Steam News: 05/25/06

Ennui

The Freeman
Reaction score
Another Steam News update, with the link to the second Episode One teaser video, and a screenshot featuring Alyx and a [dead? who knows] "Zombine", or a headcrab-infested Combine soldier.[br]

[br]
With just one week left before Episode One will be unlocked, we've started pushing out the final game pieces for preloading. If you've already started the preload, it should be pulling the rest of the game down in encrypted form now.
[br]
Yesterday we released the first teaser video for Episode One leading up to its launch, and it is available in the media section of Steam now. While short, you'll be able to see the second version of the Source facial animation system, the new lighting model for the faces on characters, and a feature we've added called dynamic scripted sequences that gives characters like Alyx the ability to have more interactions with the environment.
[br]
The second teaser video is available now, where you'll get to see some more of this kind of interaction with Alyx and zombies. Everyone will get the chance to see this first hand when the game is released one week from today.

Click Here to see the Steam update, or restart your Steam client. You can download the teaser videos in the new Media section of Steam.

Can anyone put up a mirror? Downloading Steam videos doesn't work for me because I don't have it installed proper on this machine and so the steam:// commands don't work.

Nevermind, I just ran the Steam installer over my current installation so it's all in the registry now.

The Zombine looks great :D

No Q's asked, that 100% a zombine. Kinda looks too original though. I mean where are does a high tech alien race get a hold of some dynamite? :|

Nice teaser. Alyx got some nice moves, wish Gordon could learn those too. Please, Valve?

anyone else a little afraid of Ep1? I loved HL2, but the fact that nearly every single shot of Ep1 has alex in it really makes it look like you play the whole game with her. if this is true, I sure hope they improve the AI and don't make her so scripted.

hool10300 said:
No Q's asked, that 100% a zombine. Kinda looks too original though. I mean where are does a high tech alien race get a hold of some dynamite? :|

High tech alien race? They don't use dynamite, they grenades :p
PCGamer were merely describing it.

toekneebullard said:
anyone else a little afraid of Ep1? I loved HL2, but the fact that nearly every single shot of Ep1 has alex in it really makes it look like you play the whole game with her. if this is true, I sure hope they improve the AI and don't make her so scripted.

That's the idea behind Episode 1. Alyx. You spend almost the entire game from her. But from what certain people have said about it, I'm not in the least worried. Alyx will be protecting you more than you'll be protecting her. I mean, did you watch the teaser? (2)

Valve has already said:
1. You do spend practically the whole game with Alyx
2. They've spent a lot of time improving the AI for her (I would also assume that some of those improvements would carry over to enemies and allies)

EDIT: Gah, beaten

Zombines!

Samon said:
I'm pretty sure they are a Breen experiment within the Citadel - it'd make sense given some of the info released. Infact given what PCZone had to say in their preview, it's pretty much a certified fact.

Unless I'm tragically wrong, but this screenshot agrees with me: http://steampowered.com/Steam/Marketing/May25.2006/img/Alyx_zombine.jpg

Yep, I'm now even more positive that they are an experiment performed by Breen within the Citadel. For instance, Alyx coins the name Zombine - so she's therefore never actually seen one in the 20 or so years the Combine have controlled the Earth. And now the Citadel is in meltdown, they, along with the Stalkers and such are free to escape into City 17.

I say; nice going Wallace!

new facial animations and dynamic scripted sequences! this is going to be good! I shall dance for that ^^

Loke said:
Nice teaser. Alyx got some nice moves, wish Gordon could learn those too. Please, Valve?

Bah, that'd be horrible! I like it just the way it is.

Then why is there a belt around his waist? I don't think PCGamer was lying about the whole dynamite thing.

I see no belt. From the words of Robin Walker "Grenade-wielding, zombified Combine soldiers. They use grenades, not dynamite. There's nothing more to it.
And not to mention "Al_grenade" next to "Al_zombines"

toekneebullard said:

U got that right.
Must say I love girls but eh I wanna play Gordon! not some shela.
But the grapics looks nice... even I think valve have done some nasty in the clips also.

Know that this is not gameplay...

Well we will see

alphadec said:
U got that right.
You will be playing as gordon. But you will be fighting alongside Alyx most of the time.

Some people may be annoyed by the script. But I am asking you, why getting scripted is not good? If it's scripted well, it will look no different with having a good AI. We can have some nice animations too if there are scripts. Why no scripts, man?

Scripting is fine :D it's only there to make the experience and immersion that much better.

Also, if you'd read the newspost before posting, you'd see that Valve's implemented new AI for Alyx and that Episode One is centered around her :)

Ennui said:
Also, if you'd read the newspost before posting, you'd see that Valve's implemented new AI for Alyx and that Episode One is centered around her :)

I did. Scripts + AI is perfect

alphadec said:
You are right. The only way to observe the tenderness and sexiness of Alyx is by acting as Gordon. Also, I want to be Gordon so that I can really sexually intercourse, with Alyx. And Valve does.

bbson_john said:
Also, I want to be Gordon so that I can really sexually intercourse, with Alyx. And Valve does.

Shhhhhh, thats suppose to be a hidden secret in HL:2 ep1.

I love the scripted scenes in Half-Life the more the better!

Alyx ftw :p. I'm kinda glad that a game finally came out where you spend a long time with an NPC. And the female lead isn't 38-22-38.

Valve are aiming to set a new benchmark with Episode 1 with respect to AI interactions, and Alyx is their flagship model for doing so. It's going to be very interesting to see the results.

99.vikram said:
Alyx ftw :p. I'm kinda glad that a game finally came out where you spend a long time with an NPC. And the female lead isn't 38-22-38.

Agreed. A message to all the anime fanboys : women have breasts. Get over it.

GotMilk said:
Agreed. A message to all the anime fanboys : women have breasts. Get over it.
What?

Shouldn't you be saying, that women don't have large breasts, like they do in Anime?

Did Alyx just knee that zombie in the nads? Sweet. The AI looks great and this game looks like it is going to be awesome.

I'm a little dissapointed, not because of the whole NPC interaction thing but they havnt shown us any screens or vids of the new enemies ;(

New synth > alyx kicking zombie in the face

Back