Stress test how-to

F

Fraludio

Any of you knows how to install the stress test? I want to know if my system will work well in HL2. I have downloaded the cs:source. but don't have a clue on how to install the test.

I only want to run the stress test, I don't want to play cs:source, only benchmark my pc.

Welcome to the forums.

The Video Stress Test is integrated into Counter-Strike: Source.

You need to load up Counter-Strike: Source, you can then play around with the advanced graphics options, then select Video Stress Test from the menu.

I'd recommend having a few games of CS:S, whether you like it or not, it's probably the better overall way of testing your PC for Half-Life 2.

Chris_D said:
Welcome to the forums.

The Video Stress Test is integrated into Counter-Strike: Source.

You need to load up Counter-Strike: Source, you can then play around with the advanced graphics options, then select Video Stress Test from the menu.

I'd recommend having a few games of CS:S, whether you like it or not, it's probably the better overall way of testing your PC for Half-Life 2.

I know that way of testing it, but i don't own a valid cd-key. I'm thinking of buying HL2 when it comes out, but i don't want to buy it without knowing if it will run fine. I know there is a guide to install cs:s and make the test, but don't know where to find it.

I don't want to play CS because i don't like the game, and i'd have to play on non-official servers (and i don't want to do that).

I'm afraid you won't find any help here then.
We don't support illegal acts such as pirated software - which is what you must be using if you haven't got a valid CD-key. Sorry.

However, if you post your system specs we'll give you a rough idea of what kinda graphical quality and performance you'll be seeing.

Chris_D said:
I'm afraid you won't find any help here then.
We don't support illegal acts such as pirated software - which is what you must be using if you haven't got a valid CD-key. Sorry.

However, if you post your system specs we'll give you a rough idea of what kinda graphical quality and performance you'll be seeing.

Sorry if it's illegal, didn't want to play "free", only test.

My specs are:

Athlon Xp 2400+
768 MB DDR 333
Ati Radeon 9500 @ 395/620 (256 bits mems)
Winxp
2x120GB HDD
Sb Live 5.1

If it helps you, i can say I scored 13500 in 3dmark 2001 and 4090 in 3dmark 2003.

Ahh well, that's understandable really. Valve should hopefully release the VST to everyone soon.

That Radeon 9500 - I take it it's been overclocked... aren't those speeds equivalent to a 9800 PRO or something?

Chris_D said:
Ahh well, that's understandable really. Valve should hopefully release the VST to everyone soon.

That Radeon 9500 - I take it it's been overclocked... aren't those speeds equivalent to a 9800 PRO or something?

No, it scores like a 9600xt, a bit better sometimes (in games with LOTS of shaders), and a bit worse in dx7 games.

I have similar specs:

Athlon 2600
Radeon 9600 Pro
512MB RAM

And I can run the stress test at full detail, max AA and AF on 1024x768, and get an average of 27fps. In CS:Source, my fps can jump from 15-40fps depending on on-screen detail. I personally think this is a very playable framerate, especially for the amount of detail I'm getting in return.

Hope that helps somewhat. :)

i have a radeon 9600XT 128mb, 512 mb ram, pentium 4 3,0 gHz

i have about 40-50 fps on the VST with everything on high, reflection on all, trillinair filtering and no aa on a resolution of 1280x960

I understand that the 9600XT scores a bit like the 9800 non pro - is that accurate?

If so then I play CS:S at 1024x768, all details on full, AFx16, no AA.
I have a 9800np with 768MB RAM and a 2.66GHz Pentium 4. I get an average of 30fps in game (still very playable) and an average of 60fps on the VST.

Fraludio said:
Sorry if it's illegal, didn't want to play "free", only test.

My specs are:

Athlon Xp 2400+
768 MB DDR 333
Ati Radeon 9500 @ 395/620 (256 bits mems)
Winxp
2x120GB HDD
Sb Live 5.1

If it helps you, i can say I scored 13500 in 3dmark 2001 and 4090 in 3dmark 2003.
In Half Life 2 I'd probably say medium detail at 8x6.

DarkSonic said:
In Half Life 2 I'd probably say medium detail at 8x6.

Medium detail? People is getting good fps at 1280 FULL detail with a 9600xt, and (as I said), in games that use shaders mine scores around or above 9600xt, so I don't understand that you say medium detail an 800x600.

Fraludio said:
No, it scores like a 9600xt, a bit better sometimes

no it doesn't you twit, I work constantly with hardware. 9600XT's shaders support more advance DX9 shaders, Also runs them faster. your 9500 may run DX 8.1 shaders quicker (maybe) but not 9.0's, which HL2 is based on. so Medium detail at 8x6 is about right with full precision PS 2.0, if you want higher, your going to have to run it in DX 8.1.

Your the one asking about your hardware, i suggest your underestimate your hardware, if your over estimate it you will be let down.

Fraludio said:
Any of you knows how to install the stress test? I want to know if my system will work well in HL2. I have downloaded the cs:source. but don't have a clue on how to install the test.

I only want to run the stress test, I don't want to play cs:source, only benchmark my pc.

If this PC:

P3 700Mhz
9600XT
512MB RAM
Low settings, no AA/no AF.

Can run CS:S, then you can run it. :)

Fraludio said:
Medium detail? People is getting good fps at 1280 FULL detail with a 9600xt, and (as I said), in games that use shaders mine scores around or above 9600xt, so I don't understand that you say medium detail an 800x600.
Now what are you talking about here? Counter Strike Source? Also, what is your definition of "good fps?" Mine is 50 and above. I get that in CS:S with full detail and 10x7. Also, I say 8x6 with medium because CS:S is NOT HALF LIFE 2! Half life 2 is going to require a lot more power than CS:S. Some people at these boards can't seem to realize that.

DarkSonic said:
Now what are you talking about here? Counter Strike Source? Also, what is your definition of "good fps?" Mine is 50 and above. I get that in CS:S with full detail and 10x7. Also, I say 8x6 with medium because CS:S is NOT HALF LIFE 2! Half life 2 is going to require a lot more power than CS:S. Some people at these boards can't seem to realize that.

Good fps for me is around 30, don't need more. I supose that VST is here to show how pc's will perform in hl2, not in cs:s. I'm not interested in CS:S, basically I hate it.

Back