Steam Loading Time AHHH!!!

D

DudeMiester

It takes soooo long for Steam to load when windows boots :flame: , and my HD runs like crazy. It takes almost 5 minutes for it to load, and when it is loading it takes control of the HD to the extent that my whole computer locks up until it's done. Has anyone else had this problem? Can anything be done?

It does take time for me to load aswell. Hasnt crashed my computer yet. I think you need some more RAM memory

Ummm... 786MB of DDR 266Mhz. That isn't the problem. It's like its scanning the Steam Chache to see what's there and it's checking every single file. If this is ture, then its a waste of time. It should just check for folders and if a new folder is there, it scans it, and adds any files to an internal list. meh, I dunno I'm not Valve that's just me guess.

Workaround: Go into regedit, find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and get rid of the entry for running Steam at startup.

OR you could go to Steam settings, Interface tab, uncheck "Run Steam when Windows starts"

yeah, but we want it to run when windows starts, we just want the piece of shit to stop lagging our PCs for ****ing hell. I have the same problem, I feel ya man.

WOW, i noticed this too, i didn't realise it was steam, I am sick of it, my hard drive churns away for EONS when i boot up, I was about to format my pc!

I don't give a shit what you have, this thread is for the people who have problems and feel like bitching. Listen up Valve you FUKCS, fix this SHlT and make sure we don't have to use it for HL2 Multiplayer.

disable steam at boot time

I was also briefly annoyed that Steam thinks it is ssooo important that it needs to load on startup and try to connect to the net every time (annoying when ur on the road with a laptop).
I'm too lazy to find the option to disable this so I did the following (BE CAREFUL IN THE WINDOWS REGISTRY):

Start > Run > Type "regedit" > Press Enter.
In Regedit > Browse to "My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Run".
Right-click the key "Steam" > Choose Modify > Change the "...exe" to "...xxx" so it reads "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\\Steam.xxx -silent".

This will prevent Steam from loading on boot.
You may need to do the same for the registry path "My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Run", but I didn't.

This should help your boot problem.
You'll probably see the rest of the crap that loads when your computer boots too but some stuff needs to stay (not much!).

steam_disable_boot.JPG

preventing from load on boot isnt really the problem its just the insane time steam takes to load, and you have to load it before you can play hl2. If you want to take it off boot go to settings, then the interface tab and unselect the box at the bottem, far simpeler than messing with the registry.

xjoel said:
I'm too lazy to find the option to disable this so I did the following (BE CAREFUL IN THE WINDOWS REGISTRY):

Start > Run > Type "regedit" > Press Enter.
In Regedit > Browse to "My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Run".
Right-click the key "Steam" > Choose Modify > Change the "...exe" to "...xxx" so it reads "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\\Steam.xxx -silent".

Um...That's like three times as hard as going into Steam's settings menu and unchecking one box, heh.

just disable it from starting with your comp, it starts 20x faster after the comp has fully booted up.

Nemesis-Zero said:
Um...That's like three times as hard as going into Steam's settings menu and unchecking one box, heh.
And also more difficult than just deleting the DWORD value, instead of modifying it to "Steam.xxx". Seriously, that's the most messed up way of preventing something from loading that I've ever seen. Just delete it, no modification required,

Back