Steam Downloads

dru

Reaction score
does anyone know if there is a way to pause downloads on steam (or even better, stop hl2 from downloading 900 meg of itself every time its installed? i have 56k, it would help to know this) anyway, thanks for your time, i know i ask a lot of questions :D

sorry but i must bump this, you have no idea how eager i am to get hl2 to work so i can play that physgun mod..

Hey dru,

Go to Play games Right click hl2 and go to properties on atomatic updates change it to Do Not Automaticaly Update this Game and also click on delete local game content that should do it if not then =o slap me !

thanks a lot for replying, but when i go to delete game content, the game gets grayed out in the list and i cant play it. also, i never had automatic update on for it, but it still tryed to update somehow.. anyway, i still appreciate your help :)

crap i deleted the game content again, now when i try to install it takes up another 1.5 gig or so that i cant get back :/

i dont know, i just want to play my halflife 2 :(

If you want to play HL2, it usually helps to have it installed. So deleting the game content isn't really going to get you anywhere. If you've got 56k it's not practical to be downloading it, so I hope you bought it at retail, and/or have a friend who can back up HL2 onto a CD/DVD for you.

the game uses the GCF files, they are not just installation files

yes i know how steam works and the gcf files are used, but im saying, when i install the game, and decrypt the files and validate it and all that crap, THEN it starts downloading it from 75%, which means another 900 meg or so...i dont actually want to download the entire game on my 56k, i bought the dvd edition (collectors edition retail).

That's because your CDs were bad and the data is having to be downloaded as a replacement. There's nothing you can do except find someone else with a working CD or with the cache files.

Back