Steam Updating

dream431ca

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right forum to post this in but is any one getting an update for steam called "Half-life Engine"? Just curious what that might be. Thanks.

Yeah, I have had that a few times. I couldn't tell ya. Maybe i'ts secretly upgrading the half-life engine to source ;)

I don't have anything to do with Steam. Can I make an account, instead of having to make one when I get Half-Life 2, or is it different and you don't need an account?

Half-Life Engine was/is updating because of the 2 listed changes for the HL (1) engine just released.

One being some kind of packet related error where they would be split (founded by some hard-to-remember-guys-name)

and the other had something to do with the HTTP thing...err...its on the stemapowered news site under Engine..thatll tell you =D

==

Dangerousdarrin: Yes you can make an account at any time you wish, though without any CD keys whatsoever all you will be able to download and play at the moment is Codename Gordon...and the parlor games that one can play using the "Friends" thing.

If you have a HL CD key you'll gain access to everything but Condition Zero and Deleted Scenes that is currently on Steam.

If you only have a CZ CD Key you will only gain access to: Condition Zero, Deleted Scenes and the upcoming CS:Source beta test.

Dramavian said:
Half-Life Engine was/is updating because of the 2 listed changes for the HL (1) engine just released.

One being some kind of packet related error where they would be split (founded by some hard-to-remember-guys-name)

and the other had something to do with the HTTP thing...err...its on the stemapowered news site under Engine..thatll tell you =D

==

Dangerousdarrin: Yes you can make an account at any time you wish, though without any CD keys whatsoever all you will be able to download and play at the moment is Codename Gordon...and the parlor games that one can play using the "Friends" thing.

If you have a HL CD key you'll gain access to everything but Condition Zero and Deleted Scenes that is currently on Steam.

If you only have a CZ CD Key you will only gain access to: Condition Zero, Deleted Scenes and the upcoming CS:Source beta test.

uhhh.. I uhh.. I don't know what you said but I sure do agree.. .... Ithink.. yeah..

Thanks alot Dramavian. I guess I'll go get Steam now, as I do have my old copy of Half-Life. I'll use that CD-key.

How to I get Steam? I went to steampowered.com and I downloaded the Steam Installer which was 600 kbs and it turns out I get an error message. Surely Steam can't only be 600 kb, can it?

Well, saying what the error message is would be a good start in solving your problem.

ENGINE:
* Addressed split packet issue (found by Luigi Auriemma)
* Added Referer: header to HTTP downloads (set to the game server's address:port pair)

None of those. It says "Could not initialize installation. File size expected: 706552, size returned 761177. A DLL initialize routine failed.

dangerousdarrin said:
None of those. It says "Could not initialize installation. File size expected: 706552, size returned 761177. A DLL initialize routine failed.

hmm.. where did u download from?
might wanna try downloading again in case it didn't download properly.

I downloaded it from the main site like 3 times. Turns out I found like the only other link for the install at FileFront and I downloaded it there, and it worked. I think the one you can download from the main site is corrupt.

dangerousdarrin said:
I downloaded it from the main site like 3 times. Turns out I found like the only other link for the install at FileFront and I downloaded it there, and it worked. I think the one you can download from the main site is corrupt.

nice to hear it worked out finally :)
u will need to be patient with Steam at first since its gonna be doing a lot of updating depending on how many Valve games u want installed.

So how does this work with Valve games installed? These things cost money... How am I going to get them? hehe...

dangerousdarrin said:
So how does this work with Valve games installed? These things cost money... How am I going to get them? hehe...

mods don't cost money as long as u have ur HL cdkey.
for HL2 its different.. mods may cost money.. but nobody knows yet.
if u want a HL mod, select it on the games list and right click.
there should be an option to download the content for it.

Back