Squads in HL2: good or not?

Bongfarmer

Reaction score
Like here
Form what I've gathered you can call up to 4 rebels to help you at any time, like this, and give them commands

http://www.halflife2.net/news//1096653015_HL2oct1.jpg

Is there anytihng from preventing you from abusing them? Lets say theres a really tough combine outpost, couldnt you just send wave after wave of suicidal rebels at them and take pot shots at the combine while they are preoccupied?

i says its a good thing
add more to the gameplay

aux= auxiliary power. That's power you use for running and the flashlight, I believe

Bongfarmer said:
Like here
Form what I've gathered you can call up to 4 rebels to help you at any time, like this, and give them commands

http://www.halflife2.net/news//1096653015_HL2oct1.jpg

Is there anytihng from preventing you from abusing them? Lets say theres a really tough combine outpost, couldnt you just send wave after wave of suicidal rebels at them and take pot shots at the combine while they are preoccupied?

No, Valve has stated that the Rebels will run away if they feel overwhelmed or scared, etc. So no, they won't just run into battle. They'll follow you for the most part though. REmember you are like a God to them.

There'll be a few rebels hanging around some of the levels. When ol' Gordo tell them to jump, they'll start flying.

There won't be an unlimited horde spawning at request though.

I interpreted it as meaning that you can command them if they're already present. Say if you come across a few hiding in a bombed-out building, you press that key and they start following.

The way it works is that you get a squad, command it to a place with the v button, and a second press on the v button orders a regroup. When a member dies, it gets replaced by a new one as soon as you walk by a not occupied resistance fighter.

And Valve says they refuse suicidal orders.

Ohh, I thought you just requested rebels and they came running. If its more like the original than thats great

That sounds like a nice idea hehe.

I think its a good idea, they didnt work as well in the build (another reason to never ever download it) they were only on some levels, and added some atmosphere that you were the omnipitent Freeman, and that it wasnt just you vs. world-- to make it seem believeable that it is a real underground war going on. They were only in some missions, so yeah, i liked it

It is a good idea, especially since according to Valve they aren't necessary to beat the game. Thus, they add replayability.

That makes it 1 more reason why the game pwns all! :)

Yep, it's cool stuff, I use to love that in op4 , now imagine it with better IA :D

I think that this is a very good thing. There should be some intense battles throughout the game. From what I've read, the AI is pretty good at fighting back too.

Mediocre thing........

WTF kind of question is that, seriously. Wait for the game to judge...

character interaction is something that im most looking forward to.

I'm one of those that felt a twinge of guilt ordering Barney to his demise over and over again. With sqauds, I'll get 4x the guilt with no extra effort!

Back