StarGate Mod plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

angelbv

The plan for making a game of StarGate SG1 is in my mind for a very long time and in Half Life 2 i think it cane be a reality.

I know the basics of programming and just bought the book C++ in 21 day's just anouf time becouse the game is coming out in 21 day's :D

Modeling i can do already and mapping to but the biggest problem i think wil be the coding. And i think its time to make a script and some drawings and a site white a forum and somthing were people can post ideas or maps or models.

Are there people who think this all is a Good Idea :naughty:

would be wise to spend your time learning to code rather than wasting it on a website imo

angelbv said:
The plan for making a game of StarGate SG1 is in my mind for a very long time and in Half Life 2 i think it cane be a reality.

I know the basics of programming and just bought the book C++ in 21 day's just anouf time becouse the game is coming out in 21 day's :D

Modeling i can do already and mapping to but the biggest problem i think wil be the coding. And i think its time to make a script and some drawings and a site white a forum and somthing were people can post ideas or maps or models.

Are there people who think this all is a Good Idea :naughty:

No, to be honest, I don't think it's a good idea. You're running with someone else's copyright material in the first place, and that's pretty much frowned upon.

Second, coding a mod for HL2 is probably not the best "first project." You can read all the books you want, but what you really need is to get your hands dirty with some real projects. I have a feeling when you look at the SDK you're just going to be overwhelmed unless you have a good base of knowledge AND experience.

The Dark Elf said:
Thats a lot of stargate mods.. wonder how many have permission

My guess would be zero of them have permission from the owner of the copyrighted material and intellectual property holder.

botman

therealescher said:
No, to be honest, I don't think it's a good idea. You're running with someone else's copyright material in the first place, and that's pretty much frowned upon.

Second, coding a mod for HL2 is probably not the best "first project." You can read all the books you want, but what you really need is to get your hands dirty with some real projects. I have a feeling when you look at the SDK you're just going to be overwhelmed unless you have a good base of knowledge AND experience.

i have been busy with the HL1 SDK and i was overwhelmed but whene i dith some reseurch i could get things don with litle knoledge of c++

a made a box entity and a menu and that menu could only be used whene inside the box entity.
the menu could trigger other entety's maby not much but i was proud at my self :)

the copyricht thing i dit not realy think about that thanks

Copyright owner's permission isn't required - no actual copyrighted material is used (voices, images, etc). While the concept is free to use, in fan fiction, mods or whatever.

Solver said:
Copyright owner's permission isn't required - no actual copyrighted material is used (voices, images, etc). While the concept is free to use, in fan fiction, mods or whatever.

I looked around and could find nowhere where the owner of stargate gave permission to use the concept in fan fiction, mods etc.

Im curious because its very rare for people to do this, if you can find a link to where you saw this, I'd love to see it.

If they didnt give express permission, then the concept is not free to use in mods.

Solver said:
permission is required.

buh, you'll get much more succes when you try to create an original concept or make something very nice of an existing concept. But that last one is hard, very hard, and I seriously doubt you'll manage to do that with your basic programming skills :).

my 2 cents ;)

Solver said:

If anyone tried to use any of my intellectual property, they'd damn well have to get permission from me first.

If you don't own it, you can't use it.

wele i hope the HL2 SDK is better documented than the HL1 SDK
and one of the reasons of wanting to do this is learning from it.

and my c++ skills ar getting bether by the day with c++ in 21 day's :E

but i am rethinking if i am going to use stargate. my mind is going in other directions that are maby even bether.

it is intresting to know if a concept like StarGate is protected?
If some one knows a link that clarefy's that i think it wil be use full for more people than my self

wath ever hapens i wil have a mod

With the DMCA copyright protection is automatic. They don't have to file for a copyright, it's just assumed that it is copyrighted.

angelbv said:
it is intresting to know if a concept like StarGate is protected?
If some one knows a link that clarefy's that i think it wil be use full for more people than my self

Yes, it is protected.

This varies a LOT depending on what country you are in, there is a great UK site (UK and US law are pretty similiar on this) here:

http://www.intellectual-property.gov.uk/

particuarly this page on what you needpermission for:
http://www.intellectual-property.gov.uk/std/faq/question5.htm

as you can see, there are SOME things you can do without permission. These situations do not cover mods, however.

Another good site, focuses on the US side of things and what your allowed to do for educational purposes and copyright. Its a is a database of links to all the various sources.
http://www.albany.edu/~ls973/copy.html

as you can see, it gets pretty complicated pretty quickly.
A good rule of thumb is, if its an existing universe, and your planning on showing it off to other people, its probably not allowed.

What happened to the poll where we voted about if those kind of threads had to be closed? I know most of the guys that post those threads are new to the forums but it's kind of annoying having to repeat the same things about originality and copyrights... Can we do something to help and give usefull comments about the MODs without having to argue about copyrights issues? There is already a sticky about this in the Help Wanted & Offered forums but people doesn't seem to read it...

seems his coding problem has been sorted, no use in keeping this open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back