Steam Client Beta Available

AciD

Reaction score
A new beta for Steam client is available. To access it go to File>Settings, and on Account tab pick Change... button. From drop down menu pick Steam Client Candidate.

[br]List of changes:
  • Fixed a bug affecting Dawn of War II beta participants in certain languages
  • Fixed a bug in the game overlay affecting some Dawn of War II beta participants who have the game overlay disabled
  • Added display of auto-detected download region [br](in Settings>Downloads)
  • Fixed a bug preventing in-game status for 3rd party games

Taylor Sherman said:
Hi Everybody,

For the region listed: we need to work on the display a bit, as it's apparently a bit confusing :)

We currently have 40 or so "Cells" listed in the Steam system - so, there isn't one for every country. Some Cells include servers in several different (but reasonably close) locations.

For instance, the Norway server is in the Cell which is displayed as Sweden - it actually includes the servers in Norway, Sweden, and Denmark.

We're working on a way to display this information in a way that will make it clear that the Cell you're in is (hopefully) the one in the list that best fits your location.

We did have a server hosted for us in Brazil for a few months, but unfortunately it went away. We'd absolutely love to have servers in every corner of the world, and we're constantly working to improve the reach, but we do have a ways to go.

Meanwhile, for most of you, if the location looks to be "pretty close", then it's probably correct. Deleting your blob file probably won't change much :) However, for folks like gamer007 (obviously "Taiwan" is a bit off if gamer007 is in Canada!!), if it's way off then that might be something you want to try.

Thanks for the feedback!

Taylor Sherman
Valve

In case of upcoming revolt.

It also fixes detection of not-SteamWorks games.

And people will probably get increased download speeds due to the auto-detection of your region.

lol i just tried this beta and found my download region to be "Taiwan" even though i'm in the UK. Anyone know how to fix this? This may also explain why i keep getting put on Japanese servers in L4D instead of Europeans servers.

Back