Sorry NVIDIA owners

spitcodfry

Reaction score
This article is several days old, so I'm sure someone else has posted about it on here (too lazy to search).

Its no news that ATI cards currently lead the pack in DX9 performance, but I thought for some this might be an interesting affirmation of that: http://www.gamersdepot.com/hardware/video_cards/ati_vs_nvidia/dx9_desktop/001.htm

Straight from the lion's maw, it seems. And yes, I'm well aware that Gabe has stated that ATI works best with Half-Life 2 in the past (I even sent an e-mail to him and got a response regarding which card to upgrade to for it), but this seems to illustrate the point even more.

Its nice that they got a statement from Carmack as well regarding this issue.

/me opens up computer case

/me pets ATi Radeon 9800 pro 128meg

/me smiles

/me says, i love you 9800

who cares
its not like this game wont run beautifully on a 128MB 5900

Originally posted by Quotidian---
/me opens up computer case

/me pets ATi Radeon 9800 pro 128meg

/me smiles

/me says, i love you 9800

Heh heh, me gots one too. Quite happy I am.

no i don't think you understand, the NVIDIA cards are running hl2 shaders VERY SLOWLY, enough for your eye to notice a difference when everything is cranked up, and i don't mean just a difference it IS going to be slower.

Thanks for the update...the last time I read the article there weren't responses from id and Valve, so it is very nice to see that now.

As for the "who cares" comments, I can assure you that a lot of people care! If someone's going to spend $400 on a video card, then they'll definitely want to know those facts. You guys say that it doesn't matter because both cards will run the game just fine? Well why not buy an old dx7 card? Probably because you want it to run very well. Well, you might as well see these benchmarks and use them to get the most bang for your buck.

If someone wasn't planning on buying a new card, or possibly had already purchased a 5900 before seeing info like this, then I could understand saying who cares. I for one, definitely wouldn't want to find out that my hard earned cash could have been better spent on the other card. But that definitely doesn't mean that this thread is pointless and that nobody will get any use out of it!

Anyways, sorry for the rant. People who assume that they speak for everyone and call a thread pointless just piss me off a bit.

Originally posted by trantjd
People who assume that they speak for everyone and call a thread pointless just piss me off a bit.

I could not sympathize with you more. If one has nothing to contribute, then they just need to stfu.

Originally posted by trantjd
Thanks for the update...the last time I read the article there weren't responses from id and Valve, so it is very nice to see that now.

As for the "who cares" comments, I can assure you that a lot of people care! If someone's going to spend $400 on a video card, then they'll definitely want to know those facts. You guys say that it doesn't matter because both cards will run the game just fine? Well why not buy an old dx7 card? Probably because you want it to run very well. Well, you might as well see these benchmarks and use them to get the most bang for your buck.

If someone wasn't planning on buying a new card, or possibly had already purchased a 5900 before seeing info like this, then I could understand saying who cares. I for one, definitely wouldn't want to find out that my hard earned cash could have been better spent on the other card. But that definitely doesn't mean that this thread is pointless and that nobody will get any use out of it!

Anyways, sorry for the rant. People who assume that they speak for everyone and call a thread pointless just piss me off a bit.

Yeah as trantjd was saying, if you are going to spend $400 I want the best card! Why spend all that money when there is another card out there that's the same price or cheaper and is better! People use logic. If you buy a 5900 Ultra your just screwing yourself in the long run if your planning on heavily playing games with it. And ATI isn't having these horrible driver issues. So get out from under your rock!

The problem with Ati is their driver support. I recently installed a R9500Pro for a friend and had to go through hell to set it up. Their drivers are so cluttered, and I eventually ended up installing some un-official drivers (omega I think) that seemed to work.

Then the real problems started. It seems you need to get some sort of "Ati patch" for every other game to get it to work properly! And get this, my friend had a Geforce2 MX and he used to get 60-99 FPS in CS, but with the new R9500Pro, he always got 30-40 FPS! This really baffled us! We turned off AA and AF and the video setting were exactly the same for HL. Every thing was set up properly, the refresh rate fix was applied, VSync was disabled, the max fps command in HL was set to 99. We even disabled Truform, which is not supposed to have a performance hit at all...

So this is basically my problem with Ati. I heard their next drivers, the Catalyst 3.8 are supposed to be quite good, if they do get their act together, my next upgrade is definitely gonna be an Ati product. Until then, I'm quite content with my GeForce4 Ti4400.

Originally posted by Claws
The problem with Ati is their driver support. I recently installed a R9500Pro for a friend and had to go through hell to set it up. Their drivers are so cluttered, and I eventually ended up installing some un-official drivers (omega I think) that seemed to work.

I will quote what http://www.gamersdepot.com/hardware/video_cards/ati_vs_nvidia/dx9_desktop/002.htm said. Seriously man its not hard , all you do is install drivers i dont know what your problem was.

If you’re still “stuck in the past” and think that ATI is plagued with driver issues, than go ahead and keep your head stuck in the sand like an ostrich, buy a 5900 Ultra and then start crying when your pals are smoking your ass in games like Half Life 2 and Halo because they’re running ATI hardware.

I have a Radeon 9700 pro, which should perform just as great also.:cheers:

personally i think yur all crackers buying a g card now. for their price, the performance in the up anbd coming games isnt good enough to warrant the expense. personally im going to wait until early next year cus i wager the next gen cards will be out then and they will run therse games superbly-lessons still need to be learnt by the gcard manufacturers about dx9.

it's all good, but its always changing, ati is the best at the moment

Originally posted by HUGEkebab
personally i think yur all crackers buying a g card now. for their price, the performance in the up anbd coming games isnt good enough to warrant the expense. personally im going to wait until early next year cus i wager the next gen cards will be out then and they will run therse games superbly-lessons still need to be learnt by the gcard manufacturers about dx9.
the longer you wait, the more you'll suffer
current hardware eats any game alive (well, we've yet to see about D3)
nVidia is having the hardware issues and think the Det 50s will fix the problems, but that only helps the software

you buy a 9800Pro, say, a month or less after the 9900Pro is out and you won't have a prob; hell, a 9700 will run the game fine

So ATI is on top for the time being (and after playing catch-up for several years, their success is well deserved.) But in a few months, nVidia will release their latest hardware that'll put ATI to shame. And then ATI will develope new hardware that'll turn the tables and on it'll go. Such is the nature of healthy competition. I'm just glad the video card industry isn't going to get a chance to stagnate like in the good ol' days with 3Dfx.

Originally posted by Mountain Man
So ATI is on top for the time being (and after playing catch-up for several years, their success is well deserved.) But in a few months, nVidia will release their latest hardware that'll put ATI to shame. And then ATI will develope new hardware that'll turn the tables and on it'll go. Such is the nature of healthy competition. I'm just glad the video card industry isn't going to get a chance to stagnate like in the good ol' days with 3Dfx.
that's what we said 8 months ago... nVidia will release the 5900U and blow away ATi; did that happen? no
that's why predictions are often criticised
but, I do agree, history will tell you that it shouldn't be too long before nV brings out the killer
they've had a year since the R300 came out, and between that ATi releases the R350, still no dice for nV's current problems
I do hope they'll reconsider their sleeping habits on the job

Sigh...I love nvidia fan boys, they're funny.

/me points and laughs at nvidia fanboys.

:LOL:

|
|
|
V

:upstare: <--nvidia fanboy

It would seem ATI fanboys are even worse.

(And for the record, I'm not an nVidia fanboy. I choose to purchase their products simply because they offer superior Linux support.)

i know the whole point of this thread is to try to convert nvidia users to ati- and besides, we knew all this like weeks ago!!! damn the same thing will behappening once nvidia comesout with something better...... seriously a huge company like nvidia isnt gonna let ati just topple them- theyve been on top for years and will come back fighting. Oh wait now all the ati people are gonna come in and say "oh no!!! that will never happen!!!"

lol its funny when they say that the new nvidia cards will blow ati away, when they have no idea if they will own or suck. They could be another poor attempt, just like the fx line.

well it could happen and maybe it wont- but i dont think its time for nvidia owners to switch over yet because of a minor setback- sure ill probably get an ati once i get the money but being as nvidia has been on top for years in the past- ill give them a chance as to whether or not they will come back on top.

once again i think we should kill the nvidia and ati companies, and just make an uber company that makes 1 card every 6-8 months.

yes, i said KILL.

well i did buy a shotgun for that very reason, i was just waiting for my undead army to rise. :flame:

Im just going to disregard these benchmarks. As well as any other benchmarks that show Nvidia is better or vice versa. I see all these benchmarks and some say Nvidia is better then I goto another place and it says ATi is better.

In my eyes, I find both are extremely nice cards. I just favor Nvidia more because the card's driver and settings are more integrated into windows and a whole lot neater :)

My Geforce4 MX440 will run this game fine...

Hell, I never notice any of those little *extra features* that have big names anyway.

Saying a new card from one company will blow another companies' card away is just wishful thinking.
No one knows til they release it.
BTW we are still on the same core of cards as last year's 9700 release when ATI actually got on top. ATI released that and got the crown, Nvidia failed with the 5800 but did get the crown with 5900.
The performance in PS intensive games is just a taste of how these soon to be old cards perform in dx9 games. ATI wins there but in most games, 5900 still wins.
Games are starting to use more advanced features but by the time these features are used in most mainstream games, new cards will be out.
Christmas is the next chance for a leader turnaround. ATI or NVIDIA? we'll see.

Originally posted by [Hunter]Ridic
once again i think we should kill the nvidia and ati companies, and just make an uber company that makes 1 card every 6-8 months.

yes, i said KILL.

Price gouging, ouch!

Originally posted by Letters
My Geforce4 MX440 will run this game fine...

Hell, I never notice any of those little *extra features* that have big names anyway.

exactly......:cheers:

(so are the ati cards better only for the highend range of cards with DX9 or will a radeon 8500 beat a slower nvidia non-DX9 card also?)

Originally posted by Claws

Then the real problems started. It seems you need to get some sort of "Ati patch" for every other game to get it to work properly! And get this, my friend had a Geforce2 MX and he used to get 60-99 FPS in CS, but with the new R9500Pro, he always got 30-40 FPS! This really baffled us! We turned off AA and AF and the video setting were exactly the same for HL. Every thing was set up properly, the refresh rate fix was applied, VSync was disabled, the max fps command in HL was set to 99. We even disabled Truform, which is not supposed to have a performance hit at all...

I take it that you added these little nuggets to the config -

ati_subdiv "0.0"
ati_npatch "0.0"

Please, this article has been posted and discussed to death. "Non quieta movere".

If you have the patience, there will be price drops all around near November.

Frankly, I don't trust tests that runs a beta version of a game and Tomb Raider (patched) with its mediocre graphics (regardless of its DX9 features). We shall wait til the REAL testers arrive (Halo GOLD, HL2, Max Payne 2).

will a radeon 8500 beat a slower nvidia non-DX9 card also?
um no
GF 4 TI was king.
infact people are still buying GF4 ti 4200's @ $100 or a little more, beat those non dx9 ATI cards easy and keep up with 9700 non pro decently in old to current games.
LINK to old benchmark pic from tom's
that pic was from back in nov 2002

yea, but if your in the decision part of buying a new graphics card, you want to look at graphics cards that can play past games well, but you always want to buy a gfx card that can play FUTURE games as well too.

Originally posted by [Hunter]Ridic
I hope that was meant in jest.

Originally posted by Bass
who cares
its not like this game wont run beautifully on a 128MB 5900
That is exactly what they are saying. With all the bells and whistles on in DX9 games the nVidia cards aren't even getting playable framerates while the ATI cards are getting great framerates. In many cases the ATI cards triple the performance of the nVidia cards. In one DX9 game test I saw a 9800Pro get 6 times the fps of a 5900 Ultra.
... and Gabe Newell said that their testing with HL2 yielded results along the lines of what the other tests are showing.

If you want to play it with any GeforceFX card you will have to turn off a lot of the fancy features (maybe all of DX9 if possible).

I read a Carmack interview where he praised nvidia's drivers and ati's hardware. Keep them different, and we maintain the competition. Competition = progress = lower prices.

Originally posted by Goombatommy
yea, but if your in the decision part of buying a new graphics card, you want to look at graphics cards that can play past games well, but you always want to buy a gfx card that can play FUTURE games as well too.
yeah i know.
just addressing his question.
:)
Infact, looking at future games...
<- has a GF2
Ill be looking for the newer generation of cards.
Play all these great dx9 games with much improved frame rate :cool:

Originally posted by ZoTz3Mob
I take it that you added these little nuggets to the config -

ati_subdiv "0.0"
ati_npatch "0.0"

No, no I didn't... See this is the problem right there. All these obscure details that one has to know to get the games running properly is a real pain.

Can you please explain what these 2 commands do?

Back