Sound in HL2

deathryuu

Reaction score
Hey, just bought a SB Audigy 1394 and was curious if anyone knows what kind of sound driver support HL2 will have. Will it support EAX 4.0? or only 3.0? Will it also support Dolby Surround(for those of us with surround sound systems)? And what about Aureal Interactive and Direct Sound 3D?

Thanks.

the official minimmum system requirements arent even known yet, im sure your question will be answered ina few weeks!!!!

Loach said:
the official minimmum system requirements arent even known yet, im sure your question will be answered ina few weeks!!!!

yep. :upstare:

I just asked your question to Rick Ellis from Valve. Here's what he had to say:

-------------------------------

It currently uses a proprietary DSP engine to support surround sound etc.

Rick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 11:38 AM
To: Rick Ellis
Subject: easy question, just takes 1 min of your time

Hi Rick,

I was wondering what kind of sound support will Half-Life 2 have for 3D Audio. Does it support EAX 4.0, EAX 3.0, Dolby Digital (for living room guys), Aureal Interactive, or Direct Sound 3D?

Thanks for your time, keep up the good work,

-XXX

Arrrh Bitchslapper you freaking **** ********* ! I'd be feeling like I was a god if I had that videocard! GRRrr.

;)

Most new games support up to 6.1 surround, 7.1 is sort of overkill for games right now

CrazyHarij said:
Arrrh Bitchslapper you freaking **** ********* ! I'd be feeling like I was a god if I had that videocard! GRRrr.

;)

I feel like i am God without my "god-powers" (Half-life 2 game)

id feel fine with a subwoofer in addition to my 2 default speakers :p

i wanna get surrond sound for my computer

that would be tight

Crap, I want a 2,500Ghz computer! ;)

Hey that's good news. That new Audigy 2 ZS will be perfect! (along with those GigaWorks 7.1 system!).

I have a Audigy 2 card, currently with two speakers connected, what must i do to get EAX sound, surround option from this card, must i buy a eax speaker system?

and what exactly is DSP engine?

Some explain this to me, i like to take advantage of my new audio card... !

I can't take any adv. of a 7.1 system since I have a SB audigy that has a maximum support of 5.1 surround so I have 5100 CL speakers.
And HL2 probably supports only up to 6.1

[daniom] said:
I have a Audigy 2 card, currently with two speakers connected, what must i do to get EAX sound, surround option from this card, must i buy a eax speaker system?

and what exactly is DSP engine?

To get EAX and surround you need speakers that can support it.

DSP= dolby surround ??? or directsound ???

Back