Space, the final frontier.

Yellonet

Reaction score
Posted this in another thread but I think it warrants a new one.

Space... hmm... I wonder if it's possible to simulate realistic space environments with Source. When you're floating around, would it work to fire a gun or throw something to gain momentum? Moonraker fight!! :borg:

Yes, it's been stated that a level designer can create "pockets" of gravity throughout the level. The basic idea is that you could set a different gravitational value for any area you choose. In one room, the gravity could be normal and in the next it could be inverted, so you fall toward the ceiling.

You can do anything with this really, make the players fall sideways (directional gravity I can't confirm, but it seems like I read that in the Valve Info thread. Either way, you could rotate the level and make it seem like this was possible), make you slow-fall like on the moon, or set the gravity to zero and let people float around and use the manipulator or other guns to push them through space, as you mentioned.

-UnmarkedOne

UnmarkedOne said:
Yes, it's been stated that a level designer can create "pockets" of gravity throughout the level. The basic idea is that you could set a different gravitational value for any area you choose. In one room, the gravity could be normal and in the next it could be inverted, so you fall toward the ceiling.

You can do anything with this really, make the players fall sideways (directional gravity I can't confirm, but it seems like I read that in the Valve Info thread. Either way, you could rotate the level and make it seem like this was possible), make you slow-fall like on the moon, or set the gravity to zero and let people float around and use the manipulator or other guns to push them through space, as you mentioned.

-UnmarkedOne
Cool, very cool. Don't know what you mean by directional gravity though (isn't it in the nature of gravity to be directional)... care to explain? Do you mean that the gravitation is changing point of origin?

Yellonet said:
Cool, very cool. Don't know what you mean by directional gravity though (isn't it in the nature of gravity to be directional)... care to explain? Do you mean that the gravitation is changing point of origin?
Not sure what you mean, but basically you can have objects attract to other objects. You can call it gravtation, magnetism, electric field, whatever.

I wonder if they can simulate black holes? :p

Most objects in this universe have a gravitation (though most are so incredibly small that you can't feel them). Just thought I should add that :)

Alec_85 said:
Most objects in this universe have a gravitation (though most are so incredibly small that you can't feel them). Just thought I should add that :)
Yep. Gravitation is classed as a weak force.

As far as I know, without leaving Earth, the Earth itself is the only thing large enough to have a significant gravitational pull on objects, in real life. It's true that even small objects have a very minor gravitational pull on other objects, but by significant I mean the pull is actually enough to physically move other objects.

Now, in most level editors I've used, the gravity can only pull from one direction (straight down, toward the middle of the 'planet'). You can change it's value, but I've never used an editor that lets you change which direction you are pulled. By directional gravity I was referring to changing the position of the mass that's doing the pulling. We'll have to see if modders have control over this in Source, but I suspect they do.

-UnmarkedOne

UnmarkedOne said:
By directional gravity I was referring to changing the point of pull.
That's what I though.
Changing direction of the gravity should be doable in Source, if not directly.. couldn't you set the gravitation to 0 and then make a surface(to be placed outside the room) as big as the rooms (with the alternate gravitational direction) down side (to the direction the gravitation is pulling) and make that surface affect everything in that specific room by pulling it towards itself?
As a player you wouldn't know the difference. In theory that is... without even having played the game ;)

jimbones said:
you might be faster than 3drealms..

FYI - 3DRealms has signed a 3rd Generation Physics engine for use in DNF. This is supposed to be more advanced than even HL2's Havok engine and only took a couple of weeks to integrate into the game as it stands. I believe the name was "Meqon". There is supposed to be some very cool demos of it on Meqon's website, but I haven't had a chance to check it out.

The rabid Duke fans at 3DRealms' forums seemed to go apesh!t for it though.

Yellonet said:
I want Duke Nukem 3D: Source.
Ken Oath.

Why doesn't someone shove it up George Broussard's crack by making a DNF mod for HL2?

How about StarTrek Bridgecommander with fully walking around the bridge etc

ahahah :cheers: some of those are very dumb.....but i want them all the same...... bring on the ability to actually walk around the bridgeroom.....

UnmarkedOne said:

-UnmarkedOne

So you could make HL2: Cube and Hyper Cube (the movies)

Them movies were good , specially the second. that would b quite fun actually, different traps in certain rooms etc and different gravity.

i personally think a Super Mario mod would work very well. you'd have ot change a lot of the movement values, and make some deliciously cel-shaded maps and models, but it would be good if you ask me! it would have to be reminiscent of the older ones though... the new ones dont interest me so much. or do they...... hmm... maybe!

KurtCobain said:
So you could make HL2: Cube and Hyper Cube (the movies)

Them movies were good , specially the second. that would b quite fun actually, different traps in certain rooms etc and different gravity.
I saw the first, didnt know they made a second. Best check that out :)

OMG i thought those cube movies were so wicked when i was little..... heh i forced my year 10 english class to watch the bit at the start of cube where that guy gets sliced into thousands of pieces and falls apart and also that bit where they go through the 'noise' activated room....... heeheheh... i think eveyrone thought i had a twisted sense of movies since then.......

oh wel... now is many years since then... i like the idea..... Gordon throws Alyx into a room..... "ah....seems as if it's safe!"

"Hey why'd you throw me in???? ARGH!!!!"

Homercidal said:
FYI - 3DRealms has signed a 3rd Generation Physics engine for use in DNF. This is supposed to be more advanced than even HL2's Havok engine and only took a couple of weeks to integrate into the game as it stands. I believe the name was "Meqon". There is supposed to be some very cool demos of it on Meqon's website, but I haven't had a chance to check it out.

Yeah, it's called meqon. I love it. It's awesome, especailly with liquids (more real-time then just animations that play another animation of a splash) and cloth. I'd suggest trying it out.
Duke Nuken Forever looks cool, and should be comin out soon.
Half-Life 2, Duke Nukem Forver, Starship Troopers, oh my!

You can already mod this in for HL1, albeit it does take some specific fgd and inscription code line properties. Even when you do it though, it causes some issues. HL1 is based on parsed directional code paths. So lies the problem of creating and maintaining that direction without your character "model" skipping all over the brush elements. Essentially, you have to setup a specific entity system that defines flag variables for walls. This allows you to walk up a wall, jump in the air towards an upside room--etc...and land accordingly with correct path direction gravity. Can't be done in hl1 without entities reacting directly with each other. So, while you could do it, the bugs in the system would be too hard and time consuming to even make it worth doing. Clip and cull ratios on every brush[especially very complex geometry...jeesh]. This is the big advantage in source, and something that Valve has talked about very much so.

So yes,

Source pretty much has to support direction habit gravity. Considering it has input output entity ranges and cohesive entity support.

Cheers,

Polykarbon

Not putting space in HL2 was a "design decision, not a technical limitation. It could be easily modded in."

Homercidal said:

the Meqon engine is very similiar to the Source's modified Havok engine.yeah, the demos are really cool.Here is the link

Back