Steam offline.

kacation_man

Reaction score
I am going to be putting together two new computers for an upcoming lan party. My questions is can i run steam in off line mode under the same account name and still play lan? I would really much not like to buy two more copies of counter strike for two of my own extra computers. If i was going to be playing online i could understand buying more copies, but can i run it lan?

EDIT: I believe I have answered my own question by just now figuring out that lan does not work in off line mode. Oh well, guess im off to there store then!

you can still run the same account if its on lan; you cant on internet though.

D: then why didnt it work?! I log in, go to offline mode, start the dedicated server, start couterstrike, go to lan tab ( the server shows up ) but it freezes when it gets to "sending client info"

EDIT: I got half life 2 death match to work by doing this, however counterstrike doesnt want to work, it seem to keep freezing up at the sending client info screen, maybe I'll try and be more patient and give a little bit more time.

Try getting steam to delete the local content of the Dedicated Server and re-installing it.

CSS works on a LAN with only one account. You might need to be more patient. The "Sending client info" is often very slow for me, even with different accounts.

How are you connecting them?

what do you mean how am i connecting them? the other pc's? I will probably wire them strait to my router. I've got a router here for the other 4 pcs in my house, but these to extra will be wired right to the back of my router. If there isnt enough room back there ( havent looked in while ) i might bust out my switch.

So via a router then.

Do you have the same problem when playing online on the other PCs?

Is it just the clients which have the problem, or the host as well?

we'll Ive yet to try it on another pc becuase... well the extra have yet to be built, and I just havent gotten around to giving it a shot on my brother pc yet ( hes almost always on it ). I was just curious as to whether or not it works. And im running the steam source dedicated server. I will have to try more things then get back with the results.

When you said it freezes, how long does it stay that way?

untill i go in to the task manager and close it ( because i cant close it any other way ) It says " counter strike: source not responding "

Yes. It works.

Hosting the game should be fine, joining the game might slow down a bit.

It does work, but sending client info for me or my friend was always slow on a LAN.

thats weird why is that. and its slower with css ( yet to have really work at all ) then with hl2 dm

Back