Strider Mod 4 under development

TheQuartz

Reaction score
Hi everybody.

After one year , Pilotable Strider Mod 4 is under development, with new vehicles and new features. I will release it as soon as possible.

Thanks everybody.

i only remember playing mod 1 - it was alright, the limitations of the maps I suppose was the biggest obstacle
being deathmatch killed it though - team based 7 hour war battles would have made it clean up as a massive success
tanks vs striders
apaches vs gunships

pity :|

Dear god its been sometime since i last saw you, i remember you well quartz. The strider mod was good fun. What are we likely to expect? Striders, helicopter, gunships, apc and antlion guards were the last pilotable things IIRC? Whats your ideas and developments this time?

it has a long time hasn't it - I remember it being one of the first mods out with Plan of Attack months and months ago
haven't heard a thing since

Hectic Glenn said:
Dear god its been sometime since i last saw you, i remember you well quartz. The strider mod was good fun. What are we likely to expect? Striders, helicopter, gunships, apc and antlion guards were the last pilotable things IIRC? Whats your ideas and developments this time?

Hi Hectic !. Thanks. Sorry for the wait. I stopped Mod development for personal reasons, but now i can return another time and continue with it.

I expect to release a new version this summer, with new vehicles, new gamemodes and also servers to play.

[hopeful look]7 hour war set team based vehicle+infantry balanced maps? :)[/hopeful look]

john3571000 said:
[hopeful look]7 hour war set team based vehicle+infantry balanced maps? :)[/hopeful look]

I hope. We're looking for mappers to this new version.

TheQuartz said:
I hope you get my meaning
I'm thinking of a 7 hour war Battlefield 2 or Day of Defeat+vehicles .....NOT more deathmatch
If you can deliver you will be a huge success - good luck either way

Don't worry, we are planning to add new gamemodes into this mod. Like Assault mode or CTF mode. You can tell me any idea to stridermod(at) thequartz.com

We want to do a mod with all the features that people wants.

you have to do a MP and SP 7 hour war tho, you will be a god among us if you pull it off :p

EDIT:
I have more posts than you :O

TheQuartz said:
Don't worry, we are planning to add new gamemodes into this mod. Like Assault mode or CTF mode. You can tell me any idea to stridermod(at) thequartz.com

We want to do a mod with all the features that people wants.
That is where your mod will die :(

You focus on one thing and make it perfect - that should be your only goal

Personnally I believe that the most lacking niche in hl2 modding is what I mentioned above, I've been saying it since hl2 came out
So forget deathmatch, forget team deathmatch, forget CTF team deathmatch, forget assault, forget complicated objective based maps - what you need to make is Day of Defeat style conquest...with striders!!! If that isnt your intention...well...we all know about the countless halflife mods that simply die quietly from lack of interest and I'd hate to see that happen to anyone for lack of foresight or vision

What's your idea?. Tell me or email me. Now is the moment, we're starting the development of the fourth version of Strider Mod.

me?
very simple
- 7 hour war setting, so all you need to do is import CSS models or make new modern soldier models and vehicles (1 tank, 1 apache gunship and 1 humvee alike is all that is needed) and fight the existing combine models
- design maps with a central hub and surrounding strategic control points - take your cues from Battlefield 2 and day of defeat maps
- team based 4 man squads warfare (where Day of Defeat fails) - download the Plan of Attack source code to see how they implemented teamwork as a priority. the mod itself was poor but no game in existance has come close to how brilliantly they implemented teamwork.
- vehicles balanced against infantry so that 2 infantry equal one vehicle in value/power. (ie only 2 infantry working together will take down a strider, one alone is doomed)

i could rant on for hours if you wanted to read it lol so I'll stop now :D

All ideas are welcome. Thanks for all. Use this thread to tell me any idea of gamemode, vehicles, weapons or models or maps.

Thanks !!!

TheQuartz said:
Need anyone? I'd join if there are slots open.

EDIT-Just noticed your above post. :p

I'll give you an email.

We also need someone who helps us with textures and models. Please email me or send me a PM. Thanks

Sorry, Valve says NO to us with ministrider model from episode 1 CGF. We will unlock ministrider when episode 2 is released and they allow Mod developers to use it.

aww no ministrider :( oh well, i loved the first version of this when u could drive striders in SP. Cant wait for this one to pop up

Dude I just checked your website - Strider King gamemode sounds awesome :thumbs:
Concentrate on making that all it can be and forget about deathmatch completely and you will be onto a winner
Keep up the great work

lol that was awesome - give d0g a roller ball to fling at enemies that explodes on impact :D

don't forget the infantry player in all this either Quartz, design the maps with plenty of sheltered areas for contesting in the centre of the map with the vehicles dominating and contesting the pereiphery.
think of de_dust2 - design the maps with the same conventions - a central path for infantry to contest with the flank paths to be contested by the vehicles
design all the maps with that design convention with an eye on making all spawnpoints for players on top of or inside buildings to prevent spawn camping
keep up the great work

I can't wait for the mod to be released!

Riding striders? Cool! And does striders have a bathroom prison like the one which have in one of the tripods in Scary Movie 4?

It's a joke question, hehehehe. I hope ya don't get angry.

Back