Striders are apparently serious.

G

gesto21

Anybody really pay attention to how much frickin' firepower is delivered to a single strider in the video, and it shows no sign of slowing down? A near-constant barage of machine gun fire from gordon and his allies, coupled with a maelstrom of rocket hits (I counted 13), and the thing casually mows down everyone in the courtyard and continues about its way. Can they be stopped? Are you just supposed to run your ass off like a pansie and hide when you hear somebody yell, "STRIIIIII-DERRRRR!"? Or are they just like, the toughest enemy ever?

I'll be the only person trying to kill a strider with soda cans via the manipulator

BEAT THAT! :)

:rolleyes: well they would not stick something in 20 feet tall and have it topple over from just a few rocket + machine gun rounds. Its like the Big blue guy in half life one. something you run from.... unless you have a bomb strike map around :thumbs:

It won't be that much of an issue, i'll just try to find a way to get on top of the beast, ride it like a friggin bull.

I wanted to see the strider ragdoll.. I cried when I didn't get to see it die :( lol

Shuzer said:
I wanted to see the strider ragdoll.. I cried when I didn't get to see it die :( lol
When it ragdolls, it's going to fall on its knees first.

It'll also probably shake the ground.

And demolish buildings.

And crush you if your lucky enough.

I'm sure it's not possible to kill it with fire power, there is probably some sort of objective or timed objective you have to complete to bring it down.

Maybe you've got to take them down AT-AT style... wrap their legs up or trip them lol

:| The only way to defeat the strider is to trip it, DUH! Later on in the game, Gordon acquires a gun that shoots out a rope.

Of course this is only a wish :frown:

Shuzer said:
I'll be the only person trying to kill a strider with soda cans via the manipulator

pfft amatures

i'll bring down its self esteam by a barage of insults and snide, cruel coments behind its back forcing it to go suicidal. :|

It can only be defeated with the new l33t speak gun that fires a stream of unintelligble invective.

Oh...so only CS players have any chance at saving us from the wrath of striders?

I thought the coolest part was when it had been shot a heap and it stooped down really low and scrambled away from the fight. Perhaps it was almost dead.

I'm going to work my way up to the top of a building, jump on the mofo, and ride like it a insane bull whilst filling it's cranial cavity with lead.

i reckon you should be able to blow it's legs off so it falls over, that'd be cool. but if you pack a gauss gun and a rocket launcher, you'd take it down fairly easily.

It would be cool to see striders fight against one of those bid blue guys from HL1, but I think the strider will win. Maybe 1000 headcrabs could kill a strider.

If you think about it the legs are probably the hardest target to hit on a strider. I'm betting 2 or 3 well aimed rockets can take down a strider.

nicrd said:
It would be cool to see striders fight against one of those bid blue guys from HL1, but I think the strider will win. Maybe 1000 headcrabs could kill a strider.

Hmm Will be fun with the engine to make levels just to watch the AI fight with each other like in half life, I loved making grunts etc fight against alines/the barneys etc.

Good fun.

Wonder if the Ai is set up in it this time so that if say one combine guard "accidently" shoots at his friends while trying to hit you, and does it enough times, if they fight against each other...

Shuzer said:

You know, you might actually be on the right track if you shook up the soda cans first... :rolling:

gesto21 said:
Maybe you've got to take them down AT-AT style... wrap their legs up or trip them lol

LMAO. Maybe smash the top of it with two logs. Personally I think you have to shoot it right in its peehole gun. Then it screams out and dies.

I'm just going to show him Bill Gates............ He will instantly bow to his picture so I then can casually unplug his power cords and turn him into the tallest, most expensive dancing, singing boom box ever!!! HAHAHA

Question still remains after two E3's whether we can kill the damn thing. I would guess that the Strider's are bulletproof but are they machine or alien or both (Combine?). They would be too hard to trip with three legs but getting on the back of one and blowing a hole in it's head then chucking a grenade in Starship Troopers style would be sick.

On a serious note.

You can probably kill them using that hand-held Strider weapon seen in the video where he is in the attic and guys come up behind him. Look at the effect of the bodies with the particles and how they float a little then disintegrate. The big strider gun does the same thing... So I'm guessing you can do some AI tricks with them to kill them :)

My guess is that, for one, you can kill them with the Irifle, the vaporizing weapon that Gordon used when battling the Combine in that abandoned house in the Vivendi booth video. After all, it's the same weapon the Strider uses. Fight fire with fire, right?

Edit: Iced_Eagle beat me to it by a few seconds; kudos! :E

I think you have to hit it in the joints to knock it down or something to that effect.

I don't think shooting it is the method of choice for killing one, but it will probably die if you hit it enough. Kind of like the Gargantuas in HL1, they would go down if you really hammered them but you were meant to use the electricity or the airstrike map.

actually, the big blue gargantuas guys could be killed, i took one down using 'nades and det packs

ElFuhrer said:
Yeah, I've killed the second one on Xen numerous times.

wow, cool. i never knew you could kill 'em. i just ran like crazy :D

I think the only way to beat them is to knock them down - they won't have any "HP" which, when it reaches zero it explodes, rather it's defeated when it's fallen to the ground and it can't get up :).

Much like the autoguns in Half Life 2.

So yea.... when it raises it's leg to walk/stab someone, rocket laucnher to the knee = buckle over!

I think they can be killed with just firepower. Like someone else pointed out, one of them kinda ducked and crawled away from the fight after it took a bunch of damage, like it was about to die, or seriously injured

Scapegoat said:
I think the only way to beat them is to knock them down - they won't have any "HP" which, when it reaches zero it explodes, rather it's defeated when it's fallen to the ground and it can't get up :).

Much like the autoguns in Half Life 2.

So yea.... when it raises it's leg to walk/stab someone, rocket laucnher to the knee = buckle over!

In edition to your theory, I think that it would be cool if they did have a HP meter but when it reaches zero it doesn't explode or die; it just goes haywire.
You've knocked "something" loose!
It would look so funny if one of those things went crazy and started moving like bad, old Disney animatronics.

Moto-x_Pat said:
I think you have to hit it in the joints to knock it down or something to that effect.
Hey guys, just joined the forums. Love it here already. :cheers:

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Moto-X is right. Obviously the striders depend on their long legs, and if you take a look at their "knee-joints", it seems to be a weak spot. I'd be willing to bet you've got to hit 'em there to take them down.

Just my .02, though.

dig a hole in the ground or make one with a lot of grenade explosions. then lure his leg in there. hah. stupid strider.

hl2 does have deformable terrain, right?

ship said:
Hey guys, just joined the forums. Love it here already. :cheers:

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Moto-X is right. Obviously the striders depend on their long legs, and if you take a look at their "knee-joints", it seems to be a weak spot. I'd be willing to bet you've got to hit 'em there to take them down.

Just my .02, though.

Welcome to the forums! :) :cheers:

I still want to see a strider ragdoll..

freeorangeshoes said:
dig a hole in the ground or make one with a lot of grenade explosions. then lure his leg in there. hah. stupid strider.

I believe the engine supports it, but HL2 doesn't utilize it, can't remember exactly though
If there is deformable terrain, I'd imagine it like FC, very few surfaces are deformable

freeorangeshoes said:

No. It isn't.

i think ill just use a manipulator and a car. right when he lifts one leg up to move, i hit the other one with the car. so he only balancing with one leg making him fall...and if that dont work...

im probally dead lol.

what if the striders moved 50x faster....and they were chasing you on the coast while your driving a buggy. that would be scary as hell. :x

Back