Steam Download Speeds

[[LuCkY]]

Reaction score
I can do 4.0 mbps, I have never seen steam go above 2.0-2.5, and it's generally around 1.5.

What does everyone else get...I've seen people over 7mbps, is there some trick to it? =/

Who cares, I can only get 500kb/sec :/

I don't understand those Steam speeds. Does it refer to bits or bytes?

bits ... we've had long conversations over mugs of cocoa about this :p
Ok, possibly there wasn't any cocoa.

Anyways, I would expect Steam to limit individual's download speeds to as to be fair.

Can you check how big the cfg is? And does it increase after every pre-load?

Steam's saying it's 100%, but I don't think I've got yesterday's yet. Could someone check the size of their completed HL2 so I can make sure?

I think my DL speed is around 4.5mbits/s. I have a 8mbit connection.

Seeing all that b/w they have for steam... shouldnt we get better download speed?

i have 512k connection, so i get about 30-40kkilobytes a second. lovely jubbly.

Lorka said:
Can you check how big the cfg is? And does it increase after every pre-load?

Steam's saying it's 100%, but I don't think I've got yesterday's yet. Could someone check the size of their completed HL2 so I can make sure?
The cfg builds up to its max filesize and then gets filled in as it downloads.

Don't you guys mean the gcf files ? Half life 2 is about 3,2Gigs If you're talking about the size of the gcf's.

Ecthe|ioN said:
Don't you guys mean the gcf files ? Half life 2 is about 3,2Gigs If you're talking about the size of the gcf's.
Ah yes, I play around with my .cfg's too much in games.

Gah. Mine says its finished, and I'm not entirely sure it's incorrect. If I was to restart the preload to be sure this weekend, how would I do it?

Why don't you think it's correct? Phase 7 was only a small download for english users ...
My opinion, don't worry about it!

omg people

150kb..... 500kb.......... try 5.4kb a second its the best !!

Steams connection is giant, its been said (dont remember where) that their speed is 10,000mbps. Thats how you can get such a stupidly fast download speed, ty valve ty.

Operator said:
Steams connection is giant, its been said (dont remember where) that their speed is 10,000mbps. Thats how you can get such a stupidly fast download speed, ty valve ty.

Thing is... we dont! :)

Kirkburn said:
Erm, you do. Compare it to most website downloads ...
Exactly. I normally DL at about 100-200 kb/s, but steam DLs at around 1.5 mb/s. That impresses me.

This may sound stupid, but how do you check Steam's download rate?

Back