steam.exe (main exception): unable to load library Steam.dll

M

mattnegline

this is such a joke.....a not very bloody funny joke!!!!

I just bought this game the other day (Half life 2)
took a rostered day off to play it
then I get
I scanned for viruses, spy ware, ad ware
I turned off my firewall
turned off my virus protection
turned of spy ware
turned off adaware
I don’t have any other guardian progs
deleted that blob file people have been talking about
installed steam from website and I get
another error problem with "8e8"....that is only a fraction of what I can remember from the pop up that comes up.

I have Pent 4 2.8
2 gig ram
256 6600 geforce vid card
not that this is going to bloody help at all
I paid a lot of money for a product that I have to configure, problem solve alter files delete files & bend over backwards.

I thought gaming was supposed to be fun?????
Can someone ease my frustration?

cheers Matt

Restart steam, restart your computer... I get this problem every so often, always resolves itself.

Sorry to bump, but...
I have this problem as well and it won't go away, Can anyone help.

Pah, you expect the assholes at valvE to reply to an email for help? Buaha.. That's a good one. I've never gotten this error but once, and that was because our internet was down.

Peer guardian

I had this problem too. If you are using peerguardian check that it is not blocking any of the IP's that valve/steam uses. You can either allow each one individually or disable PG for a short period.

I had this problem too. If you are using peerguardian check that it is not blocking any of the IP's that valve/steam uses. You can either allow each one individually or disable PG for a short period.
Edit/Delete Message

same

me and my roomate and another guy I know get this problem everyday... sometimes it won't connect for a day... i went as far as re-formatting windows and only installing steam and it didn't help....

anyone has any info let me know

I am officially beyond furious.

I read on this board on another thread that google search brought up that the issue could be alleviated by simply reinstalling steam. So I uninstalled steam.

What's this? It took Half Life, Portal, HL2 Ep1, HL2 Ep2, and TFT with it!

I popped in the Orange Box to reinstall and I get this stupid ****ing "Steam.exe (main exception): Unable to load library Steam.dll" bullshit.

WHY THE HELL DO I HAVE TO HAVE STEAM TO RUN MY GOD DAMNED GAMES.

/Rant

Someone please find out how to fix this crap... :(

PS... I finally understand why this German kid is so upset in this... he has Steam.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbcctWbC8Q0

PPS: I have followed the instructions from this page: http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=261

Still getting this error.

what the **** valve

same problem here guys..this is ****ing retarded. i tried reinstalling steam like 12 times, nothing..turned off firewall and all that shit, nothing..deleted steam reg files, nothing..i don't really know what to do, i check out some other 'help' pages and those pussies just say, "oh you have a bad steam file, just try another reinstall". so pissed

wouldnt it help if you delete steam.dll, and restart steam. that way the next time you start it up it will have to redownload a new (maybe working) steam.dll, maybe this helps, im not sure.

-dodo

that's the problem. i guess when it is updating, it's actually downloading the latest Steam.dll, as it doesn't install Steam.dll from the dvd

if someone could post the original Steam.dll file it would be appreciated

never mind the previous post. i got the steam.dll file via google, but then it asked for the steamui.dll file, so i downloaded that file as well, put it in the steam folder but it still says unable to load SteamUI.dll. Back to square one..

I had this problem too. In my case it was my firewall blocking Steam. A quick search learned me that the following ports need to be open :

TCP Ports : 27020-27050
UDP Ports : 1200,27000-27015

That's a whole lot more ports than I like to see open, but hey ... at least it works.

*mumble, mutter, grumble*

Thanks.. resolved :thumbs:

Allow ports on Vista

Hi same problem for me.

How can i enable this ports on Vista???Please

I had the same problem and found this thread on google.
Turns out the problem was peer guardian as someone mentioned so thanks!
I put the PG2 window up and watched what happened when I tried to use Steam.
A number of sites including Valve and LimeLightNetworks were being blocked. Just unblocking the ip in PG didnt help so I shut it down and was able to get access.
But yea steam sucks.

I searched for this problem in google and found this page which helped me in post #15 by Andrewz21
I found out Steam did not install steam.dll so i downloaded the missing .dll file and placed it on C:\Program Files\Steam
And now it works!!!!

If you want to download steam.dll then go to:
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?steam

Cheers,

behind proxy and web filter etc

Vista Business Edition w/SP1: Unable to Load Library Steam.dll
In my case I was trying to install Steam behind a corporate Proxy. I made sure that I was on a VLAN that was not being (web) filtered by changing my IP to one on a static range that was not filtered. Next I opened IE to an external site that poked a hole in the proxy. I double-checked and found that Vista's firewall was turned on with no effect on Steam. Next I was able to open Steam and it was able to connect to it's servers and get the updated .dll, logged into Steam and entered my license key for F.E.A.R.2 woot! :cool:

i have same problem firstly than i download steam and install it. it bemoan to me some mistake like steam.dll

Then i downloaded file steam.dll added in steam folder and trying again, then it bemoan some steamUI.dll it lack.

i downloaded and added in steam folder. then i start steam icon and it start updating and again that f*****g "steam.exe (main exception): unable to load library SteamUI.dll"

windows XP, SP2, but my laptop is the business laptop (so i dont have any access to ports etc).
I tried to install steam, and i got the classic message:
"unable to load library steam.dll"

i downloaded and placed it in the folder of steam, and i got another message:
"unable to load library steamUI.dll, win32"bla bla...
i downloaded and placed it in the folder of steam, and i got the same message.

Do you have any suggestions?

i have the same problem aswell, even after i connected directly to the port

Back