Steam 2.0 Goes Public

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wahey! The media is very close now.
It's been announced on PHL so there will be an influx of newbs (bless em) here soon with questions about Steam. But we'll be nice to them :)devil:)

Anyway, the Steam website's been redesigned too with an announcement about the media and Steam is nearly at full bandwidth so the waiting will soon be over! :bounce:

I'm sure the other PHL thing about Steam about 2 weeks back, and the Fileplanet thing about 1 week ago brought most of the newbie's out of the woodworks.

Edit: Although the main page does look very nice without the coming soon. Maybe all the bugs will be fixed soon and it'll be out of beta (Or does this mean it is out).

i saw something that made me curious. i had a version a steam i downloaded awhile back, and with all the patches i wasnt sure if i had the right version or whatever so i just downloaded the public one. i noticed the litle logo in the bottom right hand corner is different. is this version different from the one i had, maybe different for the hl2 media?

Funny because I heard a message on the Steam forums about that new logo, but I never saw it. I might download that version and get rid of the one I've been downloading since January.

My guess is it gets released today, only 1 server down atm

Do I have to download steam version 2 or will steam automatically update it? Cause some sites say that you can get stuff like Counter-Strike 1.6 with steam version 2.

Some sites are stupid. See, there used to be Steam 1, but then that thing is completely gone. Any Steam you download is Steam 2.0

Ok i want to download counter-strike 1.6, its not doing it on its own, how do i download it?

You can get CS 1.6 BETA with Steam. And yes, the idea of Steam is that it automatically updates everything, CS, HL and Steam itself all automatically update.

MIWojo, you should ask this in the Steam forums, but since I'm already typing, go to games, right click Counter-Strike, go to properties, and select Automatically Update this Game.

Right click on the CS icon in Games and select "Properties...". The in the drop down box near the bottom select "Always keep this game up to date". Restart Steam.

If it doesn't do anything then it's up to date, if it does, then sit back, relax, and let it download.

its always been on auto update game automatically, but its not downloading anything

Then it's fully updated.

What happens if you try to launch the game?

yeah when i tried to launch mine it started downloding. still going as we speak

Same, 25 minutes left :(. This used to take like 12 miinutes.

Originally posted by Gojin
Funny because I heard a message on the Steam forums about that new logo, but I never saw it. I might download that version and get rid of the one I've been downloading since January.

the new logo is the "action" logo, it only appears when your steam is updating :) and its not animated, i dunno if i like it.

Half-Life 2 Media
Stay tuned for a blast of HL2 full-motion goodness, brought to you very soon via Steam.

:) :) :)

Someone go and bug Erik Johnson! How soon?!

Originally posted by LoneDeranger

Half-Life 2 Media
Stay tuned for a blast of HL2 full-motion goodness, brought to you very soon via Steam.

:) :) :)

How do you know, who is a source? I checked IRC channel, but nothing there.

Ahhh yes, an action logo with no animation. It all makes sense now!

AAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!! I thought we ANSWERED THIS! it is with steam, didn't you read this whole thread?

Back