STEAM and HL2

Reaction score
i was wondering if I would want to open HL2 would i still have to log on to STEAM. Will VALVe make it possible to just open HL2 without being connected on the internet if you dled it off STEAM?

This has been answered time and time again.
You activate your copy once over the net then you can play offline.

Here's one...You DL and activated HL2...Now can you backup all your Steam and HL2 stuff after activation on cd/dvd.......Then when you format you PC, will you be able to restore the backup with HL2 and steam you did and it will still be activated without having to go online to activate again......

Yes, you can back up the files and restore them. I'm not sure if it will require re-activation, though.

how exactly do you back up the steam files do you just like drag the folder into like Nero or somehting and burn it?

Expansion Pack said:
Here's one...You DL and activated HL2...Now can you backup all your Steam and HL2 stuff after activation on cd/dvd.......Then when you format you PC, will you be able to restore the backup with HL2 and steam you did and it will still be activated without having to go online to activate again......
This sounds too simple doesn't it? You could even copy it to your friends. (!) Unless Steam uses the registry (I don't think it does for activation stuff) then this is perfectly possible. I don't think Valve are too worried about it though. Say somebody has a copy produced as you describe. As soon as two or more people go on the Net with the copy people will be screwed. It'll cause too much hassle for people.
--
Grumps

Look at the front page, there is a news article on backing up your cahce files.

grumpycrab said:
As soon as two or more people go on the Net with the copy people will be screwed. It'll cause too much hassle for people.
Which is what Steam is all about: instead of trying and failing to stop piracy, making it so difficult that you give up.

Well i assume the online activation from your PC would include a look at your hardware set up as well as CD-key and account to make it a personal unique activation to you,so it won't install on any other PC with diffrent hardware........so in theory i activate my copy,back up everything and then when i do a format and reinstall i can just restore everything without having to activate online again.........I know it sound to easy......

as long as you log into your own steam account, you can play your copy of hl2 anywhere....including a mates computer. The only thing is though, is that the same steam account cannot be active on two different computers at the same time

Adam cmon man, use some common sense u psycho in the face. Oh and that bitch answered ur question mofo ass schenyak poleskit mofo

Back