Steam DL Speed?

House

Reaction score
I started downloading the preload today from 0% at 7:15pm. It is now 11pm and it's only at 70%. I have been monitoring Steam and it shows an average of 384 kb/s. It shouldn't take 5 hours to DL 1043MB at 384 kb/s. WTF?

House said:
I started downloading the preload today from 0% at 7:15pm. It is now 11pm and it's only at 70%. I have been monitoring Steam and it shows an average of 384 kb/s. It shouldn't take 5 hours to DL 1043MB at 384 kb/s. WTF?

I'm not sure, maybe it's because you're downloading during peak game times, but I was getting at speeds of over 1 M (1.3 M was the highest I think)

384 kb/s = .384 mb/s

1043mb @ .384 mb/s = 400/sec = 6.6 min

So obviously, Steam can't dl 1043mb in 6.6 minutes. So the Steam Monitor is not an actual dl speed, but just network activity speed. I wish they would include dl rate or at least time frames for dl's.

Monitoring the total transfered data makes more sense to me. And of course if you're getting CSS concurrently, thats another gig. What are you bitchin about anyways? Clearly its coming in way f'n fast. :dozey:

Actually the preload is bigger then a gig,. between HL2 and CSS, theres 3.4 gigs of files.

No, it's in bits per second on the download monitor! You will have to divide/multiply everything by 8 to get the right answers :)
kb = kiloBIT
kB = kiloBYTE

So the HL2 download finished at around 2am which was 1043mb. It took about 6 hours to complete. I have broadband. That is absolutely horrible. I pre-ordered right after it was done thinking I'd be ready to play CSS, but no. It didn't DL CSS. Instead, I have to DL the 941MB for CSS. So, I just closed it, turned off my computer and went to bed. But this time it said it would take approximately 100min to DL CSS. I'll DL when I get home from work today. Stupid Steam.

Yeh, as kirk says I'm pretty sure it displays as kiloBITs opposes to kilobytes, as on the steam monitor I'm always getting arond 400-750kb/s, but thing such as CS:S would take around the normal amount of time.

House said:
384 kb/s = .384 mb/s

So obviously, Steam can't dl 1043mb in 6.6 minutes. So the Steam Monitor is not an actual dl speed, but just network activity speed. I wish they would include dl rate or at least time frames for dl's.

Sorry, but your math is a little off... even if you're operating in kilobytes instead of kbits as stated.

384 Kb/s = 2.67 seconds to download 1 Mb (1024/384)

2.67 * 1043 = 2781.3 seconds, or 46.35 minutes (2781.3/60)

But the speed is actually in bits, not bytes, so you have to multiply by 8, giving you 370.84 minutes, or just over 6 hours and 10 minutes.

Kirkburn said:
No, it's in bits per second on the download monitor! You will have to divide/multiply everything by 8 to get the right answers :)
kb = kiloBIT
kB = kiloBYTE

I thought I was the only person who knew that... who told you?

House said:
384 kb/s = .384 mb/s

What are you talking about? kb/s doesn't equal mb/s. It's called megabits and megabytes per second. There are 8 kilobits per kilobyte, this 384kb/s (kilobits) = an average DL speed of 48KB/s (Kilobytes per second). That's real slow.

md10md said:
What are you talking about? kb/s doesn't equal mb/s. It's called megabits and megabytes per second. There are 8 kilobits per kilobyte, this 384kb/s (kilobits) = an average DL speed of 48KB/s (Kilobytes per second). That's real slow.

Thanks for the taking the time to make your first post proof that you are a complete geek. :thumbs:

This may help...

For example:-

512k broadband connection = 512,000 bits per second. (512kbs)
512,000 / 8 (8 bits per byte) = 64,000 bytes
64,000 / 1024 (1024 bytes per kilobyte) = 62.5 kilobytes per second. (k/sec)

A normal 512kbs broadband connection will get around 59 to 60k/sec.

therefore a 1000mb file will take just over 4.5 hours assuming a constant download rate of 60k/sec.

a 384kbs service would be around 6 hours...

hope this helps

Can we just stop this now? I think the point has been proved :p
Anyways, it'd be nice if Steam made sure the difference was obvious to the unknowing user (trying to remember which is a big B (byte) and which is a small b (bit) gets boring)

I'm actually amazed by the low number of people understanding the difference between kb and kB. Good you guys manage to clear things out. I don't even want to count the times I've tried teaching people the same thing.

Back