Strange fading models problem

justmatt

Reaction score
Okay. I play Garry's mod at work during downtime. The machine is great, but the video card is only an MX 4000. I can play HL2, HL2DM and CSS just fine at 800x600 and low details. It looks surprisingly decent.

My problem is that when I play Garry's mod here, certain models fade out of view when you get a certain distance away. The weird thing is, not all of them fade out, and some fade out later than others.

Here's a screen:

gmconstruct00024dz.jpg

I can't seem to find a cvar that will fix this if there is one. It doesn't do this in any of the other source games I play on this machine. It's very annoying. Any help is appreciated!

I tried to post this at the Garry's mod forum, but those idiots ran of out bandwidth or something.

My little bro had the same problem playing on his laptop, I don't remember what video card, but when he updated his drivers, the problem was solved :)

Problem is, when I update the drivers, the game doesn't run ;-)

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure this isn't a driver issue. If it were a driver issue, wouldn't it also be doing this in HL2, CSS and HL2DM??

make sure you uninstall old drivers before installing new ones

Just thought I'd update. I've tried a ton of things and nothing is working. I think it's probably just that the card itself is crap.

Again I come to the rescue with a similar problem and way to fix it. Its actually, I thought at first, something inherit to gmod itself. I don't know if this is true or not. Regardless, do not fear, there is a mod that removes this silly fading. Its called Better Visuals 2.

http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showthread.php?t=43344

It not only removes fade, but adds grass, some better lighting, and basically makes gmod look better. Best off, its not that taxing on memory (even the grass) because most of the stuff is either tweaking file settings, or adding in textures but not models. Get it. Its awesome, and if your going to be a construtor of cannons and catapults and want to see where the flip your thing landed, you NEED it.

Back