steam prices are great for us brits

Sinnsykt

Reaction score
silver edition for 33 quid, thats pretty damn good considering what you get for it

i'm happy.

Dude, it's still like 50-60 bucks, compared to Far Cry which was 40 at release.

Lol its gonna be 75 for the silver for me being Canadian and all, damned brits :D

yeas but in the uk normal games are £30, the steam silver edition is £33 pounds, i know you dont get box and stuff but you get dod:s, hl:s and valves old back catalogue, its pretty damn good.

God bless the strong british pound

Where do I collect my hat and sound track from?

Actually, I think it'll be closer to £39. The taxman has to take his 17.5%. Damnit.

they'll send it to you, you'l probably have to pay some sort of shipping fee or it might be included in the total, im not sure.
time will tell.....

I'd figure they would mail all the extra stuff to you. But damn... Christmas is going to be great this year.

Are we sure that we pay US price --> converted + (VAT?)? Usually $50 seems to work out at £50. If we pay the US price that would be a steal.

I love a cheap dollar :D

If I buy Silver, I'll be cheaper than retail, have a guaranteed right on DoD:S and HL:S and will be able to play CS:S tomorrow. Not to mention I would probably have to buy a DVD-rom on top of it.

Now all I need to do is steal a creditcard... :hmph:

Well, if it's such a steal- any of you British want to buy a poor Texan some HL2? :p

yea hl2 retailt costs about 27 quid in the uk. so £33 for hl2, dod:s, ccs and hl:s is not bad. i would like a hard copy tho :( not sure which way to turn, retail or steam

The sims 2 goes for 33 pounds off of play.com (and there prices are acctully damn low for this country) ... hmm The Sims 2 or the HL2 silver package .. hmm... hmmmmm.

$A is pretty weak at the moment but Bronze still works out way cheaper than i expect retail HL2 will in Australia. Silver works out the same as Doom3 cost.

btw, i thought i read that the $US90 for Gold includes shipping. there's a question about it in the info from Valve thread, but the response is very brief so a little unclear.

i dont think u pay vat. isnt that only when u bring somthing into the uk from america, or buy somthing in the uk? i dont think they charge vat on bits down a cable yet.

teh pound ownz j00!!

lol i jsut cancled my amazon order..lol 28.99 in all including postage...i only have to put up like another 20uid for the Gold Edition..which tbh, is gonnna rock lol, HAT!! i can now walk around the town, and everyone else will know im a hl2 g33k!! lmfao

Thats good for NZ also, Silver works out at about $85.00NZD and Gold at about $125.00NZD, retail in shop is $109.00 Standard and $149.00 Collectors Editions.

So all good.

someone shud email valve about the prices for ppl in the UK, are we getting it the US price or wot? is VAT an issue at all i mean were getting it over the net ffs. does anyone know what time that is goin to b here?

wow, the whole world is in this forum.

there are people here who have seen stuff in places of the world that i'll never see until i die.

briggsb2k said:
someone shud email valve about the prices for ppl in the UK, are we getting it the US price or wot? is VAT an issue at all i mean were getting it over the net ffs. does anyone know what time that is goin to b here?

well.. 11pm PSt aint it?? so thats like ur.....4am, seeming as the US is something like -5hours GMT. I think...

that has absolutly no relevance lol....i like the eagle idea tho.

Am i missing something? because it really doesnt clarify anything!

if is going to contact valve about UK prices, could they ask about VAT information. because im in the UK, but i live in Jersey, Channel Islands (part of the UK). but we get VAT taken off over here. So retail version would come down to about £25~ locally. will i get me VAT knocked off on steam? :p

save me £10 im happy :) cheap i know, but it's a few more beers :p

I think I'll hold off pre-ordering off of steam. I dont fancy paying £40 just to play cs:s early. Just incase hl:2 turns out average, I know it got good scores from the mag reviews but I dont trust pc mag reviews. I'll wait untill its been released, then see what the word around the campfire is.

When I've ordered packages from the US, I have been charged import duty and VAT by the shipping company (in this case, FedEx). However, whenever I've downloaded software from the US (such as spam inspector), I've only been charged a commission by my bank for the currency conversion.

When I ordered NAV2004, I was charged tax in US dollars. It didn't say what it was, but it was set at 17.5% so I'm assuming that is either a US VAT tax, or its Norton collecting VAT on behalf of UK customs?

Anyway, I would presume that the price will be + VAT and + commission (as you will be charged US dollars, not UK sterling).

matt-daly said:
if is going to contact valve about UK prices, could they ask about VAT information. because im in the UK, but i live in Jersey, Channel Islands (part of the UK). but we get VAT taken off over here. So retail version would come down to about £25~ locally. will i get me VAT knocked off on steam? :p

save me £10 im happy :) cheap i know, but it's a few more beers :p

That seems unlikely, whenever I've ordered things from Europe for my business, I have to provide them with a VAT registration number for them to consider not charging me VAT.

Whoooaaaa,
I just opened the box of my X800 XT Platinum to check for the voucher and i found not 1, not 2...... BUT 3!!! :rolling:

Damn thats sweet. :bounce:

Thanks to the retarded staff at ATI, I can flog 2 of them and upgrade to the gold package.

Makes me feel a little better for spending £320 on a graphics card.

:cheers: Cheers ATI

I cant speak for you guys in the UK but when i purchased cs-z (I know, i know) i paid only the purchase price in US dollars and a small commision for the bank. We have the GST in this country (Australia) which is essentialy the same as the vat, but i did not get charged for that, but then again i have perchased things on mail order before and not been charged GST.

By the way isnt $49.95 the standard price for a new release game at retail in the US? dont you guys feel a bit ripped off paying that for a game with no hard copy, distribution costs etc...? Here in Australia it works out to $70 which is way below the standard release price of $89.95, so for us at least its a good deal.

the prices are pretty normal for germans...well no they are good, the price for the silver edition is the normal pc-game price in germany

$h@dow said:
Whoooaaaa,
I just opened the box of my X800 XT Platinum to check for the voucher and i found not 1, not 2...... BUT 3!!! :rolling:

Damn thats sweet. :bounce:

Thanks to the retarded staff at ATI, I can flog 2 of them and upgrade to the gold package.

Makes me feel a little better for spending £320 on a graphics card.

:cheers: Cheers ATI

I think you should give me one :)

In this situation the taxman can go **** himself.

Yeah first time the UK economy has ever done anything good for me.

Definately good for us.

Valve can't add VAT, only a UK tax man can do that, and either they seize goods on the way in and damand VAT before they release them, or they have to rely on people declaring goods.

Either way, VAT is not applicable as its not solid goods. (Gold people may get charged on thier posted bits though...) so unless valve have agreed something with HM C&E beforehand, we get it VAT free (Unlike in the shops)

Official VAT website

Generally, goods and services are outside the scope of VAT if:
  • they're supplied by someone who isn't, and doesn't need to be, VAT registered
    [*]they're supplied outside the UK and Isle of Man
  • they're not supplied in the course of your business

We do not pay VAT on steam purchases, we do on retail products. Go steam...

according to the latest info from Valve, shipping cost will be added ontop of the purchase fee...

Back