storyline theories: DONT READ IF YOU HAVEN"T FINISHED THE GAME

Choscura

Reaction score
since most of you who have played have already finished the game, i'd like to put out a few theories about whats going to happen and what HAS happened.

fist off, the basics: i think that gordon was asleep for roughly fifteen-twenty years.

second thing, i don't think city 17 was on earth. in the interest of logic, i'm going to jump around a bit here to explain:

on the last level, as you're in the containment chair being hauled up to the admin guy's office, you can hear him talking about 'interdimensional beings with neither time nor space affecting them, walking the galaxies' (thats not an exact quote,but thats the gist of it). given the intro, and the end sequence with g-man stopping time, i think that he's one of them. now, if thats true, and the other 'obvious' (g-man is a business man among his type) is true, i think its safe to say that gordon isn't the ONLY agent he has at his disposal. possibly alyx, her dad, barney, and the other scientist guy (with the pet head-crab). being an effectively 'all powerful' being, it would require little effort to alter the memories of these servants and insert them in a new location without them realizing anything: you'll notice that the black mesa incident was never fully explained, and the end of it never really closed. that case file is still open.

so, now that we've theoretically established that g-man is in control of this, and that alyx, gordon, and the whole motley black-mesa crew are in on it, we have to look for a motive.

my theory is that g-man was scared of the former black mesa director. if you'll recall the part where you're looking throught he field just as he gets on the elevator, just before he drops the gravity gun, you can here him saying something along the lines of 'no, no, no, this host body isn't strong enough'. that, to me, suggests that either something biological, or more likely interdimensional (like g-man) is inhabiting that mortal shell and has enough clout that g-man could be hurt-physically, if you can call it that, but more likely influentially or financially.

now, heres the part thats mostly guesswork: whats going to happen in HL3:

my theory is that the 'benefactors' of hl2 are going to come under fire from the greatest weapons at the disposal of g-man for threatening his bubble: gordon will be there, possibly also barney, alyx, and the scientists. this adventure will possibly be a way of 'wrapping up' what started in the first game. the zen? who knows. humans are an enterprising species, maybe we'll get to see human cities/establishments there. probably not, but perhaps.

thats all i have the mental bandwidth to think of right now. post what you think.

so why do you think that city 17 wa NOT on earth again?

City 17 is in Europe somewhere.....Gordon freeman was in a slow time warp (stasis) and was "awoken" by the G-man. The combine are an alien race that for the most part find a civilization, take it over, and genetically produce "super soldiers" by mixing themselves with the superiors in the race they destroy. The Combine came to earth because of the warp gordon went through to get to Xen. So they came to Earth and made Dr. Breen in charge mainly because they thought he was the superior leader.......
There is a link of the main page of this site with all this info in it....

oh, right. i think it's not earth because black mesa was in the DESERT. the lab that you get to after the airboat level is called 'black mesa east'. seems like a bit of a large transition, wouldn't you say?

Black Mesa was in Arizona im pretty sure....and plus, in Eli's lab, you can see a bulletin board that shows newspaper clips saying "Earth Surrenders" and it was a 7 hour war....

Poor baby Jesus, why won't anyone just give him a chance!

He said "A host body is out of the question" I think, I do agree about the G-man effecting everyone, not just Gordon. :|

there is so much about the whole timelline and history of what happened between the'Black Mesa' incident and City 17 that we dont know .and we are purposely not being told because eventually HL3 will come out.It is actually possible that city 17 isnt on earth ...and the newspaper clippings could all be false...IT really could all be a big conspiracy set about by some weird Government faction that wants to test the meddle of certain individuals. but Who knows ....Im sure in a few years time all the answers will be laid out before us....
Oh well :)

Valve has said that the time between HL1 and 2 is about 10 years. And they also said that "whole game will be set on Earth" when hyping HL2 in E3 or something. And Breen says, like previously mentioned in this thread, "A host body is out of the question". So sorry, nice thinking, but you are wrong.

Edit: and for fcks sake, its Xen not "Zen".

I don't think we'll see any familiar 'friendly' characters in Half Life 3 apart from the G-Man. There may be very few, if any other human characters in it.

I think HL3 will be Gordon fighting the Combine on a new planet, plus a squad of localised 'troops'. It will all end with a final battle against the Supreme Combine Advisor and Gordon, under the G-Mans duresse will put an end to the Combine once and for all.

Choscura said:
oh, right. i think it's not earth because black mesa was in the DESERT. the lab that you get to after the airboat level is called 'black mesa east'. seems like a bit of a large transition, wouldn't you say?

It's just a bloody name, named after Black Mesa...

Hehe, I failed to notice the stupidity of the original poster.

Hahahaha, Black mesa, east..haha *ghasp*, desert. HAHAHAHA *ghasping for breath again* Transition to fast, can't be on haha earth HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
*wipes tear*

to my credit, that guess was based on an article i read in PCG a while back.

Back