steam bandwith increase..next preload phase?

dang, that's a 100% increasement, they must be getting ready for something big! (Gold Gold Goooooooolllllddd!!!... PLEASE! :upstare: )

nice find, this can only mean 2 things: either something big is gonna happen soon or they are just doing it for testing.

Tlaloc said:
nice find, this can only mean 2 things: either something big is gonna happen soon or they are just doing it for testing.
I don't think that they are testing... each time they increased the bandwith they released some good things

valdiorn said:
dang, that's a 100% increasement, they must be getting ready for something big! (Gold Gold Goooooooolllllddd!!!... PLEASE! :upstare: )

about that other topic; plz be more careful before calling people assholes valdiorn. I started that thread to warn people not to open the thread "PS3.0? i just bought an ati card!" because i opened it right after it was started and it contained spoilers. Trying to warn people makes me an asshole? i won't do it next time because i saw how fast the admins were

Ontopic: I too hope that bandwith increase means gold reaalllly soon :p

Interl@ce said:
about that other topic; plz be more careful before calling people assholes valdiorn. I started that thread to warn people not to open the thread "PS3.0? i just bought an ati card!" because i opened it right after it was started and it contained spoilers. Trying to warn people makes me an asshole? i won't do it next time because i saw how fast the admins were
what has that to do with this thread's topic ????

segobi said:
what has that to do with this thread's topic ????

post edited.
it was mainly directed at him but i added an ontopic part. sorry bout that.

Why would Valve need extra bandwidth for the game to go gold?

This isn't an increase in bandwidth, it's a reinstatement of bandwidth. :p It was this high for ages until recently.

it was a 8Gbps before the HL2 preload when CSS beta was released and for some reason dropped when hl2 started preloading, maybe they couldnt pay the bandwidth bills :naughty: or there was a problem that is now fixed.

Anyway its good that the bandwidth is now back to normal

It's probably another preload for hl2. If I recall correctly the same thing happened last week, they bumped up the bandwidth and a few days later released the first hl2 preload. Mind you this is just speculation.

hmm i think they did add bandwith to release something..because many people are still preloading hl2 content...
until now they tried to keep the available bandwith just above the used...
but if they would want to release something they would need more bandwith like now

gman is alyx's mother

ehm this thread is pointless because noone can tell what that means, not to forget that this is the second thread about the same thing :E

*prays for gold*

xznewtypezx said:
It's probably another preload for hl2. If I recall correctly the same thing happened last week, they bumped up the bandwidth and a few days later released the first hl2 preload. Mind you this is just speculation.

Actually they bumped up the bandwidth and a few days later the CS:S preload began.

It could just be because people are still downloading the Half-Life 2 preload. The Bandwidth used was getting pretty close to the maximum.

No offence guys, but I think your stomach's are bigger than your minds here....I'd like to believe something is happening as well, but if it was another preload why would they increase bandwith? Wouldn't it over-load the servers?

Last time there was a pre-load they decreased the bandwith, because the pre-load isn't something that needs to be downloaded right now...it can wait some time...

Maybe there's an update for CS:Source...maybe?

Check Planethalflife, "The Countdown Is On"

Something big is about to go down.... I hope!

Baal said:
No offence guys, but I think your stomach's are bigger than your minds here....I'd like to believe something is happening as well, but if it was another preload why would they increase bandwith? Wouldn't it over-load the servers?

Last time there was a pre-load they decreased the bandwith, because the pre-load isn't something that needs to be downloaded right now...it can wait some time...

Maybe there's an update for CS:Source...maybe?

lol no offense, but i think you are stupid :rolling:

Well if you look at the graph for bandwidth available, before every update there has been a dip in the bandwidth available, and later on in the day/week the update is released to steam users.

It dipped last night at 5pm pst, and then an update for cs : s began around 6pm.

It currently shows, a dip and then a massive increase in bandwidth, so it does look like they are preparing for an update.

I'm guessing the dip is when the content servers are being updated by Valve.

I believe this thread belongs in the Rumours and Speculation forum.

Qwertywasd said:
{...snip...]
I'm guessing the dip is when the content servers are being updated by Valve.

that would make complete sense

pixartist said:
lol no offense, but i think you are stupid :rolling:

heh, we'll see I guess.....I don't see how I'm so "stupid" for saying what I said. But we'll see.

Feath said:
Why would Valve need extra bandwidth for the game to go gold?

Quoted for emphasis.

Seriously, even if Valve said "we've gone gold" tomorrow, that has nothing to do with the bandwidth. It's very probable that something is coming but it could just be to do with the CS:S beta. Even if its the slim chance that HL2 went gold and is already being preloaded onto people's machines, it's still pointless getting hyped up because you won't be able to play it for a few weeks whilst the games gets shipped to the retailers.

Chill Winston!! :dozey:

Exactly! I mean, look at Evil Genius. It's also being published by VU so could possibly give us some idea how long it will take, assuming they use the same company/contractor/whatever for disk replication/packaging.

It went gold on August 18th, and isnt going to be shipped to stores until September 28th. Thats according to the official website.

Even if they try to get the production of HL2 done ASAP, it could still easily take a month, if not more, to get to store shelves from the date of going gold. Which raises the question: if HL2 is still more than a month away, why have the preload so early? Why not wait until two or three weeks until release, when a date was set?

Actually, "we're going gold tomorrow" WOULD have something to do with the bandwidth. I bet a whole lot of people are gonna preload it to their computers when it goes gold. I'm sure I will, and I haven't even decided if I'm gonna buy it over Steam or in the store yet.

But I think here's where my point comes into play.

Why would they INCREASE bandwith?

Wouldn't they limit the bandwith so their servers wouldn't get overloaded? Or at least, used more than needed.

HL2 release is when the bandwith should be maxed.

Baal said:
But I think here's where my point comes into play.

Why would they INCREASE bandwith?

Wouldn't they limit the bandwith so their servers wouldn't get overloaded? Or at least, used more than needed.

HL2 release is when the bandwith should be maxed.
the AVAILABLE bandwith has been maxed...so there is MORE bandwith for people to download stuff...

Although, I find it funny that the pre-order on amazon says it will be delivered sept 2...

And there is (Was) A counter on planet half-life...

And an increase in bandwith...

Oh, and also, the delivery estimate when I first ordered it was sept 5.

Now, isn't that just dandy!?...

Although, there is some bad news... Or some good news, mattering on how you look at it. The HL2 pre-order CD says that it will be released november 1rst, but the CD I already ordered says it will get here september 2nd.

BTW, A preorder is pretty much you asking for them to send it to you as soon as it is availible.

segobi said:
the AVAILABLE bandwith has been maxed...so there is MORE bandwith for people to download stuff...

he wont understand...he thinks valve increases the bandwidth usage themselfes :E

pixartist said:
he wont understand...he thinks valve increases the bandwidth usage themselfes :E
lol yeah. Also most people at hl2fallout.com are also optimistically looking forward to something happening soon due to the bandwith increase...

seeing big updates for CS:S doesn't look good for hl2 going gold anytime soon.

poseyjmac said:
seeing big updates for CS:S doesn't look good for hl2 going gold anytime soon.
the CS:S team works seperate from the HL2 team...so CS:S develoment wont delay HL2's development...

//ontopic

All those things cant be a coincidence, i'm starting to get excited :D

Back