steam and hl2 illegal?

lol

Seriously you know maybe it is illegal but you know what is more illegal, pirtating. And it is a lot harder for someone to pirate HL2 than it is to pirate doom 3 or something. I really think Steam like programs are the future of gaming, so if you dont like it go watch a movie or just leave VALVe alone.

they also ripped off the storyline from george orwell's nineteen eighty four....its a total rip off

we should make a petition to valve saying that in no way can they charge us extra for this game in the future

SUE SUE SUE, I say SUE all the way. Every point made is true. SUE

WTF STEAM IS TEH PERFECT ,,,, IT CANT BE ILLEGAL AND OFLINE MODE ALLWAYS WORKS EVEN THO IEV NEVER TRYED IT MYSELF!!!!11

heh. seriously, i dislike steam. and the $10 fee to transfer your cd-key to another account if you want to sell the game sounds very shady to me. but then again, i'm not a lawyer. ;)

I'd like to see HL2 running without Steam. I bet it'd load a million times faster.

i think the easiest thing Valve can do is get a patch on their home website that fixes the problems with not being able to get the offline mode of HL2 to work. That would probably solve alot of these problems, but maybe not. As someone who hasn't bought HL2 yet, and will have a problem with the net in the future, this is a serious problem for me. I will not "whine" to Valve, only ask them nicely what they could do for someone who has bought the game, registered it with them, and wants to cancel their net connection in the future.

Some of it is interesting. I certainly would like to see all EULAs stripped of a good portion of their power. but this is a good start

They do know that an EULA is worth nothing in court. It is NOT a legally binding contract. And studying law in highschool or college is not studying law.

HL2 is a good game, but it was distributed very poorly

Extremly poorly, so poorly it sold over 1.7 million copies in such a short amount of time.

lordoftheroot said:
lol

Seriously you know maybe it is illegal but you know what is more illegal, pirtating. And it is a lot harder for someone to pirate HL2 than it is to pirate doom 3 or something. I really think Steam like programs are the future of gaming, so if you dont like it go watch a movie or just leave VALVe alone.
Lol, its easier to pirate hl2 than it is to buy it.
I can find it on bt in about five minutes.
Now getting my parents to let me use their credit card..
Thats far more of a challenge.

Not to mention the piraters get a better product :hmph:

steam seems to me like just an 'official' and legit version of spyware. It tries to download new information onto your computer without first asking, and it pops up advertisements.

Sadly, this is the future of all software and pcgames, probably music aswell.

Ikerous said:
Lol, its easier to pirate hl2 than it is to buy it.
I can find it on bt in about five minutes.
Now getting my parents to let me use their credit card..
Thats far more of a challenge.

Not to mention the piraters get a better product :hmph:
Havn't you heard of the AI disabling problems that the pirated versions have? The pirated version has quite a few little problems that the regular retail version doesn't have.

Also I really don't know why everyone thinks its easier to pirate HL2 than other games, have you ever tried to pirate another game? Download, click a button on a CD-Key generator and that is pretty much all that needs to be done. HL2 is more difficult.

Also why do you need a credit card from your mother? Just go to the store and pay with cash like every other game forces you to do.

they also ripped off the storyline from george orwell's nineteen eighty four....its a total rip off

And he stole his ideas from We by Yevgeny Zamyatin.

Denied.

J_Tweedy said:
steam seems to me like just an 'official' and legit version of spyware. It tries to download new information onto your computer without first asking, and it pops up advertisements.

You must have a different version of steam than me. :rolleyes:

J_Tweedy said:

I would like to see a screnshot of this "advertisement"...

Unlike spyware, you can disable steam on startup, and prevent it from downloading by itself.

right click on the game and uncheck "keep this game upto date"....

right click steam icon, -settings, and uncheck "run steam when windows starts" in the interface tab... and while your at it uncheck the two boxes in messages.

J_Tweedy said:

The only ad's that are there are when steam is updating a game... It isn't a popup. I think you need to go download Spybot or something. You know you can make the game not update, use it.

JamesPicard_007 said:
Then how come Blizzard won a case involving EULAs?

http://eff.org/news/archives/2004_09.php#001962

All depends on if the courts find the EULA fair.

Before anyone starts complaining/posting about legal issues in here, I strongly suggest you read the EULA for HL2 (If you bought it retail) and for steam first.
Specifically section 9, Disclaimers; Limitation of liability, clause A, B and C. of the Steam Subscriber Agreement.

^Ben said:
Extremly poorly, so poorly it sold over 1.7 million copies in such a short amount of time.
Halo 2 is apparently selling much more. HL2 was expected to do much better.

http://www.*************/news/012005/article368.htm

GameShout lol.

AKA half lies radio, it's nice they don't reference any numbers or theese "number people"

1.7 million is a really good figure for a PC.

ok, nowadays, who doesn't have an internet connections? Even if you don't, just go to a friend's house and activate it. Now, selling it is kinda stupid, with the 10 dollars and such, but why would you want to sell half life 2? Huh? Who in their right mind would? Finally, its not valve's fault the cd keys got hacked. If people wanted to, they could do it for other games also, although they don't need a verification, they wouldn't be able to play online and the company probably wouldn't go through as much work as valve has to get them their game. You can wait two weeks for a game. If you only got your game now, you probably aren't going to be that big of a fan, and will be able to wait two weeks. Also, i don't know one person out of the friends i have that play video games on steam, have had a problem on offline mode. Ew this sickens me.

1984? explain that or when you say stole ideas do you mean the idea of an entity controlling just about every aspect of your life? With, in the case of half life 2, just ONE staggeringly tall building in the city?

besides how many ideas are original these days anyway?

They make some points and tbh im not too happy about valve either but in the end all they did was make a good game and tried to stop piracy. I think they have the balance wrong but there is no need to make so much fuss.

dogboy73 said:
Halo 2 is apparently selling much more. HL2 was expected to do much better.

http://www.*************/news/012005/article368.htm

Newflash - console games sell more than PC games.

HL2 sold 1.7 million at retail in the three months since November. That's more than Doom 3 sold in the same period.

Do you have any idea what the average sales figure for a PC game are (Andy Hodges doesn't) - you're lucky if you top 100,000 units.

xcellerate said:
1984? explain that or when you say stole ideas do you mean the idea of an entity controlling just about every aspect of your life? With, in the case of half life 2, just ONE staggeringly tall building in the city?

besides how many ideas are original these days anyway?
None. Every story written today, no matter how original the author tries to make it could easily be found to be earily similar to another story written previously.

steam needs to just check the cd-key, and unlock the game, thats it. It shouldnt need to decrypt the files, update itself, auto run, have to run to use hl2 and all that other crap

You have to use steam to use HL2 so you don't like steam you don't use it and in the process you stop using HL2.

Simple.

it's really not that simple. you may be fine with it, but others aren't, don't try and take away their sometimes valid arguements by trying to make it sound trivial.

destrukt said:
People like HL2, they don't like Steam, which the article mentions, isn't even in the EULA. So now what Mr. Logic ?

Does anyone here actually have a copy of the HL2 retail EULA? since I can't find it on the 'net.

bliink said:
Before anyone starts complaining/posting about legal issues in here, I strongly suggest you read the EULA for HL2 (If you bought it retail) and for steam first.
Specifically section 9, Disclaimers; Limitation of liability, clause A, B and C. of the Steam Subscriber Agreement.

wow, i'm really glad you said that. this is appalling...

9. DISCLAIMERS; LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
A. DISCLAIMERS.

THE ENTIRE RISK ARISING OUT OF USE OR PERFORMANCE OF STEAM, THE STEAM SOFTWARE, AND MERCHANDISE REMAINS WITH YOU, THE USER. VALVE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS (I) ANY WARRANTY FOR STEAM, THE STEAM SOFTWARE, AND THE MERCHANDISE, AND (II) ANY COMMON LAW DUTIES WITH REGARD TO STEAM, THE STEAM SOFTWARE, AND THE MERCHANDISE, INCLUDING DUTIES OF LACK OF NEGLIGENCE AND LACK OF WORKMANLIKE EFFORT. STEAM, THE STEAM SOFTWARE, THE MERCHANDISE, AND ANY INFORMATION AVAILABLE IN CONNECTION THEREWITH ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS, "WITH ALL FAULTS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NONINFRINGEMENT. ANY WARRANTY AGAINST INFRINGEMENT THAT MAY BE PROVIDED IN SECTION 2-312(3) OF THE UNIFORM COMMERCIAL CODE AND/OR IN ANY OTHER COMPARABLE STATE STATUTE IS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED. ALSO, THERE IS NO WARRANTY OF TITLE, INTERFERENCE WITH YOUR ENJOYMENT, OR AUTHORITY IN CONNECTION WITH STEAM, THE STEAM SOFTWARE, MERCHANDISE OR INFORMATION AVAILABLE IN CONNECTION THEREWITH.

B. NO GUARANTEES.

VALVE DOES NOT GUARANTEE CONTINOUS, ERROR-FREE, VIRUS-FREE OR SECURE OPERATION AND ACCESS TO STEAM, THE STEAM SOFTWARE, YOUR ACCOUNT AND YOUR SUBSCRIPTIONS(S). YOU ASSUME THE ENTIRE RISK WITH RESPECT TO THE PERFORMANCE AND RESULTS OF THE STEAM SOFTWARE IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR HARDWARE.

C. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY.

NEITHER VALVE, ITS LICENSORS, NOR THEIR AFFILIATES SHALL BE LIABLE IN ANY WAY FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND RESULTING FROM THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE STEAM, YOUR ACCOUNT, YOUR SUBSCRIPTIONS AND THE STEAM SOFTWARE INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOSS OF GOODWILL, WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VALVE BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH STEAM, STEAM SOFTWARE, MERCHANDISE THAT YOU ACQUIRE VIA STEAM, ANY INFORMATION AVAILABLE IN CONNECTION THEREWITH, OR THE DELAY OR INABILITY TO USE MERCHANDISE OR ANY INFORMATION, EVEN IN THE EVENT OF FAULT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY, BREACH OF CONTRACT, OR BREACH OF VALVE’S WARRANTY AND EVEN IF VALVE HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. THESE LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS REGARDING DAMAGES APPLY EVEN IF ANY REMEDY FAILS.

Sorry, if this is not supposed to be posted or anything. But it certainly isn't illegal and people really should be reading it.

Back