Sprinting?

there can be a run key if you disable always walk, but one of the first comments by gabe about HL2 details is that movement would be EXACTLY like HL1, dont u remember?

i use arrow keys, btw, but i cant use num pad and arrows at the same time now (what the ****? im serious this shit has to stop happening to me and only me) so i cant use num0 for reload, thank god for 5-button mice!

btw, im right handed

My key conig: w=foward, s=backward,ad=sidestep etc..., shift, crouch, space=jump and in Wolfenstein, c=sprint-my crouch button is more important than my sprint key.
And I'm thinking about switching it to E=foward, D=backwards, SF=sidestep etc... :)

WASD is definately a more efficient control scheme - I doubt you'd find many good online players who use the arrow keys, for example. Also, switching schemes will be good for you arrow key users (unless you are left handed, of course), it's good to learn to be adaptable :)

I use WASD (up,down,strafe left, strafe right), q e and r for weps, use and reload, control for crouch, space for jump. Basically that means I can have my fingers on, and ready to press, all the movement keys (incl. jump and crouch) and only centimeters away from all the use and weapon keys. You get so used to it you'll never look back :cheese:

I'm thinking about switching to something more in the middle of the keyboard so more keys are within easy reach. You can reach GRV from WASD so if you shifted it over to the right you could get QAZ and tab caps shift etc. Anyone tried anything like this? Oh, i've heard that some people use space to fire cause the act of clicking the mouse can throw your aim off of small targets.

-Straylight

Yes, Sprinting should be a good option. It makes thinks more interesting.

How do you guys adequately strafe using those awful arrow keys?

If it's that awkward you should just use the single player experience to force yourself to get used to it. That's how I learned it, and once you can do it efficiently, you can literally run circles around anyone that plays with the arrow keys. Strafing is a part of the heart and soul of being a great deathmatch player. Without it, you have to walk blindly around corners. :/

But back on topic, I think the sprint ability should be useful and add another dimension to the Half Life experience.

Originally posted by dis
How do you guys adequately strafe using those awful arrow keys?

If it's that awkward you should just use the single player experience to force yourself to get used to it. That's how I learned it, and once you can do it efficiently, you can literally run circles around anyone that plays with the arrow keys. Strafing is a part of the heart and soul of being a great deathmatch player. Without it, you have to walk blindly around corners. :/

But back on topic, I think the sprint ability should be useful and add another dimension to the Half Life experience.
I'm left-handed and it's very hard to get used to wasd... if you've ever seen a great arrow user, you'll see that there is no difference in efficiency as long as both players are very used to their setup; it's all about preference; you can't force someone to change; why go through the trouble when you're perfectly used to something?
ok, so you said you're a former arrow user, if I'm assuming correctly? well, if you were any good with them, you know what I'm talking about; if not, you're really underestimating skilled players; if you can own just about anyone in UT/Q3/CS, etc., and you're not using wasd, what's not to understand?

I'm not positive, but I don't think you understand the kind of sprinting we are talking about. It's faster than running and can only be done for a limited amount of time because your stamina will drain. In DoD, you can't attack while sprinting and hopefully it'll be the same way for HL2. It's only to be used when you need to run away from danger or something.

I understand what sprinting is. Go faster for a short amount of time, yeah i know. I don't see what the big deal is. I have running as always on, walk when i hold down shift, and sprinting mapped to whatever buttons i want. Not that big a deal

How do you guys adequately strafe using those awful arrow keys? If it's that awkward you should just use the single player experience to force yourself to get used to it. That's how I learned it, and once you can do it efficiently, you can literally run circles around anyone that plays with the arrow keys. Strafing is a part of the heart and soul of being a great deathmatch player. Without it, you have to walk blindly around corners. :/ But back on topic, I think the sprint ability should be useful and add another dimension to the Half Life experience.

what are you talking about? how does using arrows keep me from strafing correctly. I use my mouse to turn around and i strafe with my left and right arrow keys, its easier than breathing. Who in their right mind would map turn left ot turn right commands to buttons when a mouse does the same thing?

what are you talking about? how does using arrows keep me from strafing correctly. I use my mouse to turn around and i strafe with my left and right arrow keys, its easier than breathing. Who in their right mind would map turn left ot turn right commands to buttons when a mouse does the same thing?
one thing's for sure... he was not referring to using keyboard buttons in lieu of mouse look; that would be outrageous, lol, like the Doom days; and ya, you're right, once you're used to something, you're not going back to something else that will set you back a few weeks of practice

sprinting keys are great, I hope there is also stamina. so you wont be able to sprint all the time wich would be unrealistic

I'm fine with sprinting, as long as it's done well like in DoD.

As for my controller configuration, I use the arrow keys. I've tried switching to WASD, but I never seem to stick with it, I always revert back to the arrow keys. logically, it makes perfect sense to use the WASD keys, and I even have problems with the arrow keys, and I've tried to adapt it better (using the Del, End and PgDn keys, along with the left side of the num pad), but I just can't get myself to stick with the WASD configuration...

I use the arrow keys also, and I have a setup that i'm used to and that I prefer.
People who say that arrow key users can't play well against WASD users are being ignorant. Sorry to be rude but setups don't make much of a difference for skill and practice.
It's all a matter of preference and what works for you. Don't try to force people to change.
As far as strafing I also use my arrow keys to strafe left and right, so how can WASD be better for strafing?

As far as the sprinting goes, I like it. It was always useful in DoD to get away from gunfire quickly or to take a new position.

Cheers!
:cheers:

My setup

KP 8 - Forward
KP 5 - Back
KP 4 - Strafe Left
KP 6 - Strafe Right
KP 7 - Jump
KP 9 - Duck
KP / - Use
KP * - Reload
KP 0 - Walk

Mouse 1 - Fire
Mouse 2 - Alt. Fire

Been using it since HL1 - can't get used to not having the down key directly below the up key (WASD)

I'll probably make KP . sprint :)

I'm also going to get a keyboard that has the numpad on the left side, so I'm not over here >>> so much

Everyone should really use WASD unless they are left handed and just can't manage. After a week or so, it will feel more natural than the arrow keys ever did. With shift as walk or crouch, and space as jump, it's just perfect. You also have easy to reach keys all around it like:
Q E R T F C shift capslock tab ctrl alt Z X C
and at least half of the number keys, for weapons. It's far superior to any other key setup, and you would do yourself a lot of good to use it. My friend recently switched after four years of arrow keys, and he says it made a significant improvement in his ability to move and handle weapons in CS and other FPS games.

well then i'm a stubborn bastard cause my control setup ain't gonna change *thumbs nose at WASD*

Originally posted by MrTeatime
Everyone should really use WASD unless they are left handed and just can't manage. After a week or so, it will feel more natural than the arrow keys ever did. With shift as walk or crouch, and space as jump, it's just perfect. You also have easy to reach keys all around it like:
Q E R T F C shift capslock tab ctrl alt Z X C
and at least half of the number keys, for weapons. It's far superior to any other key setup, and you would do yourself a lot of good to use it. My friend recently switched after four years of arrow keys, and he says it made a significant improvement in his ability to move and handle weapons in CS and other FPS games.
that's great but we're not gonna change our minds; there's nothing wrong with our setup, we're managing just as well as anyone else, thank you for your concern :p

OK here is my tried and true setup:

MOUSE1: fire
MOUSE2: alt fire
WHEEL: Jump
MOUSE4+5: Reload

Up: Forward
Down: Back
Left: LStrafe
Right: RStrafe

Ctrl: Crouch
Shift: walk (very rarely)

I don't use any other keys basically.

I think sprint key is a good idea. I never really saw a purpose for the walk key. Unless of course you can sneak by people by walking.

I am an avid arrow key user ever since Jedi Knight. I am left handed but I don't really see how handedness affects anything. I just think that it's hard to find the wasd keys when you're trying to concentrate on the screen. And proximity to the number keys isn't that important. I usually just use mouse scroller to change weaps!

I agree that the wasd is a little more ergonomic since with arrows the left hand has to reach across the keyboard, but as for the amount of keys you can reach, its about the same. With the arrow keys I have ctrl, shift, enter, kp_ins, kp_end and kp_4 all within easy reach. Also delete, end and page down. I like it because the arrows are separated from all the other ones.

I think one major difference with me is that I use mouse2 for jumping while most people use spacebar...for me spacebar has always been use/open.

Originally posted by LoneDeranger
OK here is my tried and true setup:

MOUSE1: fire
MOUSE2: alt fire
WHEEL: Jump
MOUSE4+5: Reload

Up: Forward
Down: Back
Left: LStrafe
Right: RStrafe

Ctrl: Crouch
Shift: walk (very rarely)

I don't use any other keys basically.

Ever played a game with lean?

I think both sprinting and leaning should be an option in any FPS game. It just gives a more realistic touch to the experience.

i lead the ROgue Spear league for 5 months straight once on mplayer as Blud Stane... here's my setup :) (btw the WASD setup sucks cause i fumble and hit the wrong key sometimes :p)

Up Arrow: forward
Down Arrow: Backward
Left Arrow: Left
Right Arrow: Right

Ctrl: Use (unless theres a prone, then i use ctrl for prone and spacebar for Use)
Shift: Crouch
Enter: Jump

Delete: 3rd person/1st person toggle
End: Primary weapon
Page Down: Rate of Fire

0 Insert: reload

Left Mouse: fire
Right mouse: zoom or secondray fire
Middle Mouse: scroll weapons

Originally posted by LoneDeranger
Maybe I did, but I probably didn't use that feature.

You probably got owned then.

In multiplayer.

leaning can be done with ctrl or ins_0 or the 2 extra buttons on a 5 button mouse. You don't necessarily need WASD to lean

Hmm... I forgot completely about arrow key setups. Lol. I always use WASD and buttons around it.

I'm telling ya, the keypad makes sense! KP-1 and KP-3 for leaning, and then you have KP + & KP - & KP Enter for other stuff. Alot cleaner than WASD in my mind. But its just what you get used to, and you can't say that one particular setup is going to improve your game :cool:

I use Q and E for leaning, I hate the bottom buttons.

HL2 better not have the leaning feature, can anyone find out whether theres lean in HL2???

Heres my keys:

b=forward
v=backward
c=crouch
x=rstrafe
z=lstrafe
shift=walk/sprint
space=jump
mouse1=fire
mouse2=alternatefire
mouse3=usekey
mouse4=reload
mouse5=buymenu
mouse6=....... there is no mouse6!

Originally posted by chris_3
HL2 better not have the leaning feature, can anyone find out whether theres lean in HL2???

Oh no, they can add it all they want. Maybe I'll even find a use for it if I grow an 11th finger.

i'm now remembering one reason i liked HL1 so much. it had, out-of-the-box, the best control sceme i've ever used... i've modeled my controls in ever other FPS after it's setup... it seemsed so natural. after 4 1/2 years with this system, it's very natural to me. not perfect, mind you, but far better than the alternatives...

Currently use:
mouse = look; mouse 1(left) = fire; mouse2(right) = sec. fire (or use, for some games); mouse3 and 4 = rarely used. pistol and knife in CS in case i lose them ;)

a = left.strafe; d = right.strafe; w = forward; s = backward ; ctrl = crouch; space = jump; shift = walk; q = last weapon; e = use; r = reload; f = flashlight; 1-0 (hopefully 5 or 6) = weapon switches.

z, x, c i cant use well casue i cant move well at the same time. everything g and right is difficult also. the pageup/home/etc. bunch is nice for special purpose. some nice sensible keys like i = inventory o = objectives enter = special menu works as long as they don't need to be used in combat.

lean is kinda nice but i don't allow for it in my controls so i never use it. doen't come naturally.

sprint. i like the double-forward idea. not another key to map. i'd like that option. sometimes they are annoying, but if it's just so you can make a run for cover and it's not needed often...

-Phision

Heres my keys:
b=forward
v=backward
c=crouch
x=rstrafe
z=lstrafe

This is the weirdest config I've seen. Nice work mate :D

I've played both arrows and wasd. There is no difference. Once you are accustomed to one setup you can play just as skillful as anyone else. Most progammers use wasd, but this is just a statistic, there are still equally skilled gamers having just as much success using the old (Doom 1’s) arrow keys. It is basically what ever you feel comfortable with.

It is possible to change over from wasd to arrows or vice versa with about a weeks practice. If you do hard core competitive gaming it’ll take you a good month to get all your freedom back. If you’re in single player it’ll take a lot less time then that.

Based on personal experience I was forced to change setup when I threw my mouse out to start gaming with a graphics tablet. I went from an 8 button mouse to a 2 button pen (+1 touch). It took me a good month to get totally back up to my old level learning both a new keyboard configuration as well as a totally new pointing device. My suggestion is if you’re feeling a little uncomfortable (if you are getting wrist pains etc), or if you are reaching for buttons that should be easier to get at just change your config. You’ll be happier afterward. I found it helps not to listen to what anyone says about which is better, or even worse, which setup you MUST use. Just experiment on your own to get what ever is most appropriate for your style of gaming.

*attached is a few cs progamer configs to look at if you are interested. I have no idea what pro quake or unreal players are using, or gamers that use lean or sprint in a game. sos

Heres my keys:

b=forward
v=backward
c=crouch
x=rstrafe
z=lstrafe
shift=walk/sprint
space=jump
mouse1=fire
mouse2=alternatefire
mouse3=usekey
mouse4=reload
mouse5=buymenu
mouse6=....... there is no mouse6!

Funny I thought you could lean around corners in real life firefights......

Anyway, your configurations makes so much sense you gotta find some buttons for lean anyway....

Back