Steam client update

Munro

ValveTime Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A new Steam platform update is available and will be applied automatically when Steam is restarted. The changes include:[br]
Steam
<ul >
[*]Source MODs will now automatically appear in the games list
[*]Improved startup process for Steam
[*]Fixed crash when creating a backup that would span multiple DVDs
[*]Fixed a bug that would unnecessarily validate Steam caches after a cache
corruption</li>
[*]Fixed Condition Zero: Deleted Scenes and Codename Gordon failing to backup
correctly</li>
[*]Fixed a bug where the message “the game files will be deleted and
re-acquired” would repeat</li>
[*]Fixed offline mode failing after not connecting to Steam for more than a month
[/list][br]
Half-Life 2
<ul >
[*]Optimization to the Steam filesystem to reduce game launch and level transition time
[/list][br]
Source SDK
<ul >
[*]Simplified debug-launch process for MOD developers. MOD developers no longer need to place a config file in their directory
[*]Added a registry key for MOD developers to use to locate a user’s Steam installation located at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam\SourceModInstallPath[/list]

The Dark Elf said:
You can do better? Apply as a newsy pleb then.
i posted it on a forum the instant i got the rss feed, so yes, but no, i'm too lazy

Who cares? Do you HAVE to know the very instant a steam update is availabe?

Munro said:
A new Steam platform update is available and will be applied automatically when Steam is restarted. The changes include:[br]
Half-Life 2
<ul >
[*]Optimization to the Steam filesystem to reduce game launch and level transition time
[/list][br]
NOW???! After all of us played and beaten the game and such so forth?

Thanks Valve, for making the loading times shorter :thumbs:

They are MUCH shorter. At least twice as short. Valve has really impressed me lately.

No CD check
Faster loading times
Game starts up faster
supposedly they fixed the bug with unneccesary validations

For us with the crappier computers that HL2 update is heavenly....

Go valve!!!!

Now where is that Counter-Strike: Source update ive been so eagerly waiting for?

Anyways, keep up the good work!!!

The best part of that update for me = HL2 performance improvement when booting up and loading levels.

Hating waiting 20 second for Hl2 menu to come up... and then wait 20 more seconds to load up a level. ;(

Lazy_Moron said:
Go valve!!!!

Now where is that Counter-Strike: Source update ive been so eagerly waiting for?

Anyways, keep up the good work!!!
Some people reported CS:S updating on their "monitor". Perhaps an unlock 'round X-mas? ;)

Javert said:
Some people reported CS:S updating on their "monitor". Perhaps an unlock 'round X-mas? ;)

Thats what i was thinking, it will be valves "Christmas gift to us"
But who knows.

Have you tried all of valve's recomendations???? Try that first.

Nice update, I'll get in-game soon enough to mess around :)

Lazy_Moron said:
Thats what i was thinking, it will be valves "Christmas gift to us"
But who knows.
I don't think we should be getting a "Christmas" gift from Valve, I think the game should have been complete at release. They advertised CS:S as the multiplayer component, yet we still only have 1 player model per side and limited # of maps (compared to original CS). If I had free time to actually play games, I'd be a little more annoyed than I am now, but I currently don't care that much about it.

Look! Finally, it's Fac......oh, wait...no.

Well, fixes are always good.

crazed said:
I don't think we should be getting a "Christmas" gift from Valve, I think the game should have been complete at release. They advertised CS:S as the multiplayer component, yet we still only have 1 player model per side and limited # of maps (compared to original CS). If I had free time to actually play games, I'd be a little more annoyed than I am now, but I currently don't care that much about it.

Better than nothing eh?

Considering that art takes 4x as long to create, I consider that it's fair. Sure we don't have as many maps, but that encourages the community to make some, and see if we can get new classics out there.

VALVe has told us from the beginning that they would release this update in Dec, I'm fine.

Oh and VALVe has to keep a huge standard for CS:S... They really can't screw anything up and have like animations in first person that blatantly clip through, they need to keep it looking as if it is still the #1 most played online FPS :)

Source games continue to give me "Memory Read" errors and boot me to the desktop mid-play! I know I am not the only one. Please fix this, jeez.

Javert said:
NOW???! After all of us played and beaten the game and such so forth?
I haven't beat the game yet. I played the first day of the release and haven't touched it again. IT S U C K E D!

so I thought I'd register for a HL2 forum and tell everyone there about it. Me so clever!

I'm quite disappointed... Of course it's nice that Valve spends time fixing bugs of coregame and engine, but when are we going to see fix for CS:S?

CS has already gone unplayable (atleast on Finnish servers) thanks to l33ts with wall- and speedhacks. While we are waiting for alternative mods without hacks, I'm counting on Valve for making patch to anti-cheating system (while dissing Punkbuster... lame)

Some people seem to be forgetting this happens to every game released. You try testing a peice of software you created on millions of different PC configs.

Zeus said:
They are MUCH shorter. At least twice as short. Valve has really impressed me lately.

No CD check
Faster loading times
Game starts up faster
supposedly they fixed the bug with unneccesary validations
Why didn't they just start with that...now everyone have completed it 4 times

The monitor still doesn't work properly. And we need some anti-cheat. Other than that, I'm good!

This update only updated condition zero for me according to the steam monitor! maybee it didnt actually do anything cos HL2 still takes a million years to load on an XP 3200 with a gig of RAM :rolleyes:

I've noticed load times are shorter. Not dramatically so, but it's a welcome improvement none the less.

• Source MODs will now automatically appear in the games list

Can anyone explain this? My mod's folder was already existing in my \username directory and it is not in the Play Games list. How do I get it there?

And...how do they want us to use that SteamApps\SourceMods directory? Recommended directory to put mod folder?

Some_God said:
The best part of that update for me = HL2 performance improvement when booting up and loading levels.

Hating waiting 20 second for Hl2 menu to come up... and then wait 20 more seconds to load up a level. ;(

only 20 seconds...damn mine takes like 40-80 seconds for menu. loading up quicksaves is fast but transitions bewtween levels is pretty damn slow.

Yay this update is going to be sweet when I get my new comp and HL2.

My previous comp blew up ;( , one of the fuses and it fried my motherboard.

But keep em updates coming

Back