Steam Payment Options!

Coolpot

Reaction score
In the past I've mailed Gabe about this, twice infact, and i never got a reply.
I basically put forward my thoughts on Steam's Payment Options.

Alot of people, dont want credit cards, and dont have a credit card. Who wants to pay interest on something like a game??! when you can just take money straight out of your account by switch/solo etc.

Also id say alot of gamers are aged between 16-18, these people are unable to get creditcards due to age, so surely alot of possible steam sales will be lost. All these people will have no choice but to goto local retailers, im quite surprised Valve dont consider this a problem.

Im 22, i dont have a credit card, i use Debit cards, Switch mainly ( a VERY common card in the UK ) I would buy through steam, if I had the option, but I dont.

I dont think it would be hard for valve to introduce some new payment options, it would be good for the community and with the increase in possible Steam Purchases, i belive good for Valve too.

I hope they listen.

i thought you could use debit/credit cards including solo and electron which are cards for youngsters?

I don't think you can use debit cards though it would be awesome if you could.

No you cant

Unfortunatly you cant, i tried to purchase sommat for a test before my original post to check it hadnt been added and there are no options for Debit cards :(

Update!: and now my steam wont load for some reason! it wants to send a error report to M/S! :((

i coulda swore someone asked one of the hl2.net staff the other day and they said solo worked???

I hope they keep this option...

Attachments

• payment options.gif
    payment options.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 1,916
Coolpot said:

Alot of people, dont want credit cards, and dont have a credit card. Who wants to pay interest on something like a game??! when you can just take money straight out of your account by switch/solo etc.

Also id say alot of gamers are aged between 16-18, these people are unable to get creditcards due to age, so surely alot of possible steam sales will be lost. All these people will have no choice but to goto local retailers, im quite surprised Valve dont consider this a problem.

Im 22, i dont have a credit card, i use Debit cards, Switch mainly ( a VERY common card in the UK ) I would buy through steam, if I had the option, but I dont.

I dont think it would be hard for valve to introduce some new payment options, it would be good for the community and with the increase in possible Steam Purchases, i belive good for Valve too.

I hope they listen.

bs...most people have CCs..ever found any us website that doesn't accept CC payment ? :E lol...get yourself a job and a regular payment and you get one ..baby :cat:

segobi said:
bs...most people have CCs..ever found any us website that doesn't accept CC payment ? :E lol...get yourself a job and a regular payment and you get one ..baby :cat:

:upstare: a stupid remark if ever I heard/read one!

I don't have a credit card either - just a debit card....does that make me unemployed??

segobi, dont be a retard, i have a job and i don't have a credit card. I don't like the idea of spending money I don't have. I think the lack of switch on steam is terrible :(

segobi said:
'

I don't have one either and have a regular job :p

But I use my debit card as a credit card with all my purchases so I really don't need one.

This is a good question though. Even though Valve is US based, it's pretty obvious to assume a good portion of Steam games bought will be from other countries with different payment options.

you can use a debit card. i bought CZ using my Abbey National Debit Card, worked fine. :) but yeah, too bad you can't use a switch :/

Hehe, was I the only one that found TechnoHippyChic's option amusing?

bank of scotland do visa debit cards, that would do the job, may swap over to them :) they do interest free overdrafts on student accounts too, woot!

My visa debit card works fine for anything requiring a credit card

Im not worried.

Dedalus said:
you can use a debit card. i bought CZ using my Abbey National Debit Card, worked fine. :) but yeah, too bad you can't use a switch :/
Dang!! That's awesome.

When you get to this screen what do you select?

That little blurb about fraud does not fill me with confidence...

Mastercard and Switch merged to form Maestro I believe.

Coolpot said:
Unfortunatly you cant, i tried to purchase sommat for a test before my original post to check it hadnt been added and there are no options for Debit cards :(

Update!: and now my steam wont load for some reason! it wants to send a error report to M/S! :((

I used my debit card to purchase CZ for my brother. So yeah they work, but they have to also be like a visa or mastercard.

Well, my switch card definately doesn't work. It doesn't have even space to put the entire number in.

TechnoHippyChic said:
I hope they keep this option...

How come you have Half-Life 2 under your games... I don't even have it under 'Coming soon' and I don't even have the Half-Life 2 media anymore after I reinstalled my PC... :(

i haven't heard of Visa's debit card...maybe they are coming here soon.. who knows.
but anyway i think the reason why Valve doesn't have debit card option in general is simply cause every country seems to have different banks.. so i'd imagine dealing with that would be a hassle.

with having Visa and Mastercard it really narrows things down for Valve...as for those who don't have a credit card, then begging ur parents is another option assuming they have a credit card.

t3chn0r said:
How come you have Half-Life 2 under your games... I don't even have it under 'Coming soon' and I don't even have the Half-Life 2 media anymore after I reinstalled my PC... :(

It's a joke image from about a year ago, from this thread (and "info from valve" post 246). Still cracks me up :)

dont forget the two little penguins got married and it's not switch any more it's maestro. you think they would except it though cos even in america they except maestro.

Coolpot said:

I hope they listen.

Just pay off your credit card BEFORE the due date and don't pay interrest...

TechnoHippyChic said:
It's a joke image from about a year ago, from this thread (and "info from valve" post 246). Still cracks me up :)

Heh, glad somebody still remembers that

Re: credit cards / debit cards - In the US most of our major banks issue debit cards that are also insured by Visa or Mastercard, so you can use them either way. But it would be nice if Steam accepted paypal or something, then anyone with a bank account could purchase.

Back