Steam or not to Steam?

tomo13

Reaction score
I am new to HL but it is difficult not to get caught up in all the excitement.

Anyway, my question is that what are the advantages of playing via Steam?

Will this effect the performance of the game compared to to just playing it the normal way?

I ask these questions as I have encountered problems when playing CS.

Sorry if these are stupid questions or have been asked before but as I said I am new to this.

Can't wait though :borg:

The advantage is that you cannot play it without steam . . .

mstrum said:
The advantage is that you cannot play it without steam . . .

Haha that made me laugh (sorry I'm in a silly mood)

But it's true, WON has been disbanded so the only way you can play a Valve title online is with really hot water

To be specifically correct, you cannot play MP on official version servers (using the official network / gamefinder) without steam.

It would be better to go over to the steampowered forums and ask for help resolving your issues.

Am I correct in saying that once you register a game with Steam you have to play via them, even single player games.

I'll tell you a disadvantage:

I cant play with steam specifically because of the manner it retrieves the Master Server list. My college network blocks it. So since WON is shut down, I can no longer play any multiplayer Valve games.

Damn networks and Damn Valve for not caring to fix this problem. (I have asked)

Just call your college network admin, I'm sure he'd gladly open up that port so you can play CS :)

well.....i think what he wants to know, is if there is a difference between the Steam downloaded version, and the boxed retail version??

Well in essence NO! Theyre both identical, if you miscount the box and all the extra bumph that u will get with retail and CE. The steam version is just gonna be a donwload and play, where as for thos who want to wait like 6hours more, a retail version (something which is causing a lot of arguements lately in the courts) is available. Playing singleplayer wont NEED an internet connection. Currently steam can be played in offline mode, so things like CS and HL can be played, when its set in offline mode. This option is given to you if steam doesnt detect an internet connection when its booted. :afro:

Edit: what the hell, how many aerosmith songs can they put on Kerrang in 20minutes??? I mean theyre good...but cmon!! :naughty:

to add to what pple have said here... if u are interested in Valve's games for MP, then i suggest u get Steam as soon as u can because if u leave it to when HL2 is released, u will be putting extra pressure on the network and not to mention the updates u will be downloading would be alot slower than perhaps u will like :p

Steam rocks always worked for me. I like the friends system, layout, updates, login so you can play on any comp etc etc.

STEAM id fine and dandy, but if it weren't so popular, this whole crappiness with VALVE and VIvendi would not be an issue right now. According to the poll taken here at this forum, almost half of everyone wants to buy via STEAM. If I was Vivendi, and saw this, you bet i'd be jumping down VALVE's throat for a slice of the pie

cadaveca said:
STEAM id fine and dandy, but if it weren't so popular, this whole crappiness with VALVE and VIvendi would not be an issue right now. According to the poll taken here at this forum, almost half of everyone wants to buy via STEAM. If I was Vivendi, and saw this, you bet i'd be jumping down VALVE's throat for a slice of the pie

Yes, half of this forum, so half of the hardcore fanbase, but the avarage consumer will just buy it in the store, they hardly know Steam.

Steam is nice, all your games just a click away.
If the friends list is realy going to work, this would also be a great thing. Just hopping in servers by following your friends.

Back