dun tink so, unless its some secret "eye candy". It's not like Valve doesnt have a sense of humor.

Valve ain't giving one friggan clue bout the story (with good reason too) cept it involves some interesting characters, enemies, etc.

OO yeah, bout the "nobody would just make that for E3". Well...they made 8 whole levels JUST for E3, and 9 including the techdemo.

Back