Striders: Creature, robot, biomech?

now it is:

gordon VS Xen and combine
combine VS gordon and Xen
Xen VS gordon and combine

everybody VS everybody
:)

Okay, this is what bugging me. Are the Aliens and The Combine at war to? Are there THREE factions? It seem like it. And this can really drive the story on.
But what about the flying "thing"? The seem like biomechs to me, partly flesh, partly machine.

I don't know if it's been said already, but here's my take. Unlike the army of Xen, where they have mainly infrantry and some aircraft, (and slaves, whom i surmise begin their gestation as head crabs), the forces of the combine are more like a Terrestrial Army. You have the Combine Humanoid infrantry (who are either genetically created from scratch, or former humans who've had their nervous system taken over), and you have both the close air support in the form of the Manitee-like Scanners and ground infrantry support (a function generally served by armor) in the form of the Striders. As for the politics, i'm willing to bet that the Xen military and the Human military are allied against the Combine, seeing how the Combine combines the best of both forces. Its units are bio-mechanized like Xen forces, and their set up like a modern military, like the Human forces.

Originally posted by EVIL
can be farfetched. and i never sait that they ere positive the same symbol.. as i explained i looked @ the pictures for 2 seconds and i notised some basic resemblances i just said they where they looked the same. i did not said that i am 100% convinced they where the same.

why do you keep twisting my words?

I'm the one saying they're possibly the same...you said that they might be different...

waoh! Evil's post is convincing....
EDIT: yay i got the fourth page!

I dont get what this argument is about. For all intents and purposes, the symbol on the strider is definatelly a combine symbol (even though it looks a little different).

The Combine seen to posses an army of geneticly altered beings and/or biomechs.
But the Xen then? If we agree that the Strider and hoovercraft are a part of the Combine, then for all we know, the Xen seem to have only groundforces, like the ant lion and headcrab. What name does the big mosnter have, the one that can been seen smashing Gordon like a ball in the part of the video where he takes help from the ant lions? And are the Combine and the Xen really allied. They sure don't seem allied in the ant lion part of the movie. And that big wall in City17, is that Combine or Xen?
There must be even bigger monsters like that one.
I wonder what sort of bosses we might be seeing.
There's tons and tons of questions that need answering.
I want that game!

(sorry for my sometimes bad spelling)

Vortigorns (the electrical 1s) are your allies in HL2 btw.... alliegences WILL change in HL2..... watch your back :)

Originally posted by mrBadger
Vortigorns (the electrical 1s) are your allies in HL2 btw.... alliegences WILL change in HL2..... watch your back :)

I wonder who made them..and how do they look?
Oh, yes. Another enemy I just remember is the flying little things with a saw, those seen chasing Gordon in the movie and he fights one of the with the crowbar. Are they the Vortigorns just not yet turned to Gordons side?
They always tend to do. I have a strong feeling that a you'll get a very unexpected ally.

Edit: What do those fighting alongside Gordon (Barney and the other humans) called? Are they only called The Resistance?

OK prince off space.. lets get into our tima machine and get back to the first page of posting in THIS thread.

I said:
Yeah.. it looks like tis the same symbol indeed. only the one on the strider is a inverted (negative) version from the one on the soldier's back. and the fleying helicopter creature dident attacked the combine soldiers.. only you so that means that they are the same. (troops are in controll by the combine IMO)

and you said:
no it isn't...

this very unclear post posted by YOU gives me the ideah that you didnt agreed on the part off the symbol being the SAME.. true?

no...I didn't agree with you on the negative part!!!! see you're doing it again! >:O ..... :p

oh yeah lets take another trip down memory-lane:

nah...it's ok...not your fault that the forum does that.

btw. it's still not inverted/negative...and I can prove it

this should pretty much have hinted what it was that I didn't agree with....

MAN!! HINTED.. if you would have made your first post alot more clearer then we wouldnt had this conversation to begin with!

trust me it was clear enough! your fullstops are horrible! :p

what wasn't clear about it man!???

Why are they dirty or sometihng?

Anyway. Negative doesn't always have to mean exact opposite in colour. It can just mean that dark is light and light its dark. So the dark bits on the symbol on the soldier become light on the strider. None of this matter, really it doesn't. Why are you even having this argument?

you am quiting this stuff because I am sure will kill me in the end. I dont care anymore I you are right or I am right. lets end this unagreement right now. we both are right and we both are wrong.

if we dont stopp this then my children will hate yours visa versa and we are gettign a romeo and juliet sitation about one off our grandchildren falling in love etc.. en they will get killes

so bye!

Originally posted by Farrowlesparrow

Anyway. Negative doesn't always have to mean exact opposite in colour. It can just mean that dark is light and light its dark. So the dark bits on the symbol on the soldier become light on the strider.

according to what? you're own little dictionary or something? :p

negative does mean exact opposite colours...the lights and darks parts is only true if you're talking about Grey scale images.

the definition of a colour negative(from dictionary): A colour negative recreates the motif's colours in their complementary colours

and as I also explained the...when talking colours just because black is closer to the red, it doesn't mean that is what it replaces on the strider...what matters though is what is the painted part and what is the blank canvas.

the soldier: is white print on black background

the strider: is red paint on the yellowis-base colour of the strider

now th red replaces the the "exact" white pattern on the soldier.

you am quiting this stuff because I am sure will kill me in the end. I dont care anymore I you are right or I am right. lets end this unagreement right now. we both are right and we both are wrong.

if we dont stopp this then my children will hate yours visa versa and we are gettign a romeo and juliet sitation about one off our grandchildren falling in love etc.. en they will get killes

so bye!

nah...as long as we keep it civilised as we have done this far...it's no problem.

but yeah it really doesn't matter that much(as long as I'm right :p just kidding) but hey! you wanted proof and I gave you that.

but yeah...lets just wait for the game to come out...

thnx man.. i am glad we can cut the crap because befoere you know it this gets childisch en we are trowing rocks to proove point :)

friends? :)

Depending on where you are from words can carry different meanings no matter what it says in the dictionary. In this case thats probably no the reason. However sometimes you have to use the best word to fit. Perhaps negative or inverted was the only word to fit it. You could mean that the colours aren't exact opposites but that the darker bit is now the lighter bits and the other way round.

You are arguing over a stupid little thing. NOW JUST STOP!

not arguing in my opponion...just discussing. there's a difference...

btw. farrow you're still not getting what I'm saying about the blank canvas and painted parts.

but...uhm yeah lets get back on topic :p

I think they're bio-mechs or whatever...they seem like a mix of mechanics and organic-living stuff.... what I'm wondering is if they have some sort of pilote or if they just work on their own....

thnx man.. i am glad we can cut the crap because befoere you know it this gets childisch en we are trowing rocks to proove point :)

friends? :)

were we ever "not friends"?

then I think you've been taking this the wrong way mate...

we where friends.. but this sounds so much better as a closing argument tag :)

A lot of this was discussed in the HL Theories thread, but here is what I think:

1. Most of the Xen aliens were killed. The survivors were turned into slaves or altered genetically/mechanically (striders and flying manatees) by some higher form of intelligence.

Note Nihilath's comment:

"their slaves, we are their slaves, we are"

2. Whoever "has Xen under their control" is out to do the same with the Earth. Notice that the prowler is a cyborg-type human, as the combine soldiers may be as well. Their plan is to strip the earth of it's natural resources (i.e. water) and round up any resistance to turn them into combine soldiers.

Note Nihilath's comment:

"thiefs, you all are theifs, you all are"

3. The role of the G-Man is uncertain, however from Nihilath's comments:

"you are man, he is not man, for you he waits"
"decieve you, he will decieve you"

.. it is more likely that he is working for the Combine.

Time will tell.
But I hope we get to know whos side G-man is on. But him being with the Combine does make some sense though..
I looked at the video once more, and remembered that the,as the man in the video says, fortress (all the big,moving walls) is made by the Combine. What purpuse does this fortress have? And mainly, what's inside? Well, from what the video shows it's some kind of tower, to the looks it seem built of metal/steel and is constantly being built upon. My guess is that Gordon will find some way to enter this fortress and find out many many answers that we all have for so long wanted.
I have no doubt at all that the story in HL2 will be one of the best we have ever had in a FPS-game before.
And HL3 actually doesn't seem like a bad idea.

(sorry for any bad spelling)

The combine came from a merger between Microsoft and McDonald's. With the merge they created the ultimate monopoly. With their combined funds they bought out every other company on the planet and eventually started buying out some of the smaller nations. After a while they managed to buy the whole of Asia and Africa. What is going on in City 17 is the hostile take over of Europe.

Originally posted by Farrowlesparrow
The combine came from a merger between Microsoft and McDonald's. With the merge they created the ultimate monopoly. With their combined funds they bought out every other company on the planet and eventually started buying out some of the smaller nations. After a while they managed to buy the whole of Asia and Africa. What is going on in City 17 is the hostile take over of Europe.

That's a theory not so far from reality :devil:

Originally posted by mrBadger
Some Xen aliens apparently wil be your allies :)

You mean the Ant Lions? That's only because you have a "weapon" that fools them to think you'r one of them. It doesn't work on the bigger (higher ranked) creatures.

They said that slaves will be on your side now. As in the lightning dudes not the ant lions.

Just a question (don't say I'm stupid plz): What is the nihilant? Is it the big brainy guy in the end of HL? If it's not, tell me who it is...

Do we have to fight superbosses at each level end just like HL1?

I hope that if they make bosses it will be those "puzzle- kind -of- bosses" instead of those "empty-your-whole-arsenal-into-them-bosses"(they're sooo not fun!)

I find puzzle bosses annoying. i like to blast trough my bosses. not puzzle them to death :S

Back