Steam - Worlds Largest piece of Poo?

bleh dont feel like reading through all the post..

There will be some benifits from getting HL2 through STEAM

#1 Most likley it will be released a few days to maybe even a couple weeks before it is on store shelfs. This would be great for valve to do since this is what the intended software is for.

#2 Buying half life through STEAM will get you first hands on with other games most likley since you have a subscription to there games.

#3 You buy HL2, and within 5 minutes you can play(you download the game as you play)

Originally posted by Shockwave
bleh dont feel like reading through all the post..

There will be some benifits from getting HL2 through STEAM

#1 Most likley it will be released a few days to maybe even a couple weeks before it is on store shelfs. This would be great for valve to do since this is what the intended software is for.

I hope it's not like that. If it is, I hope they give you some coupon so that you can pick up a real version from the store when it comes out, at a deep discount of course.

I'm really not up for downloading as i play, sounds like a haven for bugs.

I don't mind downloading. It's just that I wanna own a game, not a subscription.

it works fine for Half life 1 via testing it through steam...People without at least a idsn wont be able to do it though.

In the future you need to take a membership in order to play via STEAM. it's true...

In the futere you need to pay to play onlinegames via STEAM.

I read that in a interview about STEAM beta....

STEAM will take ages to download and load... I just want to download my patches due a browser, not steam...

I bet STEAM is run by some jewish company, they want to make money of it....

Yes, that could offend people on these boards, plz edit it

sharp edit your post before you start a flame war plz...

Yup thats a bit below the belt m8 sort the post out.

Originally posted by sharp
In the future you need to take a membership in order to play via STEAM. it's true...

In the futere you need to pay to play onlinegames via STEAM.

I read that in a interview about STEAM beta....

STEAM will take ages to download and load... I just want to download my patches due a browser, not steam...

I bet STEAM is run by some jewish company, they want to make money of it....

"Jews are such tight arses!"

*sigh* Just because Jews are good with money people resent them for it. Although they will never admit that, that is the reason.

The flaming is starting. I cant help it.:flame:

Why offended?

Maybe it's true, it's just my opinion. Freedom of speech uh?

What if I say: run by a christian company or Islam company? of athiest company? Should that be offended 2?

I am not gonna edit my posts cause it aint racism or discrimination...

And plz go ontopic...

uhm...it's prejudgemental...

and yeah...I would advise you to edit no matter what name you put in front.

in any case it's unescesary and a recipe for flame war...

ps. you were the one going off topic with that statement.

Originally posted by sharp
Why offended?

Maybe it's true, it's just my opinion. Freedom of speech uh?

What if I say: run by a christian company or Islam company? of athiest company? Should that be offended 2?

I am not gonna edit my posts cause it aint racism or discrimination...

And plz go ontopic...

Im a Christian. Im not offended at your post but i think its supid when people use things like Jew as an insult.
Since this forum doesnt count as a public area, it is in fact Munros own private forum which he is letting us use, it doesnt have the same rules. Freedom of speech only exists as much as he allow it to. he could say that we arent allowed to talk about pigs and we would have to abide by it or be banned.

EDIT: On topic. Things like STEAM have potential and bad mouting them now is pointless. It is in the early stages and im sure in the future it will be a much more effecient way of getting games than CD. I suspect CD burners will be a lot cheaper, CD are already dirt cheap. You could download a game and burn it to CD.

I just want the box. I have 2 shelves full of boxes. Of course, now they're mostly gay and small, and the cd's aren't even in ****ing cases. I want cases!

I just like the whole "game buying expirience". I really hope the include some extra literature ala the administrator letter in the HL1 manual so I can read it during the ride home. :)

Perhaps it will include someof what has happened in between the two games. Although i doubt that because i tihnk htey mentioned something about not knowing what s gone on.

It will likely have some sort of summary of the previous one though.

Originally posted by Wesisapie
Has anyone tried it out?
I just did, and let me be the first to say, "not good".
Terrible in fact. It takes my bandwidth and uses it on whatever the hell is wants whenever it wants. It doesn't even tell you what, except "updating game". But then it finishes, and it starts updating all over again? It's eaten through about 500 megs so far, and it has no intention of stopping.

Drop your comments here.

This has been discused TOO MANY TIMES! Steam is still in beta before The Big Launch. In the Beta Valve has stated over and over that the games are always downloaded in full, while in the real release it will only download changes to the games . Now stop it and dwell about other things.

I have been on these forums for a while, haven't seen any posts about STEAM...

What im wondering is what if you dl a game from Steam. then what if it gets errased somehow, do you have to buy it again???!!!

Originally posted by BaNDiT
What im wondering is what if you dl a game from Steam. then what if it gets errased somehow, do you have to buy it again???!!!

No, I think it's like buying a subscription. Then you can dl it as many times as you want.

I've been beta testing steam since the day it was released. Here is what I know to be true. It may have at one point required downloading multiple times for testing bandwidth, however, it does not now. Some poeple have complained about it downloading over 2 gigs worth of mysterious programs when in fact they downloaded all the games that were available, which includes cs, hl, tf, etc. You can choose to only try the games you want, you don't have to download them all.

Yes it is buggy, and yes it needs a lot of work but that is why it is a beta. CS has gone through about 20 updates, all of which fix and create more bugs. You cannot expect a beta program to be anything more.

I personally will still buy games through a more substantial method. But steam will provide a reasonable alternative once it has been finalized, and it most likely will be a bit cheaper.

you are all forgetting a major reason to purchase thru steam and not the stores....

STEAM PURCHASED SOFTWARE WILL BE SIGNIFICANTLY CHEAPER THAN THE RETAIL VERSION!

that is the whole reason for steam in the first place. they want to **** over best buy, walmart, etc. because these companies charge a significant amount of money for the space the software takes up on the shelves. this markup consists of between 30% and 40% of the retail price of the software. i.e. a $50 game at best buy or comp USA only costs about $30 thru steam.

No steam IS NOT a subscription service and valve insists that that is not its purpose. Steam is a content delivery system ONLY. games made by other companies will also be sold via steam as well. If these games use a subsciption model (like evercrack, planetside, etc) it CAN be billed via steam. valve has said they have no plans on switching to a subscription model as this would be VERY detrimental to thier business. Valve is popular because of FREE STUFF like mods.

Also one more interesting point...

steam authentication is the replacement for WON (the world opponent network) therefore it is more than VERY likely that
HL2 will ship with steam integrated into it.
future versions of valve anti-cheat are dependant on steam as well.

FYI

And are you allowed to burn your programs to CD to back them up, and will that work properly? I don't want stuff lost then having to download it all over again cause of HDD crash/operator error.

If you can burn it to be just like the original, and then the program doesn't require steam to run, and steam is free (you just pay for the games) then that is the only way i will pay.

i would doubt that you can burn it to CDafter downloading. that would render the whole Safedisk Anti-Piriting obsolete. Unless of course microsoft gets it wet dream known as TCPA

http://www.notcpa.org/

DL'ing a game is too similar to Dl'ing music. you don't get the badass album art, the lyric sheets. i dunno must be generational thing.

Download as you play. So what happens when the game crashes? you have to redownload and since the first HL was buggy as hell and the second HL is using brand new technology it seems to me a safe bet that the first release will be buggy as hell.

Back