Star Found Shooting Water "Bullets"

LibDem

Reaction score
Seven hundred and fifty light-years from Earth, a young, sunlike star has been found with jets that blast epic quantities of water into interstellar space, shooting out droplets that move faster than a speeding bullet.

The discovery suggests that protostars may be seeding the universe with water. These stellar embryos shoot jets of material from their north and south poles as their growth is fed by infalling dust that circles the bodies in vast disks.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/06/110613-space-science-star-water-bullets-kristensen/

A protostar found in the northern constellation Perseus, has been found shooting hydrogen/oxygen atoms (water) out of its north and south poles. The water has a velocity of 200,000 kilometers [124,000 miles] per hour. Pretty amazing discovery.

By gosh, a proper usage of the word epic.

2037 : Supersoaker branded water guns now utilise fusion cores to replace out-of-date pump action method of propelling water.

Indeed there is hydrogen present in stars but I'm not sure about oxygen...

How does a ball of plasma have water?

All star forming nebulae have hydrogen and oxygen. The combination is created by gravity. Protostars do this thing when they're forming not long after they first start their fusion process where they spew gases and energy from their poles. Apparently the discovery is that at this stage, they're fusing hydrogen and oxygen into water and shooting it through these jets. It's not really water until it slows and condenses. I suppose it's more like steam I figure. For a second I was wondering if this would could possibly be reason for something like the Ort cloud, however they said it was at 5,000 AUs and the Ort cloud is at 50,000 AUs. Comets a lot of water ice. Seems like it might work. It's cool that there's so much water around. Seems like life is going in various forms is going to be pretty commonplace in the universe.

Back