Strider question/possibility

r1y23

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the striders are machines driven by the combine, machines run by computer, or aliens?

and if they are driven do you think gorden could drive them?

My guess is combine driven

Gordan most likely wont drive one,

If we can, it would be super awesome

That'd be kinda stupid if they weren't droids. They look more like robots.

i was just wondering cause id love to drive one and stab people with the feet and shoot that cool laser.

r1y23 said:
i was just wondering cause id love to drive one and stab people with the feet and shoot that cool laser.

Yeah, human feet arent really good stabbing weapons.

fingers are good poking weapons!

combine guard "MY EYE! I CANT BELIEVE YOU POKED ME IN THE EYE! AHHHHH!"

any more posts.
jeeze i thought this would be more popular

r1y23 said:
any more posts.
jeeze i thought this would be more popular

It lacks substance.

They look organic to me, same goes for the gunship.

I think they smell.

Like a stench that MUST be organic...why else would you run from them? ...oh...right...sorry.

Well just remember as valve has said quite a bit if its not in the game it can be modded in.

In the videos, they seem indestructible, or pretty damn tough, because not one in the videos gets destroyed.

ya they do look tough
they can handle at least 3 or 4 rpg's
but if you found an empty one...

I remember Gabe saying that striders were destroyable AND pilotable.

I forgot where though. I'm SURE of it.

bam23 said:

I remember IGN or Gamespy or some other big site saying that they took a strider down during a playtest...

um.... find it and get a link or i wont believe it.

bam23 said:

Yes I remember this. I don't have a source, but they said they were piloting the striders just for fun. Can't wait to see it modded in somewhere.

BRODIEMAN2k4 said:
My guess is combine driven

Gordan most likely wont drive one,

If we can, it would be super awesome

You can mod it :p

My guess is that they are combine driven, because of their colors, and the fact that they patrol the streets of City 17 as do the combine gunships.

What city 17??? There is no City 17!!! I mean, what's the perfect way to make us look away from the real story? A FAKE story!!!
Just speculating... Probablya bit oftopic though...

Well, I'm with Samon. They have musculature, hairs and an organic-looking carapce, but also hinge joints and rivets/bolts. Biomech.

I doubt there's a pilot, the old rumour that they were drivable was a certain magazine's misinterpretation of a statement by VALVe saying that they used a re-coded one to test the vehicle system for legged vehicles...

Well you know what I think? Maybe the combine do what happened in aliens the movie? Try experiments on the aliens, like mix them with machines so they have a level of control, and well you got the end results like the strider and that funky hover craft thing. Maybe the combine themselves are half human half alien. Don't think thats too bad a speculation.

I don't think they have a driver inside, I know valve said they could be driven, that doesn't mean they are piloted in the game by anyone or anything. The striders are a big reason for my wanting Half-life 2.

I think of the the Strider as a "self-contained biomechanical AI", as with the alien gunship too.

ya they do look tough
they can handle at least 3 or 4 rpg's

Shoot them in the legs.. and it's over...

What city 17??? There is no City 17!!! I mean, what's the perfect way to make us look away from the real story? A FAKE story!!!

As Brian Damage said, they aren't drivable, but Valve created one that was drivable just for them to mess around in. They won't be drivable in the game.

if you could drive em, i'd say primary attack would have to be placing a leg where you're looking, and secondary that lazer.

That way you can stab people and make sure u don't step on cars and topple....

Some guys who played HL2 at valve 'killed' a strider, Here's how;
You apparently tie its legs up in some way (there's the chance of ropes in the game cuz of the telephone lines blowing in wind, so maybe using a rope? who knows (well they do lol)

The weakness should be in the legs. Tossing something heavy at the legs with the manipulator should do some damage.

I'm so proud of myself, I read the first line of the spoiler and then i stopped! I have self control! Wohoo!!!

Back